Windows 10: Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive

Discus and support Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My SDD drive in my NUC crashed NUC 6i5, so it's abot 6 years old. I can buy a drive, however my OEM Windows 10 was installed in the old one. How can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by yakov22, May 26, 2023.

1. yakov22 Win User

Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive

My SDD drive in my NUC crashed NUC 6i5, so it's abot 6 years old. I can buy a drive, however my OEM Windows 10 was installed in the old one. How can I regain my OEM licence?

:)

yakov22, May 26, 2023

2. Change hard drive of Win7 system with Win8 OEM License

Hi,

My LENOVO M73 desktop computer was pre-loaded Win7 Pro OEM system with Win8 Pro OEM License, all come with first purchase .

Now, I would like to upgrade the hard drive and RAM. I have some question on it.

1. Upgrade the Hard drive and RAM and using Win7 Pro are allowed under the Win8 Pro OEM License Policy? (NO ANY CHANGE ON MOTHERBOARD) Is it legally?

2. How to Activate the Win7 Pro system after I reinstall / clone to another hard drive?

Chester

Chester321, May 26, 2023
  3. Change hard drive of Win7 system with Win8 OEM License

You appear to be talking about Downgrade Rights.

Contact Lenovo:

Here is the information about Downgrade rights. It is an old Microsoft link which they removed but the information still apples>

Device Partner Center

Downgrade rights for Windows software
    The following OEM versions of Windows software are eligible for downgrade rights.

[table][tr][td]Windows 10 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
    • Windows 8.1 Pro
    • Windows 7 Professional
    [/td][td]Windows 8.1 Pro includes downgrade rights to:
    • Windows 7 Professional
    • Windows Vista Business
    [/td][td]Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate include downgrade rights to:
    • Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, or Windows XP x64 Edition
    Note Other OEM Windows 7 versions (for example, Windows 7 Home Basic and Windows 7 Home Premium) do not include downgrade rights.[/td][/tr][/table]

Note downgrade rights are only available as long as Microsoft provides support for that earlier version,
    as outlined in the
    Windows lifecycle fact sheet

Steps for an end user to downgrade Windows software
    To downgrade eligible Windows software, end users must:

• Purchase a PC preinstalled with Windows software.
    • Accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
    • Perform the downgrade process to the eligible downgrade product using the media/key from a genuine, previously licensed OEM or retail product.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Bill Smithers, May 26, 2023
  4. GFritz_33 Win User

Replacing windows 10 after hard drive crash

Hi SarahKong

Thansks fo the response. I looked at the Wiki that you suggested. The first step of the wiki is as follows:

"

Determine whether your Windows 10 license can be transferred. There are some restrictions when it comes to transferring the license:[1]
    • If you upgraded from a retail version of Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, you can transfer your license (but only once).
    • If you have a full retail copy of Windows 10, you can transfer as many times you want.
    • If you upgraded from a OEM (pre-installed by your computer’s manufacturer) Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 license, your Windows 10 license cannot be transferred.
    • If you upgraded using the Easy Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro Pack from Windows 10, you can transfer the license using Digital Licensing."
    My windows 10 is the pre installed one that comes on my computer. So my situation does not seem to fit any of cases mentioned above.

i look forward to any other suggestions you may have.

Regards

GFritz_33, May 26, 2023
Thema:

1. Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive - Similar Threads - Regain OEM license

2. Licensing OEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Licensing OEM: Hey guys. I have a question and needed your support. I bought 40 computers with Windows 10 OEM from my company and I need to update Windows 10 to Windows 11, is it legal to update the operating system version so that there are no legal problems with MSFT? Thank you for your...
  3. Licensing OEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Licensing OEM: Hey guys. I have a question and needed your support. I bought 40 computers with Windows 10 OEM from my company and I need to update Windows 10 to Windows 11, is it legal to update the operating system version so that there are no legal problems with MSFT? Thank you for your...
  4. Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive: My SDD drive in my NUC crashed NUC 6i5, so it's abot 6 years old. I can buy a drive, however my OEM Windows 10 was installed in the old one. How can I regain my OEM licence?...
  5. Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Regain OEM license after crashe hard drive: My SDD drive in my NUC crashed NUC 6i5, so it's abot 6 years old. I can buy a drive, however my OEM Windows 10 was installed in the old one. How can I regain my OEM licence?...
  6. Will my new Hard drive keep the OEM license in my old laptop?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will my new Hard drive keep the OEM license in my old laptop?: I currently have a Lenovo Legion Y530, and have replaced the hard drive once before, due to busting the old one Gamer rage. I'm currently using a 250GB hard drive and have a 4TB one on the way. I talked with the Live help earlier, and the person said the license wouldn't work...
  7. OEM License

in Windows 10 Support
    OEM License: I bought an OEM win 10 for my new self built pc, I wish to know in order to keep my OEM win 10 valid which parts cannot change ? Can i change cpu, rams, graphics card and sound card ? If i am not wrong only the motherboard cannot change ? 169777
  8. OEM License

OEM License: Hi, I bought a windows 7 Home Edition retail version long time ago. I got upgraded for free to windows 10 when it came out. Now, I bought a new computer and I was able to transfer my license from my old computer to the new one. I found an OEM pro version for sale on...
  9. Installing Win 10 on a new hard drive using OEM license #

Installing Win 10 on a new hard drive using OEM license #: Hello, I have an old laptop that originally came with Windows 7 and has been upgraded to Windows 10. I have just replaced the original HDD with an SSD and am trying to reinstall Windows 10 using the OEM license key. I am planning on selling it, therefore the procedure of...
  10. new hard drive, OEM Windows 10 license

new hard drive, OEM Windows 10 license: Hi, I have a Dell desktop with a pre-installed Windows 10 Home copy. I need to replace the hard drive due to speed / noise issues. My question is, if I get a new hard drive, how can I install Windows 10 on it again? And how to ensure that will be a "valid" licensed copy?...