Windows 10: Registry Backup & Restore

Discus and support Registry Backup & Restore in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; After becoming disenchanted with the Windows Restore Point methodology, I’ve started taking manual registry backups using ‘RegEdit’. My query is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Ian Mosley, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Registry Backup & Restore

After becoming disenchanted with the Windows Restore Point methodology, I’ve started taking manual registry backups using ‘RegEdit’.

My query is that if I need to restore from one of these backups, does it completely replace the current contents of the registry, or, does it merge the backup with the current registry contents, leaving the possibility open that I may retain ‘extraneous’ registry keys?

:)

Ian Mosley, Jan 10, 2021
  2. zbook Win User

How to backup and restore registry using only win10 iso command prompt

In a link it suggested several registry troubleshooting steps for a Windows with black screen.

For Windows 10 1909 how do you backup and restore one registry change using a windows 10 iso command prompt?

If more than one registry entry is modified how do you backup and restore a second change?

In addition to modifying one or two commands how do you backup and restore the whole registry when the only access is via a windows 10 iso command prompt?

zbook, Jan 10, 2021
  3. zbook Win User
    How to backup and restore registry using only win10 iso command prompt

The only access post windows upgrade is Windows RE using a windows 10 iso.

Registry steps may be needed that require deletion of the registry entries.

Aren't there two methods for backup: a single change and the whole registry?
    I've never done either and need specific steps using Windows RE command prompt.
    Also I've never restored a registry backup.
    How do you restore a single backup using Windows RE command prompt?
    And how do you restore the whole backup?

Again I've never done any significant changes in the registry and need specific steps using only the Windows 10 iso.

zbook, Jan 10, 2021
  4. Registry Backup & Restore

How to restore registry values?

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

You can perform system restore and check if it helps:

Perform System restore.

I suggest you to perform system restore and select a date prior to the changes which was done with the registry values and check if the issue gets fixed.

To perform System restore:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      System.
    • In the left pane, click on System Protection.
    • Select the option to system restore
      > next. It will show all restore points already created.
    • Select the date prior to the date on which you have made the registry changes.
    Registry disclaimer

To do so: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these
    steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article
    in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Try the above step and let us know the status of the issue. We will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jan 10, 2021
Thema:

Registry Backup & Restore

1. Registry Backup & Restore - Similar Threads - Registry Backup Restore

2. backup one and restore to a new apps, settings, including registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    backup one and restore to a new apps, settings, including registry: My computer has had multiple problems so HP is sending me a replacement. The replacement should be essentially the same system this time with working USB ports. My system required a registry fix to get the storage correct and I have a few apps and some system settings such as...
  3. restore registry from backup under USB command prompt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    restore registry from backup under USB command prompt: I made an incorrect registry change and the system fails to boot and will not go into recovery mode. I have booted from a USB and, using the command prompt, checked RegBack and found it empty. I did make a manual backup of the registry before I made the change. Is it possible...
  4. Registry Backups

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Registry Backups: Based on a lot of Googling and information from this forum I created the below batch file to backup my Windows 10 registry from an elevated cmd prompt. Everything is working perfectly but I have a question on what I'm backing up. Are there other registry hives/locations that...
  5. Restore Registry Backup With PC Not Booting

Restore Registry Backup With PC Not Booting: Windows 10 (64Bit) If a PC's registry is backed up to a USB flash drive and after messing with the registry, for some reason, it won't boot normally. How do you restore the registry's backed up image? If I run a LiveCD (USB), that will only run with the portable Windows. The...
  6. Restore Registry Backup With PC Not Booting

in Windows 10 Support
    Restore Registry Backup With PC Not Booting: Windows 10 (64Bit) If a PC's registry is backed up to a USB flash drive and after messing with the registry, for some reason, it won't boot normally. How do you restore the registry's backed up image? If I run a LiveCD (USB), that will only run with the portable Windows. The...
  7. Registry backup.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry backup.: Hi… I'm writing for help; I need to back up my computer registry in Windows 10. In an informative way, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-backup/dd995970-3925-4591-b11b-6d5f49ea968f
  8. How to backup and restore the Windows Registry

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    How to backup and restore the Windows Registry: Quick Jump What is the registry? Why backup the registry? Wait, can’t I just copy all the files as I would usually do to backup files? Method 1: Backing up and restoring the registry using the Registry Editor (not recommended) Method 2: Backing up the registry using System...
  9. Unable to restore cCleaner registry backup

Unable to restore cCleaner registry backup: Hello everyone. I just migrated over from the Seven Forums where I've gone for assistance since Win7 came out. That old computer's power supply finally lost its smoke this week. I have a new HP Pavillion desktop PC and have already done something stupid. Don't scold me, I'll...
  10. Backup Registry, Reset Windows, and Restore Registry afterwards

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Registry, Reset Windows, and Restore Registry afterwards: This could be one of the ridiculous post have ever made. But, I have been wondering what will happen if I backup all of the registry keys, reset Windows 10, and then restore the registry keys? Will it affect device driver? Will the device be bricked? 62996