Windows 10: Registry Editor "Find"-command not working any more under Windows 10

Discus and support Registry Editor "Find"-command not working any more under Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I recently upgraded to Windows 10. Since then searches in the Registry Editor do not work any more (the app consumes 20% CPU, but the search never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmo, Dec 19, 2015.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

Registry Editor "Find"-command not working any more under Windows 10

I recently upgraded to Windows 10. Since then searches in the Registry Editor do not work any more (the app consumes 20% CPU, but the search never finishes. Canceling the search crashes the registry editor.*sarc

:)

2. Windows 10 Registry Editor has stopped working

I have a new (Dec. 2015) Dell Inspiron 15 laptop PC with factory-installed Windows 10, 64bit. It is up to date with updates. I tried to research a registry item using find (with F3) to find the instances of a certain unused Wi-Fi name. After finding
    about four instances the search never completes (Searching the registry...). When I select "Cancel", the system says "Registry Editor has stopped working" and the registry editor restarts. If I try the find command again, the same thing happens. I find
    this issue described by Microsoft for earlier versions of Windows, but not the current version. The "sfc /scannow" test did not find any integrity violations. I often get "Internet Explorer stopped working" issues, which I ignore. (Yes, I prefer IE over
    Edge!) A non-Microsoft web site says to replace regedit with an earlier version. I might do that if the solution comes from Microsoft.

Harrison Bergeron, Dec 19, 2015
  3. Peekofwar Win User
    Change Default Image Editor

Well, unfortunately, I could not find "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command" in the registry editor... manually, or via the find (CRTL+F) function... I think it
    may've changed for Windows 10.

Peekofwar, Dec 19, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Dec 20, 2015
  5. Almighty1 Win User
    Almighty1, Dec 22, 2015
  6. hjim Win User
    Made a Restore Point. Saved the entire Registry. Started with an arbitrary search word from HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG, that is from the bottom. If the "search" completed successfully, made new searh from HKEY_USERS and so on till a HangUp occured. Then I made searches from subkeys always starting from bottom upwards. Found an endless loop. Deleted topmost entry. Now Registry Search works *Biggrin

hjim, Jan 6, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Admire your persistence.. did you note the registry entry that you deleted?

dalchina, Jan 6, 2016
  8. hjim Win User

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/Setup/Upgrade/Pnp/CurrentControlSet/Control/DevMig/Devices/SWD/WPDBUSENUM/_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_GENERIC-&PROD_SM#XD-PICTURE..... Some of the subkeys.

hjim, Jan 6, 2016
  9. MMO
    mmo Win User
    @hjim: Thanks for the hint!

I followed your scheme and I actually have found TWO such entries by now (there might still be more).

The first one I could simply delete, but the second yields an exception in the Registry Editor when trying to delete: *Eek

The key is:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\DeviceClasses\{7f108a28-9833-4b3b-b780-2c6b5fa5c062}\##?#STORAGE#Volume#_??_USBSTOR#Disk&Ven_SanDisk&Prod_Sandisk_Ultra&Rev_PMAP#A20054256F 62A237&0#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c91efb8b}#{7f108a28-9833-4b3b-b780-2c6b5fa5c062}

and exhibits an endless "#" subtree:

Registry Editor "Find"-command not working any more under Windows 10 [​IMG]

It is in the DeviceClasses subtree (so a bit touchy to delete things here) but the offending entry should be harmless to delete - it describes a memory card, so in the worst case my system would not recognize that SD card any more.

Any idea anyone, how to delete such an "undeletable" key nonetheless?

10. dalchina New Member
    You should really only delete/modify the registry if
    a. there's no alternative
    b. you know precisely what the effect will be
    c. you have adequate backups

Modifying the registry in an ad hoc manner can cause you endless pain.

Simply use a 3rd party registry editor (there are some good ones with the handy equivalent of an address bar) probably avoids this hopefully temporary search bug as previously posted.

dalchina, Jan 7, 2016
  11. MMO
    mmo Win User
    Thanks for the caveat, but I am an old Windows warhorse. I think I know what risks I can take and which not. And - yes - I *do* have made backups of my registry before attempting such "surgery".

