Windows 10: regedit.exe & MMC non-responsive to [some] mouseclick/hotkey commands

Discus and support regedit.exe & MMC non-responsive to [some] mouseclick/hotkey commands in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Summary: * regedit.exe & MMC respond to keyboard press [alt-space-n] to Minimize -- but NOT to that command bound to a mouse-click. * regedit.exe &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by newdev, Dec 28, 2020.

1. newdev Win User

regedit.exe & MMC non-responsive to [some] mouseclick/hotkey commands

Summary:

* regedit.exe & MMC respond to keyboard press [alt-space-n] to Minimize --
    but NOT to that command bound to a mouse-click.

* regedit.exe & MMC -- DO respond to mouse-click [win-d] (Show Desktop/Minimize ALL),
    as well as the keyboard press of both [win-d] and [win-m] .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm running a fresh install of Win10 LTSC 2019 on a new 9th gen i7 - 32 gb - NVMe 1 TB,
    and running StrokeIt, AHK, & MMC as Admin --
    & of course neither Windows\regedit.exe or ..\System32\regedit32.exe will allow Run as Admin.

I have success on Win7 Ultimate x64 running the following AHK commands
    bound to a Logitech G300s mouse using Logitech software --

and though my AHK is an old version 1.0.48.05 --

except for these 2 programs in win10,
    the rest of my lengthy AHK script works fine just the same as it does in win7 --

and this includes some "fringe commands ala Linux x-Mouse" -- >
    such as moving/resizing windows w/ [key hold down + L or R button click-hold-drag] --

so this makes me want to believe that this issue is not from old AHK,
    since it performs everything else fine in Win10.

Logitech mouse bindings:

*Button 4: alt-g --> bound to AHK (either with [alt-space-n] or [WinMinimize] depending on the app)

*Button 5: win-d --> Show Desktop (Minimize All)

The Button 5 binding is NOT tied to AHK -- it's a universal Windows command,
    and both regedit & MMC DO respond to this mouse button press ! !

Here's Button 4 successfully running in win7 bound to this AHK:

;MMC
    #IfWinActive, ahk_class MMCMainFrame
    !g::WinMinimize
    return
    #IfWinActive

;RegEdit
    #IfWinActive, ahk_class RegEdit_RegEdit
    !g::WinMinimize
    return
    #IfWinActive

But neither one of these bindings works in Win10.

So I tried the alternate method of using [alt-space-n] instead of [WinMinimize],
    and neither of these work either, although BOTH bindings will work in Win7.

;MMC
    #IfWinActive, ahk_class MMCMainFrame
    !g:: Send {Alt}{space}{n}
    return
    #IfWinActive

;RegEdit
    #IfWinActive, ahk_class RegEdit_RegEdit
    !g:: Send {Alt}{space}{n}
    return
    #IfWinActive

Both regedit32.exe & MMC respond to [alt-space-n] from the keyboard - and minimize properly,

... but NOT as a command programmed into the Logitech G300S [alt-g] !

I'm on English US regular keyboard setting -- NOT English International,
    so I don't think there's an issue w/ the alt key/gravure.

* Finally - I notice this behavior -- in regedit only --

when I mouse click (sending [alt-space-n] command),
    the File menu becomes focused/selected.

Then if I press the Spacebar once, the desired Windows menu from the top Left shows itself,
    and responds to the final keyboard press of [n] to Minimize.

Thx for plowing through it this far if you're still here - maybe you'll have some insight? Cheers ...

:)

newdev, Dec 28, 2020

2. exe files and regedit

I can't access any of my exe files or regedit. Every time I double click on a program, Windows 10 tells me to find an app to open it. When regedit came up the first time, I looked up the steps to getting my exe files to be recognized by Windows 10 and
    that didn't work. Now, I can't get regedit to work! i am so frustrated. Could somebody help me and tell me what is going on here please?

JuniorHamilton1, Dec 28, 2020
  3. Dr.Shubs Win User
    regedit,command prompt & .exe files does not open

regedit, command prompt does not show run as administrator option and also does not open any .exe files on my windows 10 laptop.it says to look for an app in Microsoft store.

Dr.Shubs, Dec 28, 2020
  4. regedit.exe & MMC non-responsive to [some] mouseclick/hotkey commands

Non response

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to run system file checker scan and check the issue.

Sfc /scannow will inspect all of the important Windows files on your computer, including Windows DLL files. If System File Checker finds an issue with any of these protected files, it will replace it.

Follow the steps:

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Command prompt (Admin).
    • At the Command Prompt, type:
      sfc/scannow
    I suggest you to run the app troubleshooter and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Hope it helps.

Let us know the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

regedit.exe & MMC non-responsive to [some] mouseclick/hotkey commands

1. regedit.exe & MMC non-responsive to [some] mouseclick/hotkey commands - Similar Threads - regedit exe MMC

2. Taskbar non-responsive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar non-responsive.: Hello, The icons on my taskbar are not responding. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-non-responsive/f4f5d46a-6335-40e1-9fc4-23e04a991850
  3. Taskbar non-responsive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Taskbar non-responsive.: Hello, The icons on my taskbar are not responding. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-non-responsive/f4f5d46a-6335-40e1-9fc4-23e04a991850
  4. Non-responsive touchscreen keyboard

Non-responsive touchscreen keyboard: Hi,I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC v1809 on a touchscreen PC.This PC came with a piece of equipment my company purchased, and when it was installed, the touchscreen keyboard worked fine; it popped up when you entered a text input field, or when you pressed the button...
  5. Some hotkeys not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Some hotkeys not working: I have an Asus vivobook that has hotkeys available and can be activated by pressing the fn+desired key. Recently, the shortcut fn + f7 for screen off and fn + f9 shortcut for disabling touchpad is not working. Other functions such as fn + f5,f6 for adjusting brightness and fn...
  6. Restore regedit value for exe.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restore regedit value for exe.: I accidentally changed tge default value for exe under regedit. This turns all the programmes and applications into exe file and makes me unable to open all the applications directly. How can i restore the default value so that I can open the applications as the default way?...
  7. regedit,command prompt & .exe files does not open

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    regedit,command prompt & .exe files does not open: regedit, command prompt does not show run as administrator option and also does not open any .exe files on my windows 10 laptop.it says to look for an app in Microsoft store....
  8. Slow or non responsive computer

Slow or non responsive computer: Click on a link and nothing happens. App like Scatter hold up poker doesn't boot, or very slowly boots. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-or-non-responsive-computer/a61738d5-2bac-4f66-b097-8a079a42e49d
  9. exe files and regedit

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    exe files and regedit: I can't access any of my exe files or regedit. Every time I double click on a program, Windows 10 tells me to find an app to open it. When regedit came up the first time, I looked up the steps to getting my exe files to be recognized by Windows 10 and that didn't work. Now, I...
  10. some hotkeys are not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    some hotkeys are not working: some of the hotkeys like camera f6 key, flightmode f7 key, microphone f8, key isn't working after win 10 update and also when I press the hotkey its logo is not displaying...