Windows 10: Refund and Deactivation for a Windows 10 Product Key That won't Activate

Discus and support Refund and Deactivation for a Windows 10 Product Key That won't Activate in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I recently bought a Windows 10 Home product key straight from the Windows website for a new PC build that I'm doing. I initially used the product... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Operator_6O, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Refund and Deactivation for a Windows 10 Product Key That won't Activate

Hi,

I recently bought a Windows 10 Home product key straight from the Windows website for a new PC build that I'm doing. I initially used the product key on one build, but since Windows kept crashing and won't boot after three times of clean install and a BIOS update, I decided to start a new build. Before I switched over, I made sure to deactivate the product key, so I could use it on my new build. At least, that was the plan. Upon entering the product key into my new build, Windows recognized it but won't activate, saying that the product key is still being used on another device. This problem has given me more headaches than it warrants, so I would like to know if I could simply ask for Microsoft to directly deactivate this product key and give me a refund, and I'll just buy a new product key.

My thanks,

Operator_6O

:)

Operator_6O, Feb 28, 2021
  2. Brink Win User

Uninstall Product Key and Deactivate Windows 10

Deactivating Windows will not remove it from Microsoft's activation server.

It just simply deactivates Windows on the PC itself. This would only be helpful if say you're giving or selling the computer to someone, and don't want it to be activated with your retail product key.

You would only need to either uninstall or deactivate Windows on any other PC that you plan on using the same retail product key (license) on a new PC.

Brink, Feb 28, 2021
  3. Brink Win User

What you are referring to is for a full retail W8 license that has not been used to get and activate the free upgrade to Windows 10 offer. You basically traded in your W8 license for the free W10 upgrade.

The W8 license is linked to W10 and you get a digital license for W10 on Microsoft activation servers. You can only have W8 or free W10 activated with the product key (W8) or digital license (W10) on a PC and not both.

If you want to install and activate a retail W8 on a single PC with this W8 product key, then you will need to uninstall the free W10 or deactivate the W10 first. If this is an OEM W8, then you can only do this on the same PC it was originally installed on.

If you want to install the free W10 on a PC with its digital license, then you will need to uninstall W8 or deactivate the W8 first.

Microsoft knows what PC(s) you have them activated on since they must be activated by the Microsoft activation server. If you try to activate on more than one PC, then it gets flagged and denied.

Brink, Feb 28, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

Refund and Deactivation for a Windows 10 Product Key That won't Activate

You can only use the same Windows 8.1 product key used for the free offer to activate if you have the free Windows 10 uninstalled (ex: formatted) or deactivated.

Brink, Feb 28, 2021
Thema:

Refund and Deactivation for a Windows 10 Product Key That won't Activate

1. Refund and Deactivation for a Windows 10 Product Key That won't Activate - Similar Threads - Refund Deactivation Product

2. Windows 10 won't activate with a product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 won't activate with a product key: Hello,Windows 10 is asking me to activate it. I have located my product key, but Windows 10 absolutely refuses to accept it. It has detected that I have changed my motherboard and CPU, and has decided that this time out of the previous 3-5 times I have changed my motherboard...
  3. Windows 10 won't activate with a product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 won't activate with a product key: Hello,Windows 10 is asking me to activate it. I have located my product key, but Windows 10 absolutely refuses to accept it. It has detected that I have changed my motherboard and CPU, and has decided that this time out of the previous 3-5 times I have changed my motherboard...
  4. Windows 10 won't activate with a product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Product key not deactivating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product key not deactivating: I want to transfer my Windows 11 Pro account to a new PC. I ran the commands to deactivate the product key and removed my existing pc from the account. However, it is not deactivated and the other PC can't find the product key.Here's a screenshot. The pc still says that it's...
  6. Product key not deactivating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product key not deactivating: I want to transfer my Windows 11 Pro account to a new PC. I ran the commands to deactivate the product key and removed my existing pc from the account. However, it is not deactivated and the other PC can't find the product key.Here's a screenshot. The pc still says that it's...
  7. Refund for a Windows 10 Product Key That won't Activate

Refund for a Windows 10 Product Key That won't Activate: Hi, I recently bought a Windows 10 Home product key straight from the Windows website for a new PC build that I'm doing. I initiatially used the product key on one build, but since Windows kept crashing or won't boot after three times of clean install and a BIOS update, I...
  8. Deactivate product key

Deactivate product key: Hi, Can anyone guide me on how i can deactivate the key product and move the product key on a new device? The existing win 10 version is an upgrade from win 7 premium. If that helps? TIA...
  9. Windows 10 product key refund

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 product key refund: I purchased windows 10 to upgrade my computer from windows 7. I have been unsuccessful in upgrading and would like to receive a refund for the product code. Is that possible?...
  10. Product Key Deactivation

Product Key Deactivation: Hi all, I bought Windows 10 Home Edition when I built my PC a couple of years ago and I am now going to be selling it to build a new one. I will be keeping my SSD which Windows and other programs are currently installed on, putting in a new one and installing Windows on...