Windows 10: Registry changes reset after restarting PC, but only for some changes. Problem is with PDF...

Discus and support Registry changes reset after restarting PC, but only for some changes. Problem is with PDF... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello. Very quick backstory is we run a web-based software that has an integration program that allows us to open PDFs from this software. It does not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Ryan L Richelson, May 5, 2020.

1. Registry changes reset after restarting PC, but only for some changes. Problem is with PDF...

Hello. Very quick backstory is we run a web-based software that has an integration program that allows us to open PDFs from this software. It does not currently work unless you open Reader and click to make it the default handler, even if you already have Adobe as your default. I went to the registry to see what was changing by hitting that button, and to see what this protocol handler the software uses was doing. This is all in Windows 10 Enterprise.

In the registry, PDFs are default to open with pdf_auto_file. In HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3757956179-2065393274-1453109089-153481\Software\Classes\.pdf the default is pdf_auto_file. With this as the default, the software will not open PDFs. If I change this from pdf_auto_file to AcroExch.Document.DC, the software will open PDFs. Changing it here also changes it in HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3757956179-2065393274-1453109089-153481_Classes\.pdf.

Alternatively, if I go to the linkprotocolhandler.exe that the software uses and attempt to run it, it says the file is associated with "%Program Files%\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "%1". I also found this in the registry in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\pdf_auto_file\shell\Open\command and also in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes and in the Software\Classes for the two paths listed above and that data is "%Program Files%\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "%1". If I change this to "C:\Program Files x86\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" "%1", the software also works. Changing it in one location changes it in all locations.

So I have two different ways to change the registry to get this software to correctly open PDFs. However, when I reset my PC, these values also reset and PDFs again don't work. So I have to do this change every time I restart my PC. I can't figure out why I can't get these to stick.

In the Advanced Permissions, I am NOT the owner. The owner is an Administrators of my PC name. However I DO have Full Control Access. The type is Allow to This key and subkeys. I have made other changes to my registry when setting the keyboard to have the num lock on when powering on. So I know I can make changes.

Can anybody help me with how to get these changes to stay permanently? In the FileExts\.pdf\OpenWithProgids, both pdf_auto_file and AcroExch.Document.DC are listed, but I don't want to start deleting pdf_auto_file randomly and hope nothing breaks. Thanks for any help and please let me know if you have questions or if something I said doesn't make sense.

:)

Ryan L Richelson, May 5, 2020

2. Print to PDF missing in Printer List

Hi William,

We suggest that you disable and re-enable the Print to PDF feature. Here are the steps:

• Click on the Start menu and type in Windows Features.
    • Choose Turn Windows features on or off.
    • On the next window, find Microsoft Print to PDF and disable it. Click
      OK to save changes.
    • Restart your PC.
    • Repeat the same steps to re-enable Microsoft Print to PDF.
    If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the troubleshooting steps suggested on the link below under
    Advanced:

Fix printer problems

Regards.

Rolando Vil, May 5, 2020
  3. pdf changes

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to follow these steps and then check if the issue persists:

• In the Search box, type “Default” without quotes and select
      Default programs (Desktop app) from the list of results.

• Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

• Scroll down and search for the extension .pdf.

• Double click on it or select it and click Change program.

• Now select Adobe reader from the list and click
      OK.

• Click on Close and close all Windows.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), May 5, 2020
  4. Registry changes reset after restarting PC, but only for some changes. Problem is with PDF...

Primary mouse button default changes on restart

Hello,

We understand the issue you are facing and will assist you. I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps:

• Press Windows+R keys and type “regedit”. Hit
      Enter.
    • Navigate to the following location:
      Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\Mouse
    • In the right pane, change the key for SwapMouseButtons from ‘0’ to ‘1’.

Note: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added
    protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, you can refer to the following steps to back the registry files on the computer:

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, May 5, 2020
Thema:

Registry changes reset after restarting PC, but only for some changes. Problem is with PDF...

1. Registry changes reset after restarting PC, but only for some changes. Problem is with PDF... - Similar Threads - Registry changes reset

2. Undoing changes after restart pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Undoing changes after restart pc: Sorry sir i have a problem after restart my pc .... After load 76 its showing undoing changes for long time... I hope u can solve my problem on windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/undoing-changes-after-restart-pc/7a114074-2d77-4c56-a94b-bcf2c449d792
  3. Undoing changes after restart pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Undoing changes after restart pc: Sorry sir i have a problem after restart my pc .... After load 76 its showing undoing changes for long time... I hope u can solve my problem on windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/undoing-changes-after-restart-pc/7a114074-2d77-4c56-a94b-bcf2c449d792
  4. Undoing changes after restart pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows changed after resetting this pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows changed after resetting this pc: Hello! I would like to ask for help and opinion for my current situation. I have TWO desktops, one was bought in 2014 and a new one this year. On my old desktop 2014, I purchased a PHYSICAL copy of WIN 10 HOME 64BIT ENG INTL 1PK DSP OEI DVD from a local computer store and...
  6. Windows changed after resetting this pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows changed after resetting this pc: Hello! I would like to ask for help and opinion for my current situation. I have TWO desktops, one was bought in 2014 and a new one this year. On my old desktop 2014, I purchased a PHYSICAL copy of WIN 10 HOME 64BIT ENG INTL 1PK DSP OEI DVD from a local computer store and...
  7. Windows changed after resetting this pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Registry change being reset

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Registry change being reset: Hi, I have recently bought a Dell G5 5590 i7950H laptop (with SSD and GeForce RTX 2060 6GB graphics card). Due to an aggressive form of power management for the audio system, when I have some speakers plugged into the headphones socket, the line is turned off with a loud...
  9. Registry change keeps reverting back after restart.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Registry change keeps reverting back after restart.: so my laptop has a popping sound problem and I fix it by using this method, I change all the registry value to 00 from the default 05. it keeps the registry value when I use shut down but it keeps reverting back to default (05) if I use a restart or if there's a windows...
  10. Windows in restart loop after changing a registry key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows in restart loop after changing a registry key: Hi, I was looking to change the display font for some applications in windows 10, I changed the key for MS Shell dlg2 in HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/FontSubstitues/ from "Tahoma" to "Segoe UI" after restart I, windows wont start. the boot dots...