Windows 10: Registry Editor and Exe Files won't open

Discus and support Registry Editor and Exe Files won't open in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently changed the wrong value in the registry editor by accident, and now exe files wont open. I can't go back in to registry editor because it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EdwardZhang3, May 20, 2020.

1. Registry Editor and Exe Files won't open

I recently changed the wrong value in the registry editor by accident, and now exe files wont open. I can't go back in to registry editor because it is an exe file. I have tried many things, like changing cmd.exe to cmd.com and opening command prompt, but nothing I do inside seems to work. I also changed registry editor to a .com file format, but it won't open. Is there anyway to fix this?

:)

EdwardZhang3, May 20, 2020

2. Registry Editor hidden when open

Hi. RRDodge

My name is Anthony, an Independent Advisor trying to help.

In this case, there are two ways to open Registry Editor in Windows 10:

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type regedit. Next, select the first result for Registry Editor (desktop application).

2. Hold down or right-click the Start button and then select Run. Type regedit in the Open: box and select OK.

Now, if for any reason this does not work, in that case you can use the command prompt to open it, these would be the steps to follow:

• Open the Start menu.

• Click on the Windows logo located in the lower left corner of the screen.

• Type command prompt in the Start menu. In this way, the Command Prompt icon will appear in the Start menu.

• Right click on the Command Prompt. This is located at the top of the Start window. When you click on it, a drop-down menu will appear.

• If your trackpad does not have a button for the right click, use two fingers to press it.

• Click on the Run as administrator option. This option is found in the drop-down menu.

• If you do not have administrator rights on the computer, you cannot complete this method.

• Click Yes when prompted. Doing so will open the Command Prompt in administrator mode.

• Enter the registry update command.

Type reg add "HKCU \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ System" / t Reg_dword / v DisableRegistryTools / f / d 0 in the Command Prompt and then press ↵ Enter.

• Close the Command Prompt. Now, the command must have reactivated the Registry Editor.

• Try to open Registry Editor. Open the Start menu, type regedit and then press ↵ Enter.

If Registry Editor does not open, go to the next step.

• Restart your computer. Open the Start menu, click on the Start / Off icon and then on Restart.

Once your computer restarts, try again to open Registry Editor.

Best Regards.

Anthony. -

AnthonyBurns03, May 20, 2020
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    Registry Editor

Kim,

If you call the file SomethingOrOther.reg instead of SomethingOrOther.key then it will do open with RegEdit & write the value in the Registry.

If you really want to do it the hard way, when you see the Open with list [either doing it through
    Properties or just right-clicking on the file & selecting Open with], click on
    More apps and then scroll to be bottom of the list and click on Look for another app on this PC then browse to
    C:\Windows\System32\regedt32.exe and select that.

That will open the file using the Registry Editor but you will need to try it to find out if RegEdit then does what you want it to do. I have never heard of anybody taking this approach so I don't know if RegEdit will handle it in the normal manner. Even
    if RegEdit tries to do what you want it to the results will depend on write permissions already having been set up for that location in the Registry.

Even if the Registry key is created correctly, there is no telling if the Vemar software will handle it correctly. Installation of the Vemar software will have set many more Registry keys than this one and the value of the key might also include reference
    to the current hardware in order to prevent unlicensed distributions.

Denis

Tryx3, May 20, 2020
  4. slance310 Win User

Registry Editor and Exe Files won't open

cannot open registry editor

Hi,

How are you opening Regedit ? You will have better results if you open it with a Command Prompt (Admin)..

If what you posted is a Registry file that opened with Notepad instead of Regedit, right click on it and select "Open With" and select "Registry Editor" and set it as Default..

Registry files can be opened, edited, and created with notepad, but must be saved as a .reg file to be of any use..

slance310, May 20, 2020
Thema:

Registry Editor and Exe Files won't open

1. Registry Editor and Exe Files won't open - Similar Threads - Registry Editor Exe

2. Win 10 exe files won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 exe files won't open: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045Clicking on .exe files just gives spinning circle. I have to restart Windows Explorer to reset it.I've tried: found in another community answers pageMethod 1: Check registry for the exe files.Method 2: Running an Online virus scan. Although, the...
  3. Registry Editor not opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry Editor not opening: My Nvideo Geforce drivers weren't working so I looked up a fix online, this is what I followedAfter copy pasting C: \ Program Files and C: \ Program Files x86 in there spots, it did nothing but give error messages, when I try and open registry editor I get these error...
  4. Opening files in my Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Opening files in my Registry Editor: I accidentally deleted my users folder and it did not delete completely there are some remaining files, These are the file names One drive, Origin, idlerk, QtWebEngineProcess. I found a way to find my files back in registry editor and I don't know how to put them back onto my...
  5. Create .exe file at editor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create .exe file at editor?: Hello, dear people, i may make an exe file at editor in windows 10 but i don't know the code, can you help me? Love regards Jamie .exe datei bei editor erstellen?
  6. Registry Editor opens at starup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Registry Editor opens at starup: Hello! Ever since I installed Malwarebytes a few days ago, a pop-up called "User Account Control" keeps appearing every time I start windows, asking for the app Registry Editor to make changes to the device. [ATTACH] The first time i clicked "yes", my laptop restarted on...
  7. I cannot open some exe files as well as cmd prompt and task manager or registry editor

I cannot open some exe files as well as cmd prompt and task manager or registry editor: My windows version is 1903 and its a self built system. Please help me Ive tried countless things. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cannot-open-some-exe-files-as-well-as-cmd-prompt/43ea5d99-664b-4531-88c8-a253c3b403bf
  8. cannot open registry editor

cannot open registry editor: i am not able to open registry editor on my windows 10, whenever i open it a notepad window opens up. what could be the reason?[IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-open-registry-editor/ea69d705-7331-4915-aed1-202679e6beca
  9. .exe Files Won't Open

.exe Files Won't Open: Whenever I try to open a .exe file (eg. a game or installer application) Windows will show an error message and will be unable to access the file. I tried using .reg files from trusted sites to fix any problems with the registry but .reg files will also display an error...
  10. Can't open Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't open Registry Editor: I can't open the registry editor. I tried opening it on the command prompt and it says access denied even though i opened it through admin, when I opened it on Windows PowerShell it just says "Program 'regedit.exe' failed to run: The specified executable is not a valid...