Windows 10: Reg Edit for run 3rd p AV?

Discus and support Reg Edit for run 3rd p AV? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; It's April 2019. Do I still need to run this registry edit in order to get a 3rd party AV to NOT run as a 'protected process'?... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Mustachio, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Mustachio Win User

Reg Edit for run 3rd p AV?

It's April 2019. Do I still need to run this registry edit in order to get a 3rd party AV to NOT run as a 'protected process'? https://www.windowscentral.com/how-k...g-third-party-antivirus-windows-10

Can't believe I get no search results on this. (Maybe due to the terms I used.) I'm not understanding 'protected process' but I certainly don't want to run 2 AV's simultaneously.

I want to run another AV and then turn it off when I game. I believe Windows Defender will automatically enable itself when I turn off my other AV, and then I can use Defender's game mode.

Does game mode keep scanning while I'm streaming a game from a site? Or does it just put Defender in some low level state, or even turn Defender off/no scanning? Does Defender start protecting me as soon as I disable my 3rd p AV?

Thank you very much.

:)

Mustachio, Apr 4, 2019
  2. mic1217 Win User

3rd party AV program

I'm trying to turn-on Windows Defender and I receive a message to uninstall 3rd party AV program. How do I identify the 3rd party AV program
    installed?

mic1217, Apr 4, 2019
  3. Le Boule Win User
    3rd party AV program

The message you are describing may be observed if another antivirus program is still installed or there are remnants of a third party antivirus program still installed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...b59cebc4f24/how-to-protect-your-windows-10-pc
    Note the statement "If you want to use Windows Defender Antivirus, uninstall all of your other antivirus programs and Windows Defender Antivirus will automatically turn on. You may be asked to restart your device."

Go to Security and Maintenance, look in 'Security' and see what program is listed under Virus Protection. Windows Defender will not be enabled and functioning properly if there is a program other than Windows Defender listed.

For further information see the reply of quietman7 in Windows Defender

You may want to try the steps recommended in Problems
    starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10
    to include running SFC, scanning for malware with Malwarebytes and running the software removal tools for any security software (Avast,
    AVG, McAfee, Norton, whatever) that may have previously been on the computer followed by a reboot? List of
    anti-malware product removal tools

And see Configure Windows Defender in Windows
    8, 8.1 and 10

If you can't resolve this issue suggest you post back in this thread and provide additional information.

Regards…

http://blog.emsisoft.com/2015/01/27/top-10-ways-pups-sneak-onto-your-computer-and-how-to-avoid-them/

Le Boule, Apr 4, 2019
  4. RaPiDo987 Win User

reg edit

Hey guys,

How can I edit a registry (reg edit thingie)?

Thanks*Toast :toast:

RaPiDo987, Apr 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Reg Edit for run 3rd p AV? - Similar Threads - Reg Edit run

2. link problems after reg edit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    link problems after reg edit: used reg edit to disable the "action needed" prompt on the wifi settings screen due to a bug it was causing, now any application wont open external links, takes me to the microsoft connect test page, however when opening my browser manually and pasting said link, it works...
  3. link problems after reg edit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    link problems after reg edit: used reg edit to disable the "action needed" prompt on the wifi settings screen due to a bug it was causing, now any application wont open external links, takes me to the microsoft connect test page, however when opening my browser manually and pasting said link, it works...
  4. Does The Immersive Search Reg Edit Still Work ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does The Immersive Search Reg Edit Still Work ?: Does the registry edit to enable the floating immersive search in the center of the screen still work in ? Every post or article I see was posted in 2019 … I just tried the registry edits and it doesn't seem to be working anymore. Jus upgraded to a large 32 inch monitor and...
  5. Batch or Reg edit to toggle Background profiles?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Batch or Reg edit to toggle Background profiles?: Is there some for sort of reg edit trick or batch file (The later being more like. I know they are very different) to set two background/wallpaper "profiles"? By default, I have my wallpaper set to a folder based slideshow. But if I host a conference meeting with a client, I...
  6. Change Regedit "*.reg" default from Merge to Edit

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Regedit "*.reg" default from Merge to Edit: After upgrading to Win10, the default action for *.reg moved to "Merge" (in Win8 I had set it to "Edit", but don't recall how). What's the trick? If I associate *.reg with Notepad, I totally lose the "merge" capability in the context menu, so that's not the answer... I want...
  7. Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender vs 3rd Party AV programs?: Since Windows Defender is dominating the AV world, now why do most enterprises are still sticking with 3rd party AV programs like McAfee or Symantec? Are these two still better than running Defender? I believe Defender even has its own central management solution for...
  8. Windows 10 Reg Edit

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Reg Edit: What is the highlighted line and how can I find out what it is and how can I remove it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/windows-10-reg-edit/3f857acd-1a99-415e-9cd2-6cebed323339
  9. Location of the "Edit" context menu entry for .reg files

in Windows 10 Support
    Location of the "Edit" context menu entry for .reg files: So when I edit .reg files, I prefer to edit them with VS Code instead of notepad by default. I notice that .reg files have an "edit" context menu entry that appears when you right click on them, but this context menu entry opens up notepad by default. It tried adding the...
  10. All reg edits undone after Anniversary upgrade.

in Windows 10 Support
    All reg edits undone after Anniversary upgrade.: So I upgraded to the Anniversary version, and all mt edits are gone. Thankfully I made a .reg backup before then. The question now is, can I use that .reg file in this version? Will it screw any thing up? 79776