Windows 10: Regedit Not Responding during Export of All records

Discus and support Regedit Not Responding during Export of All records in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a Toshiba 64 bit laptop running Windows 10 Home Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413). I wanted to see if I could figure out how to disable Cortana... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by morlaine, Jul 14, 2017.

1. morlaine Win User

Regedit Not Responding during Export of All records

I have a Toshiba 64 bit laptop running Windows 10 Home Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413). I wanted to see if I could figure out how to disable Cortana (it's a memory hog and I NEVER use it) and wanted to look through the Registry file. As I always do when opening the Registry, even if I am just looking at it, I always do a backup of the entire registry file, as a safety precaution. At least I thought it would be, till now.

When I did the Export to the usual folder, about 3 seconds into the export, a Not Responding message appeared in the title bar. It sat like that for about 10-12 seconds and then resumed. However, when I looked in File Explorer at the size of the backup file, it was almost double the size of the last one which was run on 7/9/17. So I ran the Export again, this time it ran seemingly with no problems. The size of this backup file was close to the one from 7/9/17.

Just out of curiosity, I ran the Export again and again it gave the Not Responding message. As with the previous one, it finally resumed and finished. The size of this file was again different from both of the previous ones and the one from 7/9/17. But this time it was smaller.

I ran the Export again three more times and only the last two were the same size. Now I wonder, how much credence do we give to the backup of the registry file? From this experience, I'd say it pretty hinky and probably not to be trusted.

Is there a way to get an accurate Export? One that can be trusted if it is needed? Does MS know about this problem, or care?

I included a screen shot showing the sizes of the registry file backups and I indicated in the names which were the result of Exports that had the Not Responding message.
    Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Attachment 144059

:)

morlaine, Jul 14, 2017
  2. JackyLuk Win User

How to export all stopwatch records from an Xpressmusic 5130?

Okay, thanks, I will copy them out by hand

JackyLuk, Jul 14, 2017
  3. How to export all stopwatch records from an Xpressmusic 5130?

@JackyLuk

Being an S40 device you can't even use an advanced file manager to explore all the C:\Private folders where this data is probably stored as you could upon S60 and S^3 devices unfortunately.

aspergerguy, Jul 14, 2017
  4. Regedit Not Responding during Export of All records

TairikuOkami, Jul 14, 2017
Thema:

Regedit Not Responding during Export of All records

1. Regedit Not Responding during Export of All records - Similar Threads - Regedit Responding during

2. recording toolbar of snipping tool not responding after recording

in Windows 10 Gaming
    recording toolbar of snipping tool not responding after recording: I recorded myself presenting a powerpoint presentation using the video recording capabilities of the snippet tool. When I clicked on the stop button, after a while, it stopped responding. I just see a blank white space. What happened to my recording? Did it record? Where do I...
  3. recording toolbar of snipping tool not responding after recording

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    recording toolbar of snipping tool not responding after recording: I recorded myself presenting a powerpoint presentation using the video recording capabilities of the snippet tool. When I clicked on the stop button, after a while, it stopped responding. I just see a blank white space. What happened to my recording? Did it record? Where do I...
  4. Touch not responding during login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touch not responding during login: My touchscreen of dell venue 8 pro tab is not responding during Windows 8 login. As a result I'm unable to enter my password. I tried rebooting and connecting with the power cord but it nothing worked. I'm also unable to do a PC reset as touch isn't responding on the recovery...
  5. Touch not responding during login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touch not responding during login: My touchscreen of dell venue 8 pro tab is not responding during Windows 8 login. As a result I'm unable to enter my password. I tried rebooting and connecting with the power cord but it nothing worked. I'm also unable to do a PC reset as touch isn't responding on the recovery...
  6. Accidentally deleted something in Regedit but I have a export.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accidentally deleted something in Regedit but I have a export.: I have a export of the file, but how do I put it back to regedit? Help please. submitted by /u/VernabR [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kvi7l0/accidentally_deleted_something_in_regedit_but_i/
  7. Not responding at all

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Not responding at all: Hi. Sorry to disturb but I need help! When I was using the laptop, it was fine, everything was going smoothly and well. When I added another tab, it suddenly stop moving. I can't move my mouse on the screen, can't click anything, can't exit from the tab. I can't even...
  8. Regedit crashes during registry searches

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Regedit crashes during registry searches: When I run a regedit search I am guaranteed that regedit will get stuck every single time while displaying the "Searching the registry" message box. When I eventually click the cancel button, I get the message that regedit has stopped working. I can repeat ad-nauseum, even...
  9. Exporting registry with regedit "hangs"

in Windows 10 Support
    Exporting registry with regedit "hangs": I have recently noticed that exporting my registry "hangs" forever. I did a little investigation and found that there appears to be a looping entry into the exported registry keys:...
  10. Regedit freezes on export

in Windows 10 Support
    Regedit freezes on export: In Windows 10 regedit freezes when trying to export a registry key. To fix this, open the print dialog (ctrl+p) first, then close it and you can export registry keys. No idea why this is the case but it works. Original post: Whenever I try to export a registry key from...