Coming back to my question: is there a tool that allows to remove obviously recursive or "endless" registry entries without itself crashing while doing so?

12. trumanwiz Win User
    I've fixed it without a tool. I had the same problem (endless #) with same key, except a different Sandisk USB. Would not let me delete it. Any search in regedit would die when it hit this key. So it's not just a useless key problem but makes searching in regedit almost impossible. So I got a brainstorm and renamed the top level # key to temp. And them, voila, I could delete the whole mess. I suspect the cause of the problem was I unsafely removed the USB drive a few days ago.

trumanwiz, Jan 15, 2016
  13. MMO
    mmo Win User

Unfortunately this approach does not work! I tried to rename the top level # as well as the ##?#STORAGE#VOLUME...- key above it. In both cases I only get a popup stating:
    "The Registry Editor can not rename #. The specified key name is too long. Type a shorted name and try again".
    But even just entering 'x' as name did not work and yielded the same error msg.! *Sad

14. trumanwiz Win User
    I think the source of the problem is a usb volume that has been removed unsafely. I suggest this:
    Open device manager.
    Click view, show hidden devices.
    Expand storage volume shadow copies and delete all greyed out volumes.
    Do the same for storage volume.

This should fix the registry infinite loop.

trumanwiz, Jul 5, 2016
  15. tazmo8448 Win User
    even though i do remove usb's using the 'eject' command somehow MS/Windows10 has an issue with them; they do seem to cause DCOM errors and if you leave usb's connected MS for some reason doesn't see/recognize it's own driver and on startup you'll get errors...
    thanks for the tip trumanwiz... that seems to be a fix til M$ does something.

tazmo8448, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Registry Editor "Find"-command not working any more under Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Registry Editor Find

2. Can't find 'personalization' folder in registry editor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't find 'personalization' folder in registry editor.: Can't find 'personalization' folder in registry editor. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-personalization-folder-in-registry/e33c13f1-f651-4b52-984e-4d1f0b71e358
  3. i cant find Internet on registry editor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i cant find Internet on registry editor: i am basicly running my computer windows 10 and i cant find Internet on registry editor Can somebody help me please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-find-internet-on-registry-editor/87a54eba-412d-4c87-ac11-3d67b5dd70f7
  4. i cant find Internet on registry editor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i cant find Internet on registry editor: i am basicly running my computer windows 10 and i cant find Internet on registry editor Can somebody help me please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-find-internet-on-registry-editor/87a54eba-412d-4c87-ac11-3d67b5dd70f7
  5. Program not showing up under Uninstall in Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Program not showing up under Uninstall in Registry Editor: Hi all, I am trying to modify the name of a game installed on my Windows 10 pc by going to local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\uninstall, but is only showing some of my programs and not any of the games. I would really like to change the name and icon of...
  6. Can't find Sypnastics Folder in Registry editor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't find Sypnastics Folder in Registry editor: I can't seem to find the Sypnastics folder in the registry editor, please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-find-sypnastics-folder-in-registry-editor/b5821ad7-852f-48fd-a995-9e8c878d3a0e
  7. I can’t find Command Processor in my Registry Editor— any help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I can’t find Command Processor in my Registry Editor— any help?: Learning Command Prompt. EDIT: found it. submitted by /u/ssslugsss [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gdzf4i/i_cant_find_command_processor_in_my_registry/
  8. Windows 10 Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Registry Editor: I have a problem, in Registry Editor I have modified target for exe files "%1"%* now I cannot open any exe file, i cannot run cmd nor registry editor what should I do to fix this?...
  9. Windows 10 Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Registry Editor: I have created registry to personalise fonts style Given below but when i applied its says "You can only import binary registry files from within the resistry editor". what is the issue? [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts] "Segoe UI...
  10. Command Prompt and Registry Editor

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Command Prompt and Registry Editor: My Windows PC is showing this problem 1. I typed cmd.exe in the cortana search box. 2. Then when I right-clicked the Command Prompt app and selected "Run as Administrator", it is giving that it is not a verified publisher. Also this problem 1. When I try to run Registry...