Windows 10: Regedit freezes on export

Discus and support Regedit freezes on export in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 10 regedit freezes when trying to export a registry key. To fix this, open the print dialog (ctrl+p) first, then close it and you can export... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by yogalD, Aug 2, 2015.

1. yogalD Win User

Regedit freezes on export

In Windows 10 regedit freezes when trying to export a registry key. To fix this, open the print dialog (ctrl+p) first, then close it and you can export registry keys. No idea why this is the case but it works.

Original post:
    Whenever I try to export a registry key from regedit, when I click file->export it freezes. This only occurs in Windows 10, did Microsoft accidentally break regedit or something?

:)

yogalD, Aug 2, 2015
  2. ruggb Win User

regedit won't import its export

When I export a key with regedit, regedit won't import it properly.

The registry key was generated by a program.

The values of registry names that do not import contain CR CR LF at the end of each line in the value

The value in the program that created the entry looks like this

G1 Z5 ; lower bed

G1 X50 Y260 f5000 ; move to back left

G28 Z0 ; test Z0

That is one value for a script name with CRs & LFs

The reg file contains this:

Regedit freezes on export [​IMG]

So the 0d 00 0d 00 0a 00 must be terminating the " and since that makes it invalid the entry is dropped on import.

So how does the program create it in the first place?

How can I successfully export then import this key?

I need to do this so I won't have to recreated the entries and potentially get them wrong on another computer.

These are the entries in the registry

Regedit freezes on export [​IMG]

The entries ending with NAME do import as there are no CR or LF in them.

ruggb, Aug 2, 2015
  3. regedit won't import its export

HI,

Only look at a .reg file with Notepad or another utility made to do so. Not with Word or any word processor.

These are about Vista and Windows 7 however the basics or the Registry are still the same.

Editing the Windows Vista Registry with Regedit

Editing the Windows Vista Registry with Regedit

Vista Registry Editor - Examples of .Reg Files

Windows Vista Registry editor examples .reg files

Editing the Windows 7 Registry with Regedit

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/windows7/windows7_registry_benefits.htm

Examples of Windows 7 Registry .Reg Files
    http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/windows7/windows7_registry_reg_file.htm

Windows registry information for advanced users

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/256986/windows-registry-information-for-advanced-users

How to backup the registry - Windows 8. 8.1, & 10

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows?wa=wsignin1.0?wa=wsignin1.0#duplicate=0

There is a wealth of information about the Windows Registry available on the intenet.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Regedit freezes on export

Same problem here. Running Windows 10 Pro.

Wizardkoer, Aug 30, 2015
  5. yogalD Win User
    Do you happen to be using OldNewExplorer? If so then remove it and download the newest version.

yogalD, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Regedit freezes on export

1. Regedit freezes on export - Similar Threads - Regedit freezes export

2. Regedit

in Windows 10 Customization
    Regedit: Registry key cannot be opened. An error is preventing this key from being opened. Details: The system cannot find the file specified. Also i cant open it, delete it, give permissions, do anything to it....
  3. Regedit

Regedit: Hi im edited regedit options i dont understand why programs not vorking please hoe to reset regedit im tested all tutorial ,not vorking export import not vorking my problems : widows search not vorking long black screen loafing microsoft apps not vorking please help...
  4. Accidentally deleted something in Regedit but I have a export.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accidentally deleted something in Regedit but I have a export.: I have a export of the file, but how do I put it back to regedit? Help please. submitted by /u/VernabR [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kvi7l0/accidentally_deleted_something_in_regedit_but_i/
  5. Computer Freezing When Importing/Exporting Photos

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Freezing When Importing/Exporting Photos: This problem originated in Lightroom, but was reproduced in Capture One as well. When importing or exporting photos, computer would freeze - everything is unresponsive - and to reboot, I have to cut the power switch on the power supply. Computer boots back up perfectly fine...
  6. Regedit

Regedit: Umm.... I don't really know how to start this my computer is behaving weirdly screenshots are not getting saved and i know the problem it's the regedit i have been modifying it bit too much lately so is there any way I can restore the registry to deafult without having to...
  7. regedit

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    regedit: Hello. Lately, when I boot up my Windows 10 computer, I have noticed that the regedit popup keeps appearing, no matter how many times I press no. When I press yes, the regedit disables my task manager and I have to manually activate it again. Not only this but when I try...
  8. Exporting registry with regedit "hangs"

in Windows 10 Support
    Exporting registry with regedit "hangs": I have recently noticed that exporting my registry "hangs" forever. I did a little investigation and found that there appears to be a looping entry into the exported registry keys:...
  9. Regedit

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Regedit: Looking for help with how to clean up My regedit. 47927
  10. Regedit Not Responding during Export of All records

in Windows 10 Support
    Regedit Not Responding during Export of All records: I have a Toshiba 64 bit laptop running Windows 10 Home Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413). I wanted to see if I could figure out how to disable Cortana (it's a memory hog and I NEVER use it) and wanted to look through the Registry file. As I always do when opening the...