Windows 10: Regarding Asus Touchpads and Windows 10 Updates

Discus and support Regarding Asus Touchpads and Windows 10 Updates in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After spending the last 24 hours without one, I was finally able to restore the touchpad function on my new Asus R541NA notebook. It disappeared... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GenXRailMedia, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Regarding Asus Touchpads and Windows 10 Updates

After spending the last 24 hours without one, I was finally able to restore the touchpad function on my new Asus R541NA notebook. It disappeared yesterday. This was the second time it has happened after a Windows 10 update. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember the exact steps I had taken the first time and spent (also read: wasted) much more time trying to fix it the second time.

Prior to the touchpad loss, I lost an hour of productivity time due to a blue screen (WHEA) stopcode. I'm not sure if that issue caused my touchpad to disappear of if it was just coincidence.

What puzzled me was the last Windows 10 update had occurred 4-5 days earlier and my touchpad was fine until about an hour or so after the stopcode issue was resolved. For what it's worth, the stopcode was stuck at 0% waiting to restart the computer for like an hour. I had to do the online chat thing with Microsoft to finally get it to snap out of it.

Anyway, back to the touchpad issue: reinstalling the drivers was unsuccessful due to some sort of error in the installer package. I called Asus support and they were able to walk me through the process of restoring it. That involved doing the hard reboot (holding the power button for 30 seconds, then F2, etc...) reaching the bios utility and changing and saving the configuration or something like that. Once the touchpad function was restored, I asked the support agent how to prevent this from happening yet again He indicated that he didn't know and it seemed to be a Windows issue. So here I am.

How can I prevent Windows 10 from unceremoniously uninstalling my touchpad driver every time it updates?

Yesterday was already a bad day without the computer issues (I threw my back out and have had lots of personal turmoil) so I really don't care to have to go through that kind debacle again.

:)

GenXRailMedia, Nov 17, 2018
  2. Joan Pin Win User

ASUS Touchpad not working

Hi Cyril,

There's a possibility that you're getting this concern due to an out-dated driver. For us to better assist you, we'd like to ask a few questions:

• Were there any recent changes prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest that you check if ASUS Touchpad is enabled on your device. To do that, you may follow these steps:

• Type Settingson the search bar and press Enter.
    • Select Devices.
    • Click Mouse & touchpad.
    • Select Additional mouse options on the right pane.
    • Choose Device Settings (some called ELAN) pane, check Yes/No of Touchpad. If
      No, click Enable and select OK.

Let us know how it goes.

Joan Pin, Nov 17, 2018
  3. touchpad gestures two finger scroll not working Asus 501

Hi there,

1. Go to N501VW | ASUS Global Downloads
    2. Download the latest ATK - ATKPackage driver
    3. Download the latest TouchPad - ASUS Smart Gesture (Touchpad Driver)
    4. Uninstall both the Touchpad driver and the Asus ATK package driver.
    5. Reboot
    6. First install ATKPackage driver (IMPORTANT to do this FIRST)
    7. Reboot
    8. Then install the TouchPad driver (may need to reboot)
    9. Test if all is working as it should

I had this same issue with my Asus UX305 when I upgraded to Windows version 1803 and doing the above steps solved the issue for me.

slicendice, Nov 17, 2018
  4. ARC
    Arc Win User

Regarding Asus Touchpads and Windows 10 Updates

ASUS USB Ports and Touchpad Not Working after Windows 10 update

You are most welcome. Regarding Asus Touchpads and Windows 10 Updates :)

Some gestures and hotkeys are associated with Asus ATK. So it should be the very initial step to do it, as it was among the very first replies you have got. But ATK has its own dark side, sometimes.

A system restore point will be a very good idea. I would like to suggest one more thing, a system image. Make a system image of the current working state to an external disk. If things go very wrong, restore of the image will be easier.

Will be eager to know the situation after the windows updates.

Thema:

Regarding Asus Touchpads and Windows 10 Updates

1. Regarding Asus Touchpads and Windows 10 Updates - Similar Threads - Regarding Asus Touchpads

2. Asus touchpad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Asus touchpad: I accidentally deleted the touchpad driver in my computer and I cannot get it back, now the touchpad is not working at all. how can i get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/asus-touchpad/007f10df-6173-4c64-a20f-9bd12ef1a18d
  3. Asus touchpad

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Asus touchpad: I accidentally deleted the touchpad driver in my computer and I cannot get it back, now the touchpad is not working at all. how can i get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/asus-touchpad/007f10df-6173-4c64-a20f-9bd12ef1a18d
  4. Asus touchpad

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Asus Touchpad

Asus Touchpad: My touchpad is working but not some of the features such as two finger tap for a right click and three fingers up for displaying all open apps. I tried to update the driver but the touchpad does not appear as an option only a mouse. I am using an ASUS computer....
  6. ASUS touchpad not working

ASUS touchpad not working: Hello all, I have run into quite a few issues with my touchpad. I love my laptop but the touchpad is the only downfall. After many issues and troubleshooting, I have found solutions that I'd like to share it with you all. Fix 1. Download the ATK package found of the...
  7. ASUS touchpad not working

ASUS touchpad not working: My ASUS touchpad is not working and I've literally tried everything, also my laptop is completely up to date. I tried to install the touchpad drivers from the ASUS official site but it also didn't work. The "12C HID Device" driver is also showing an error in the device...
  8. Touchpad Windows 10 / ASUS Laptop

Touchpad Windows 10 / ASUS Laptop: Please help, I'd like to disable the touchpad on my ASUS laptop. I only use a mouse and when I'm typing many times the curser on touchpad screws everything up....
  9. regarding touchpad

regarding touchpad: how to activate touchpad gestures https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/regarding-touchpad/7cc2a140-28ba-4298-bb25-3c9f918b8a2b
  10. ASUS touchpad not working after Windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ASUS touchpad not working after Windows 10 updates: The touchpad not working (scrolling) after a Windows 10 update is not new. The solution has always been to uninstall the SmartGesture touchpad program and the ATK drivers and reinstall them. That always fixes it. However, the 1809 upgrade attempts have deleted parts of the...