Windows 10: Registry Edits Causing Folder Settings To Not Save And Other Weird Behavior

Discus and support Registry Edits Causing Folder Settings To Not Save And Other Weird Behavior in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; After modifying the registry to remove the "3D Objects" Folder from view when browing the "This PC" menu, I started to notice weird quirks with files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChrisWallace4, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Registry Edits Causing Folder Settings To Not Save And Other Weird Behavior

After modifying the registry to remove the "3D Objects" Folder from view when browing the "This PC" menu, I started to notice weird quirks with files in general. First I was unable to rename folders, which I fixed by using the folder protocol associations" file found on this website:

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html

However, after this edit I noticed that the folders I had not removed or modified had unusual names and subtitles. Some had missing names, others didn't appear at all, and all of the folders have the subtitle of "System Folder." Along with this issue, I also found that after restart folder settings would reset, like sorting and size, only applying to folders under the "This PC" tag. I have a feeling that the issue is caused by trying to add Windows 7 folders to the Windows 10 registry, but I could be wrong. Any help?

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/SDLgLBK

:)

ChrisWallace4, Jan 13, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

Changes made in Registry, Services or Settings not saving

Hi, suggestions:
    1. Disable Fast startup.
    How do I enable or disable fast startup?

• Type Control Panel in the search box.
    • Click Control Panel.
    • Click Power Options.
    • Click Choose what the power buttons do.
    • Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
    • Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup.
    • Click Save changes.

2. There have been cases where an old version 3rd party program has caused settings to revert on rebooting. E.g. winzip, albeit when setting file type association defaults.
    3. Registry permissions problems.
    You could try Tweaking.com's free cautious repair tool, selecting only the relevant registry permissions repair.

You might also compare results when working in Safe Mode.

For more: Google search
    registry change revert on reboot
    gives many results.

dalchina, Jan 13, 2019
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jan 13, 2019
  4. Registry Edits Causing Folder Settings To Not Save And Other Weird Behavior

Registry editing

Hello,

This issue may have occurred after one of the following situations:

• You upgrade the Windows operating system.
    • You install or uninstall CD or DVD recording programs.
    • You uninstall Microsoft Digital Image.

Given that, we suggest performing the methods in this article:
    Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs
    The resolutions that are listed in that article may help solve some instances but not all instances of this problem.

Important:This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, refer to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    article.

Feel free to update us with the results.

Michelle Vil, Jan 13, 2019
Thema:

Registry Edits Causing Folder Settings To Not Save And Other Weird Behavior

1. Registry Edits Causing Folder Settings To Not Save And Other Weird Behavior - Similar Threads - Registry Edits Causing

2. Weird keyboard behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird keyboard behavior: When I pressed - key it becomes backspace too, when I pressed : key it clicks enter too, when I pressed ? key clicks Shift too. Anyone can please help me? I suspect it's something to do with Fn key shortcut but searching online doesn't give any clues.I tried uninstalling...
  3. Weird keyboard behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird keyboard behavior: When I pressed - key it becomes backspace too, when I pressed : key it clicks enter too, when I pressed ? key clicks Shift too. Anyone can please help me? I suspect it's something to do with Fn key shortcut but searching online doesn't give any clues.I tried uninstalling...
  4. Weird PowerShell behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird PowerShell behavior: So, every once in a while I see powershell flashing on the screen. It just opens real quick and closes right after. It's so fast I can't even react to it. Now that I was playing a game I was thrown to desktop game went paused and I guess the powershell soft-crashed since it...
  5. Weird PowerShell behavior

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Weird PowerShell behavior: So, every once in a while I see powershell flashing on the screen. It just opens real quick and closes right after. It's so fast I can't even react to it. Now that I was playing a game I was thrown to desktop game went paused and I guess the powershell soft-crashed since it...
  6. Saving Registry Edits

in Windows 10 Customization
    Saving Registry Edits: Hi,I want to set the Numlock key to automatically turn on at the Windows 10 login page, even after signing out or shutting down and rebooting. The device I want to change this setting for is the Dell Latitude 5511 ST: 9WGMZ53.In the registry editor, I tried edit...
  7. Weird mouse behavior

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weird mouse behavior: [ATTACH]Hello! I am experiencing some weird things with my mouse. Its kinda hard to explain so I have made a gif. Hope it will be clear by showing it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/weird-mouse-behavior/254eb263-a502-4443-b4a0-85f873752e91
  8. Weird screen behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird screen behavior: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/cxcris [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fvnrx2/weird_screen_behavior/
  9. Printer "Saved settings" behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer "Saved settings" behavior: I have just re-built a Win 10 Home 1909 machine and re-installed the xerox printer. All is working well, except... In the Printer preferences box, there is the ability to save special print job settings. This one has the "Standard", "Previous Settings", "2 pages up / 2...
  10. Printer "Saved settings" behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    Printer "Saved settings" behavior: I have just re-built a Win 10 Home 1909 machine and re-installed the xerox printer. All is working well, except... In the Printer preferences box, there is the ability to save special print job settings. This one has the "Standard", "Previous Settings", "2 pages up / 2...