Windows 10: Registry editor not allowing me to edit values even when owner is changed

Discus and support Registry editor not allowing me to edit values even when owner is changed in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am trying to change HideBasedOnVelocityId to ShowBasedOnVelocityId The error occurs: "The Registry Editor cannot rename HideBasedOnVelocityId.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RaiannurRohman, Jun 20, 2020.

1. Registry editor not allowing me to edit values even when owner is changed

I am trying to change HideBasedOnVelocityId to ShowBasedOnVelocityId

The error occurs:

"The Registry Editor cannot rename HideBasedOnVelocityId. Error while renaming value."

I have tried to change permissions but it constantly says:

"Unable to save changes on permission cmd. Access is denied."

I have changed the owner from TrustedInstaller to my account. but I am unable to change Administrators on the PC to full control. Would appreciate some help. many thanks. This is to get the "Open Command Prompt window" option. Registry editor not allowing me to edit values even when owner is changed 7904b5ad-82ea-44d6-917e-633b9f6fbf24?upload=true.png to

:)

RaiannurRohman, Jun 20, 2020

2. Registry Editor "Unable to set new owner on [redacted], access is denied"

Hello, so I'm trying to change the owner on a certain key in the registry. The owner currently is SYSTEM, and I have only read access. I went into Regedit and went into permissions, advanced, change owner, and tried inputting my name, but when I click apply
    it says it is unable to set new owner, access is denied. I have never seen the registry editor fail to set a new owner. What steps should I take to be able to change the owner? The key is in local machine.

So far I have tried disabling inheritance but that also failed as the regedit gave the same error.

Thanks

Vacho Rehanyan, Jun 20, 2020
  3. Martmcd Win User
    Change owners name

Hi RuthRich,

just so it is clear, this is the registered owners name and not the user or account name?

this is the name that appears under "this product is licensed to ..." in winver

please let me know if it is the account name you wish to change and ignore the rest of this post.

the following involves editing the menu, take care, incorrectly editing the registry can cause damage to the windows installation.

click start, type regedit

right click on registry editor and select run as administrator

paste the following into the address bar and press enter

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

in the right hand pane, double click on registered owner

change the value data to the correct name and click OK

close the registry editor

click start, type winver and press enter

you should now see the correct owners name.

Martmcd, Jun 20, 2020
  4. Martmcd Win User

Registry editor not allowing me to edit values even when owner is changed

How to change the owner's name on Windows 10

Hi little

just to be certain, the below will allow you to change the "registered owner" this is not the computer name or the user name, but is the name you see if you click start, type winver press enter.

if this is not the name you are wanting to change please let me know BEFORE attempting the following..

warning - take care when editing the registry. incorrectly editing the registry can cause irreversible damage to the windows installation.

click start, type regedit press enter

in the registry editor

paste the following into the address bar (or navigate use the left hand panel)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

in the right hand panel double click on RegisteredOwner

enter the correct information in the value data and click OK

close the registry editor.

you may need to restart the computer before it shows the correct registered owner.

Martmcd, Jun 20, 2020
Thema:

Registry editor not allowing me to edit values even when owner is changed

1. Registry editor not allowing me to edit values even when owner is changed - Similar Threads - Registry editor allowing

2. Changing userpath in Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing userpath in Registry Editor: Getting a new PC and transferring things over was a mess and my Desktop was placed in onedrive. I had to change it, alongside my Pictures, Documents, and Downloads to the correct path C:/Users/Username/ from %USERPROFILE%. I was suspicious when I did this that any pathways to...
  3. Changing userpath in Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing userpath in Registry Editor: Getting a new PC and transferring things over was a mess and my Desktop was placed in onedrive. I had to change it, alongside my Pictures, Documents, and Downloads to the correct path C:/Users/Username/ from %USERPROFILE%. I was suspicious when I did this that any pathways to...
  4. Changing userpath in Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys".: Hi,I would like a technician to help/guide me through the process of editing the "TDR values" of the GPU.I would really appreciate if remote assistance is available Thanks!...
  6. How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys".: Hi,I would like a technician to help/guide me through the process of editing the "TDR values" of the GPU.I would really appreciate if remote assistance is available Thanks!...
  7. How to change TDR values and edit "Registry keys".

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Editing registry data value with CMD

in Windows 10 Support
    Editing registry data value with CMD: hey all , i need to edit a registry value data without overwriting the previous one , i just want to add a string for example and not to change the entire value , and it needs to be we the command prompt , i hope i was clear with my question ill appreciate any help 173859
  9. Cannot change the start value data in Registry Editor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot change the start value data in Registry Editor: So, I bought my pc a few weeks ago and I recently realized windows isn't updating itself. I looked up in services and found "wuauserv" to disabled. I tried to start the Windows Update Service from there but it stops itself after starting. Then, I ran Registry Editor as...
  10. Registry Editor Values are not getting listed

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry Editor Values are not getting listed: Hello, I wanted to read the registry values for example VisualFXSetting,But in the registry editor it is not visible image attached for reference. I have to run my read application in both admin and non admin rights Machines,Kindly help me is there any other way to read...