Windows 10: Registry edit mistake. Am I screwed?

Discus and support Registry edit mistake. Am I screwed? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I wanted to change my username because I wanted a different username in the filepath, so I did it from the control panel, originally. However, my old... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/GagaGievous, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Registry edit mistake. Am I screwed?

I wanted to change my username because I wanted a different username in the filepath, so I did it from the control panel, originally. However, my old username was still being shown in the filepath, and I read that I could change that with the Registry Editor. I did that in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Profile List. Once I changed the username to the new username I wanted, I restarted the computer, and now, instead of having a different username, I have an entirely new account. No, I did not make any back ups or saves. Is there any way I can get back my old account? In the file explorer, I can see my old account and all of the files associated with it, but I want to actually log into that account again. Is this possible?

submitted by /u/GagaGievous
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/GagaGievous, Feb 23, 2021

2. Registry editing

Hello,

This issue may have occurred after one of the following situations:

• You upgrade the Windows operating system.
    • You install or uninstall CD or DVD recording programs.
    • You uninstall Microsoft Digital Image.

Given that, we suggest performing the methods in this article:
    Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs
    The resolutions that are listed in that article may help solve some instances but not all instances of this problem.

Important:This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    article.

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, Feb 23, 2021
  3. Trying to disable the Insert key with a Registry edit

Hi Bill,

We appreciate the information that you provided. For us to narrow down your concern with
    disabling the Insert key with a Registry edit, have you tried creating a backup before editing the registry? If yes, we suggest that you restore it back; then, try it again with the correct entry. To do this, see this
    link, and follow the steps/instructions.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, Feb 23, 2021
  4. Registry edit mistake. Am I screwed?

registry edit no longer controls adaptive contrast

Hi Chris,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Did you back up the registry before making any changes to the Registry Editor because serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly?

Try the below methods and see if this helps.

Method 1: Disable Display Power Saving Technology.

Right-click on an empty space on the desktop > Graphics Properties >
    Power > Power Feature > Click on the drop-down list and change to
    On Battery and uncheck the box beside to
    Display Power Saving Technology
    and see if this helps.

Note: Restart your computer once for the changes to take effect and check for the issue.

Method 2: Registry Edit.

We know that you have changed the registry value, but try the below steps and change the value of FeatureTestControl to 9250 and leave it in base hexadecimal.

NOTE: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added
    protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, please refer this link:

How to Back Up the Registry

Step 1: Press the Windows key and the
    R
    key from your keyboard and type Regedit and hit
    Enter

Step 2: Navigate to the following key.

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ ControlSet001 \ Control \ Class \ {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} \ 0001

Step 3: Then, look for FeatureTestControl key >
    Right-click on the key > Then, change the data to 9250 without changing anything else and exit the registry.

Note: Restart the computer once for the changes to take effect.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Shafeeq_Khan, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

Registry edit mistake. Am I screwed?

1. Registry edit mistake. Am I screwed? - Similar Threads - Registry edit mistake

2. Registry Edit Mistake - Files unavailable. What do I do?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Registry Edit Mistake - Files unavailable. What do I do?: Hello,Recently I got upset that the name of a user on this computer my computer was a hand-me-down - of which I am the only current user - was not accurate to my name in real life. After looking up methods to remedy this, I got tired, and went into Registry Edit to attempt to...
  3. Registry Edit Mistake - Files unavailable. What do I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry Edit Mistake - Files unavailable. What do I do?: Hello,Recently I got upset that the name of a user on this computer my computer was a hand-me-down - of which I am the only current user - was not accurate to my name in real life. After looking up methods to remedy this, I got tired, and went into Registry Edit to attempt to...
  4. Registry Edit Mistake - Files unavailable. What do I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Registry Editor accidental mistake

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry Editor accidental mistake: Help me, I trying to find something in the registry editor file. I make a mistake by renaming a file into "runas" because I'm following Youtube tutorial, can someone tell me the correct name. I'm afraid to close the computer because if it can't run.[ATTACH]...
  6. Editing the registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Editing the registry: I migrated from win7 to win10 using the in-place method MS recommends. But as a result of that the registry is full of entries for programs that were removed years ago. What I want to do is just remove them; edit them out. I know the best way to remove them is to begin again...
  7. Editing the registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Editing the registry: I need to edit the registry to remove/expunge residual program entries after an un-install and clean-up. Background I upgraded from win7 to win10, and noted that installed apps several versions of VideoStudio failed on the 2nd and subsequent execution on win10. I've...
  8. How do I edit the registry

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I edit the registry: How do I edit the registry https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10/c5a2a9db-cb0e-4447-aa9a-72474fe78cde
  9. Registry Edit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Registry Edit: I deleted something from registry edit. Im not too sure what, it was along the lines of Tab- or Tablet- because i was going through getting rid of anything that could be causing errors for my new tablet drivers. But now im getting a flashing screen, and white icons (or no...
  10. registry editer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    registry editer: the only place I can find it is in system configuration, under tools and cannot remove it!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/registry-editer/26358bbd-5cec-46d7-bab8-36f6bc7afb9f