Windows 10: Regedit broke

Discus and support Regedit broke in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was restoring my previous regedit to remove some changes, and somehow this broke my computer. I haven't rebooted, as I'm afraid that the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ZaneYates, Mar 22, 2019.

1. ZaneYates Win User

Regedit broke

I was restoring my previous regedit to remove some changes, and somehow this broke my computer. I haven't rebooted, as I'm afraid that the computer won't start up again.

However, even having not rebooted, nothing works.

Any files say "registry value not found"

I can't open the registry, or anything else, as it says "side by side configuration error"

and command prompt opens, but doesn't work because it can't run as administrator. (I'm on an administrator account, but when running command prompt as administrator, it says "side by side error" As a result, sfc /scannow is out of question.

I can't reset the pc, as that doesn't open, nor does anything else related to restoring the pc.

I can't uninstall, or reinstall the Visual C++ runtime as it gives me an error when I click on it.

To rehash, the only thing that works right now is the fact that my desktop displays, and I can open command prompt. (But not in administrator) I can also open control panel, but changing anything in it gives an error.

I'm assuming at this point, I'll have to hard reset it, but figured that I should at least bring this issue forward in case there was anything I missed doing first.

:)

ZaneYates, Mar 22, 2019

2. Windows 10 broke my steam

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Method 1: Try updating the Video card drivers and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to update the Video card driver:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand ‘Display Adapters’.
    • Right-click on the Video card listed and click on ‘Update Driver Software’.

Method 2: Try installing the game in Compatibility mode and check.

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

• Right click the Game setup file and select Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.
    • Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
    • Tap or click the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click OK.
    • Try installing the Game and check.

If still the issue persist then I suggest you to follow the suggestion provided by crazzilla replied on August 3, 2015 from the below link and check if it helps.

Windows 10 & Steam Gaming - most games broke

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Mar 22, 2019
  3. RDrewD2 Win User
    How to find--regedit

Just type regedit in your search Windows/Cortana box and hit return, or click it at the top of the results list.
    Or hit Windows key + R and in the box, type
    regedit and hit return or OK. Or in file explorer click to This PC> C:> Windows> regedit.

RDrewD2, Mar 22, 2019
  4. Regedit broke

difference in regedit than the instructions

oh boy
    you better explain that one to me

i just followed your steps to get me C:\User\Frank
    never did anything else in regedit

njnitehawk, Mar 22, 2019
Thema:

Regedit broke

1. Regedit broke - Similar Threads - Regedit broke

2. My windows 8 can't run exe files aven after using regedit. Is it a software related problem?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows 8 can't run exe files aven after using regedit. Is it a software related problem?: Hi.I bought a Windows surface with Windows 8 and reseted it to factory settings. It is connected to my Microsoft account, but I don't seem to be able to run .exe files. I'm trying to install Google Chrome on it but it says "This app can't run on your PC". I tried using...
  3. My windows 8 can't run exe files aven after using regedit. Is it a software related problem?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My windows 8 can't run exe files aven after using regedit. Is it a software related problem?: Hi.I bought a Windows surface with Windows 8 and reseted it to factory settings. It is connected to my Microsoft account, but I don't seem to be able to run .exe files. I'm trying to install Google Chrome on it but it says "This app can't run on your PC". I tried using...
  4. Windows .exe file association is broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows .exe file association is broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...: I accidentally changed my default exe file opener to Adobe Acrobat, when I ran the .exe file it appeared select an app to open this .exe file. when I run regedit, cmd, notepad and taskmgr it shows application not found how do i solve it?...
  5. Windows .exe file association is broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...

Windows .exe file association is broken - every program including cmd, regedit, notepad,...: I accidentally changed my default exe file opener to Adobe Acrobat, when I ran the .exe file it appeared select an app to open this .exe file. when I run regedit, cmd, notepad and taskmgr it shows application not found how do i solve it?...
  6. Regedit Windows 11 Home - Disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Regedit Windows 11 Home - Disabled: Hello Everyone,Been using Win 11 for a while.Need to edit the Registry to get the extended Properties Menu that's helpfully been removed by Microsoft as the default setting.The problem is that Regedit will no longer permit modification of the appropriate keyHave tried the...
  7. Regedit Windows 11 Home - Disabled

Regedit Windows 11 Home - Disabled: Hello Everyone,Been using Win 11 for a while.Need to edit the Registry to get the extended Properties Menu that's helpfully been removed by Microsoft as the default setting.The problem is that Regedit will no longer permit modification of the appropriate keyHave tried the...
  8. I changed the username on my PC with Regedit and stuff and now desktop broke

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I changed the username on my PC with Regedit and stuff and now desktop broke: Hello, so I wanted to change my account name because it was my full legal name, I dont want that on the internetI made a new local user and changed the name of it and now it pops up an error saying "C:/Users/myoldusername/Desktop was not found" then a bunch of useless junk,...
  9. I changed the username on my PC with Regedit and stuff and now desktop broke

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I changed the username on my PC with Regedit and stuff and now desktop broke: Hello, so I wanted to change my account name because it was my full legal name, I dont want that on the internetI made a new local user and changed the name of it and now it pops up an error saying "C:/Users/myoldusername/Desktop was not found" then a bunch of useless junk,...
  10. I changed the username on my PC with Regedit and stuff and now desktop broke

Users found this page by searching for:

1. regedit broke