Windows 10: Registry default icons customization not working anymore?

Discus and support Registry default icons customization not working anymore? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Greetings, I like to change many default icons (drive, folder, documents, downloads, pictures, desktop, web, control panel, recycling bin etcc). Not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/sephirothbahamut, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Registry default icons customization not working anymore?

Greetings,

I like to change many default icons (drive, folder, documents, downloads, pictures, desktop, web, control panel, recycling bin etcc). Not just manually replacing the icon of each folder individually.

I used to go through two different paths:

1. Edit the resources inside imageres.dll and shell32.dll
    2. Edit the registry at [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons] to override the default icons.

First approach always works, but upon each update i've to replace the file again; moreover in the unlikely possility that a newer version of windows updates these two files adding new icons i'd have to re-generate the two files from the new ones, replacing each icon manually again;

Second approach used to work, is update-safe, doesn't modify system files, BUT it doesn't work anymore.

For anyone curious you can open shell32.dll with a program like resource_hacker to see the icons it contains. The index of the icons is the one used in the registry to replace them.

For example

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons] "5"="...\FolderBack.ico,0" "6"="...\FolderFront.ico,0"

Would replace the back half and the front half images used to represent folders that contain some files with the two specified icons.

29 and 163 replace the arrow used on shortcuts, and so on.

Today i've updated windows to version 1909 and my icons customized through registry won't show anymore, i see the default ones everywhere.

I tried to both rebuild the icons cache

del %localappdata%\IconCache.db /A del "%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\iconcache*" /A

But after rebuilding it still had the default windows icons.

Am i missing something or last update broke that registry key's ability to override default icons? I'd like to be sure before resorting to the "replace shell32.dll" option.

submitted by /u/sephirothbahamut
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/sephirothbahamut, Jun 5, 2020

2. Cannot copy folders with their customized icons anymore

Since the last Windows 10 update, I cannot copy anymore folders retaining their customized icon: the icon gets reset systematically to the default one. How can I reset this feature to as it was before (i.e. folders were copied with their customized icons)?

JMFJMFJMFJMF, Jun 5, 2020
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jun 5, 2020
  4. Geosammy Win User

Registry default icons customization not working anymore?

Need Registry Value Data For Default Text Icon

Hi there,

I wanted to customize my text file icon,
    by replacing it with an icon I created.
    The registry change was successful.
    My custom made icon has now replaced the default icon.

However,
    I mistakenly forgot to make note of,
    or export the registry file default value.
    So that I could change it back to it's default value/icon in the future.

Would anyone know what value this registry entry needs to be,
    in order to restore it back to the default text icon?

Below is a screen shot of the registry entry in question,
    with the edited value.

Registry default icons customization not working anymore? [​IMG]

Any help with restoring the default value of this registry entry,
    will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Geosammy, Jun 5, 2020
Thema:

Registry default icons customization not working anymore?

1. Registry default icons customization not working anymore? - Similar Threads - Registry default icons

2. Resetting custom icons to default in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resetting custom icons to default in windows 11: Hi Everyone,I uploaded some custom icons to my apps but I want to restore them to the default icons. However, I don't know how to do this.Please may someone inform how to do thisKind Regards Aryan...
  3. Resetting custom icons to default in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Resetting custom icons to default in windows 11: Hi Everyone,I uploaded some custom icons to my apps but I want to restore them to the default icons. However, I don't know how to do this.Please may someone inform how to do thisKind Regards Aryan...
  4. Default Registries

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Default Registries: Please could someone tell me the default values for CoolSitchColumms, CoolSwitchRows and CursorBlinkRate in Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop submitted by /u/void_the_gardevoir [link] [comments]...
  5. Network icon not working anymore

Network icon not working anymore: I have a wonky internet connection so I really like to see how things are going by the small icon that is either Pc like or globe like. However my pc has been always showing the no internet icon no matter what my connection is actually like. What are things that could cause...
  6. I can't customize folder icons anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't customize folder icons anymore: I was able to customize folder icons but they changed into what looks like an empty folder. I tried restoring them to their original image and customizing it again but the same empty folder appears. The ico files I have just don't seem to work anymore. When I try to customize...
  7. Default Icons Not Working

Default Icons Not Working: I recently changed my icons and wanted to go back to default but it says it can't find the default file. the default icons are still in the taskbar tho. submitted by /u/emerald-kidd [link] [comments]...
  8. How to add custom folder icons as default?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to add custom folder icons as default?: hi, I am new to this forums, so pardon my mistakes... I would like to know how to change the default plain folder icons to custom folder as default... I was able to change lots of icons using customisergod from door2windows... but i got stuck with "folders which have...
  9. Custom Icons from registry

in Windows 10 Customization
    Custom Icons from registry: Hello, i'm new here. I was trying various ways of customizing default icons. I ended uop modifying both shell32.dll and imageres.dll. Anyway i was planning to make a .bat installer, and i had the doubt that using the same shell32 and imageres in different computers could...
  10. Classic Default Programs not working anymore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Classic Default Programs not working anymore: So as we know, in Windows 10 Redstone 3, the classic Default Programs which gives you full access to what extensions each program handles has been replaced with the very basic PC Settings varian of the Default Programs which doesn't fully associate a program with all the...