Windows 10: ReFS Storage Space Volume fails to mount

Discus and support ReFS Storage Space Volume fails to mount in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 2-way mirrored storage space that reads as healthy when the ReFS volume is unmounted. The problem is when I try to mount it via diskmgmt,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Devon Yang, Apr 10, 2021.

1. ReFS Storage Space Volume fails to mount

I have 2-way mirrored storage space that reads as healthy when the ReFS volume is unmounted. The problem is when I try to mount it via diskmgmt, explorer will hang forever with System using about 10% CPU forever. I've tried leaving this process running for 4 days and it did not seem to complete any long running process.

Once the mount process is triggered, my system becomes unable to boot until I remove the disks, which disables the volume from attempting to be mounted. I then run automount off and automount scrub from diskpart to regain the ability to examine the Storage Space and unmounted volume when the disks are reattached. I'm desperately looking for either a way to copy the files off of this volume or some mechanism to repair this situation.

I'm currently running on Windows 10 Enterprise Insider Build 19043.906. This issue started occurring about a month ago when I was on the latest stable release after a reboot. I already tried resetting the OS, and then I tried moving to Insider builds to see if this was resolved there, but it is not.

ReFS Storage Space Volume fails to mount de6587df-1746-465b-ac0f-766172d4d148?upload=true.png

ReFS Storage Space Volume fails to mount ebb41ae5-3687-4ccf-980a-f259c65e83e7?upload=true.png

:)

Devon Yang, Apr 10, 2021
  2. zerobomb Win User

Storage Spaces full... Irreparably

I have a mirrored ReFS storage space, in which I am using 2.67TB of the available 4.10TB capacity. (i.e. I've got about 1.3 GB of stuff, but it's mirrored)

476GB drive (SSD, 99.6% used, retired)

931GB drive (HDD, 0.08% used, OK)

931GB drive (HDD, 96.3% used, OK)

1.81TB drive (HDD, 73.6% used, OK)

Windows has decided that something is full, and no longer allows me to access any of the files in the storage space. Attempting to open the drive in Explorer results in an error "S:\ is not accessible.
    There is not enough space on the disk"

In the event viewer, I find that ReFSv1 is throwing an error when trying to mount the volume at boot time:

"Volume is formatted as ReFS but ReFS is unable to mount it; ReFS encountered status An operation failed because the disk was full. If this is a thinly provisioned volume the physical storage backing this
    volume has been exhausted."

Failure reason: 0xc000007f

I have attempted Repair-VirtualDisk, but Get-StorageJob shows that the repair process is suspended at 0%.

Question: How do I either fix this, or recover the information from the storage pool?

zerobomb, Apr 10, 2021
  3. A.M. Win User
    ReFS is not listed as a format option when creating a mirrored storage space

I have two Windows 10 computers. Both are upgraded from Windows 7. When I create a storage space on one of these computers, I can format a two-way mirrored storage space as ReFS, but the other computer only lists NTFS for the same two drives.

If I create a mirrored ReFS space on the first computer and then plug in the drives into the second computer, Windows pops up an error message saying "This version of Windows doesn't support the ReFS format on drive".

How can I enable ReFS on the second computer?

4. ReFS Storage Space Volume fails to mount

ReFS Option Missing in Storage Spaces win 10 version 1709

I wish i wasn't in such a rush to get my pool back and that i had done what you suggested.

Instead, i just created a new NTSF storage space and will have to live with that until i go on a HDD spending spree ReFS Storage Space Volume fails to mount :p

MattWeiler, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

ReFS Storage Space Volume fails to mount

1. ReFS Storage Space Volume fails to mount - Similar Threads - ReFS Storage Space

2. Why doesn't ReFS show as an option in Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why doesn't ReFS show as an option in Storage Spaces: New HP Z2 Gen 5 workstation running Windows 11 22H2 and when I try to configure storage spaces my only option is NTFS although I have been watching YouTube videos claiming that the new ReFS is an option. How do I turn this on so that I can use it?...
  3. Why doesn't ReFS show as an option in Storage Spaces

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why doesn't ReFS show as an option in Storage Spaces: New HP Z2 Gen 5 workstation running Windows 11 22H2 and when I try to configure storage spaces my only option is NTFS although I have been watching YouTube videos claiming that the new ReFS is an option. How do I turn this on so that I can use it?...
  4. windows server 2016 and 2019 Storage Spaces Tier with refs and ntfs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows server 2016 and 2019 Storage Spaces Tier with refs and ntfs: When i use Windows Server 2016, ntfs write data will be written directly to the ssd layer, but in Windows Server 2019 and 2022, ntfs will write data directly to the hdd layer, resulting in very poor parity performance, how should I set up ntfs data to write directly to the...
  5. windows server 2016 and 2019 Storage Spaces Tier with refs and ntfs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows server 2016 and 2019 Storage Spaces Tier with refs and ntfs: When i use Windows Server 2016, ntfs write data will be written directly to the ssd layer, but in Windows Server 2019 and 2022, ntfs will write data directly to the hdd layer, resulting in very poor parity performance, how should I set up ntfs data to write directly to the...
  6. windows server 2016 and 2019 Storage Spaces Tier with refs and ntfs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Windows 10 Refs and Storage spaces raw

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Refs and Storage spaces raw: Hey, Summary: Had a crashed WS2019, reinstalled the OS with Win10H02. The SS drive is visible and shows "ok", however the drive is shown as "RAW" and can't be accessed. I upgraded the pool, still same. I enabled the REFS feature through the registry keys. Still nothing....
  8. Unable to reclaim the space i ReFS storage

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unable to reclaim the space i ReFS storage: i used th ReFS storage for Backups, and I deleted backup files to reclaimthe space but ihave reclaim minimal space, how can reclaim the space and why allfoldersi deleted are coming back?...
  9. Defragmentation of ReFS volume

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defragmentation of ReFS volume: Hello there everyone, I have created an ReFS volume on one of my 2.0TB hard drives, all is well, there is just a tiny bit of something that is getting me to worry. One: when I try to copy some files onto the drive the speed, occasionally, not all the time, drops to...
  10. Re-claim Free Space in Storage Spaces Volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Re-claim Free Space in Storage Spaces Volume: I have a Win10 machine with 1x 500GB SSD (boot drive) and 3x 3TB HDD. I have storage spaces set up for the HDDs and have noticed that any deleted data in the volume does not change "usage" according to storage spaces. Now it says my volume is full despite having only ~5TB on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. storage spaces refs error