Windows 10: Registry Change For All Users - HKCU vs HKLM

Discus and support Registry Change For All Users - HKCU vs HKLM in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a very simple utility I found that has a few settings. If you make changes those settings are stored in HKCU\Software and then the product... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by js0873, Apr 3, 2019.

1. js0873 Win User

Registry Change For All Users - HKCU vs HKLM

I have a very simple utility I found that has a few settings. If you make changes those settings are stored in HKCU\Software and then the product name\Settings. I want to install the utility so that anyone on the machine that logs on has those same settings, so I installed the settings under HKLM instead, using the keys generated from HKCU when using the program and making setting changes. But it looks like that's not working, at least for some users. If a program needs to access its settings in the registry and they're not there in HKCU won't it look and grab them from HKLM, or is that a programmatic decision?

Any ideas how to get the settings to take effect for all logged on users?

:)

js0873, Apr 3, 2019

2. How to maintain my OS changes (HKCU registries, custom personalization) after sysprep process?

I have built a custom OS image with some changes in HKCU hive from Administrator account. After execute sysprep process using Autounnatend.xml file the OS begins good but I lost my changes in HKCU registries and other app lost likewise its configuration
    based on .ini file.

I did follow the step C of the below link Configuring Default User Settings – Full Update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

However the changes didn't work on Administrator account.

Is there a way to keep my HCKU changes and app customizations after sysprep?

Juan Carlos Albarrán, Apr 3, 2019
  3. SIW2 Win User
    DISM - Edit Registry on an Offline Image

Not clear what you are trying to do. There is no HKCU hive. That is key on your currently running system. It is a combination of the user settings in %userprofile%\ntuser.dat and links to HKLM\Software.

If you are trying to adjust user settings on the installation media - load users\administrator\ntuser.dat and users\default\ntuser.dat from the installation media. The ntuser.dat files are hives.

Regedit allows you to load hives under the HKLM or HKU keys.

SIW2, Apr 3, 2019
  4. Registry Change For All Users - HKCU vs HKLM

HKCU and HKU registry records

This is a bonehead question about the registry.
    Is the HKCU hive (if that's the right term) dynamically built from HKU\S-1-5-21-... records every time a user logged on?

I want to make some changes to the registry records of product - copying hundreds of configuration records from an old release set to a new release set. I'm very aware that this may be a big blunder. The records are in both HKCU and my HKU. If I change the HKCU registry records and am blown out of the water, will logging off and back on get me back to the unchanged HKU copy, or does Windows keep the two sets in sync?

I could (and probably will) export all the records I intend to change, but I could also just uninstall and reinstall the program if it fails to run. But I'm more worried about changing something I did not intend to change - something else in the HKCU hive.

I will take a complete backup of my system before doing any of this and plan on doing a system restore if I really hose things over, but I would rather have a quicker and more simple recovery.

pokeefe0001, Apr 3, 2019
Thema:

Registry Change For All Users - HKCU vs HKLM

1. Registry Change For All Users - HKCU vs HKLM - Similar Threads - Registry Change Users

2. How to switch between HKLM and HKCU quickly in Registry Editor

in Windows 10 News
    How to switch between HKLM and HKCU quickly in Registry Editor: [ATTACH]If you want to switch between the HKLM and HKCU keys quickly in the Registry Editor quickly, here is a small tip to help you. At times, you might need to find the same HKLM keys in the HKCU or vice versa. In such situations, you can follow this guide to switch between...
  3. Is registry hive "HKLM\BCD00000000" removed on Windows Server 2022?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is registry hive "HKLM\BCD00000000" removed on Windows Server 2022?: I don't see HKLM\BCD00000000 on my Windows Server 2022. Is it removed? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-registry-hive-hklmbcd00000000-removed-on/db4430db-774b-4352-91b3-0be0f2490dd3
  4. Edit PageSetup for all users with PowerShell ? HKLM ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edit PageSetup for all users with PowerShell ? HKLM ?: Morning, everyone, Sorry if the title is not very explicit. But here's my problem. I need to enable the "Print Background Colord and Images" setting for all users with PowerShell script. Currently I can activate it by the current user using an HKCU key...
  5. Invalid root in registry key "HKCU\software\wtjtpfxoogfjh" .

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Invalid root in registry key "HKCU\software\wtjtpfxoogfjh" .: What is this? Invalid root in registry key "HKCU\software\wtjtpfxoogfjh" . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/invalid-root-in-registry-key/6bc5c0c3-334b-46bd-aa97-96285f0fce79"
  6. Purpose and use of "HKCU\Console\WordDelimiters" (and related keys in the registry)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Purpose and use of "HKCU\Console\WordDelimiters" (and related keys in the registry): For lengthy, unfortunate, irrelevant reasons, I work with a large number of files whose filenames use underscores as word delimiters; and, the default behavior of the underscore in the English language packs (all variants, it seems) is to treat an underscore as a sort of...
  7. CCleaner large amount of Registry Errors with various HKCR, HKCU, HKLM key path - Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CCleaner large amount of Registry Errors with various HKCR, HKCU, HKLM key path - Windows 10: The various problems are ActiveX/Com, Application Paths, Installer Reference, Missing shared DLL, Open with Application Issue. Can I clean/delete these? Why am I getting these? Are the old windows files? I use Windows 10....
  8. Default User Name in HKLM-Winlogon & change in MSaccount log in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Default User Name in HKLM-Winlogon & change in MSaccount log in: While inspecting the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\winlogon I noticed the Default User Name still holds a previous record of previous ISP email address existing previous to Jan 2015. I did go into the Microsoft account and change the default email for...
  9. HKCU and HKU registry records

in Windows 10 Support
    HKCU and HKU registry records: This is a bonehead question about the registry. Is the HKCU hive (if that's the right term) dynamically built from HKU\S-1-5-21-... records every time a user logged on? I want to make some changes to the registry records of product - copying hundreds of configuration...
  10. Switch Between HKCU and HKLM Keys in Registry Editor in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Switch Between HKCU and HKLM Keys in Registry Editor in Windows 10: How to: Switch Between HKCU and HKLM Keys in Registry Editor in Windows 10 How to Switch Between HKCU and HKLM Keys in Registry Editor in Windows 10 System configuration information is stored centrally in a hierarchical database called the registry. You can use Registry...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windiws register HKCU versus HKCM

2. install for user allows accces to hkcu?

3. hklm is a combination of hkcu

4. modify default hkcu hive in install.wim,
  5. hklm versus HKCU registry,
  6. hklm all users vs hkcu,
  7. windows 10 default user registry hive,
  8. HKU account HKLM,
  9. HKU vs HKCU,
  10. can i set default hkcu for all users,
  11. hkcu vs hku,
  12. all hklm