Windows 10: Registry entry to enable non-local shortcuts to be pinned to the start menu?

Discus and support Registry entry to enable non-local shortcuts to be pinned to the start menu? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Is there a registry entry that will allow shortcuts that point to something that is not on the C:\ drive to be pinned to the start menu? I am aware... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Andrewx3n, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Andrewx3n Win User

Registry entry to enable non-local shortcuts to be pinned to the start menu?

Is there a registry entry that will allow shortcuts that point to something that is not on the C:\ drive to be pinned to the start menu?

I am aware of the workarounds like changing the properties of a local shortcut once it's pinned. I'm doing this in large scale, so that isn't a practical solution.

Any ideas that could potentially be scalable are welcome.

:)

Andrewx3n, Apr 30, 2019
  2. MDD0799 Win User

How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Sergiy Shklyar - You are a genius. This is the solution for pinning a non-executable to the Start Menu. Many thanks.

MDD0799, Apr 30, 2019
  3. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

At first, you can create a shortcut in your Programs folder
    (in a hidden folder C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs). The shortcut appears in
    All apps list. Then you can pin it to Start menu / Taskbar as Mayank Gupta10 suggested.

The common way is to create a shortcut on the Desktop.
    But the more elegant way is creating Custom toolbars.

Sergiy Shklyar, Apr 30, 2019
  4. GPM949 Win User

How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Your answer related to pinning apps to the start menu.

The question was can you pin desktop shortcuts to the start menu, or to the apps list?

GPM949, Apr 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Registry entry to enable non-local shortcuts to be pinned to the start menu? - Similar Threads - Registry entry enable

2. Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior: Windows 11 with all current updatesI created a shortcut on the desktop that runs a Cygwin-X server. The shortcut target is: C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/xlaunch.exe -run /home/jim/.xlaunch/jhg.xlaunchDouble-clicking this shortcut has the intended effect, starting...
  3. Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pinning a shortcut to the Start menu - Strange Behavior: Windows 11 with all current updatesI created a shortcut on the desktop that runs a Cygwin-X server. The shortcut target is: C:\cygwin64\bin\run.exe --quote /usr/bin/xlaunch.exe -run /home/jim/.xlaunch/jhg.xlaunchDouble-clicking this shortcut has the intended effect, starting...
  4. Broken Start Menu entries?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Broken Start Menu entries?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/zt79tg13vcv51.png?width=789&format=png&auto=webp&s=ebefe42b3912058296b64c96a73e6822f049e84b My start menu shows these after the update to Windows 10 2004. I did sfc /scannow and it did not find anything wrong. I checked the store and...
  5. "Open With" menu - registry entries mysterious

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Open With" menu - registry entries mysterious: I got tired of seeing an old version of Adobe Audition in my "Open With" menu for .wav files, so I tried to go to the registry to delete it. But the registry entries are really weird. Here is a screenshot of the Open With menu overlaid with regedit showing the relevant keys...
  6. Holographic entry in Start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Holographic entry in Start menu: After updating to W10 1903, I noticed I have an entry for something called Holographic (below Xbox in picture). If I click the entry, nothing opens and a DistributedCom Error 10001 is logged in Events log. Searches for Holographic tell me this thing is related to Mixed...
  7. Duplicate Start Menu Entries

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate Start Menu Entries: After performing a "reset PC" last night and installing (some) of my programs, I noticed the start menu has duplicate entries for some of them. [img] In addition to Evernote, the other programs with double entries are Malwarebytes and ShareX. Both entries (for each...
  8. How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Pin IE Shortcuts to Start Menu: UPDATE: See Edwin's method in Post #4 for IE it is much easier than mine. But for other browsers use this method. Since you cannot just drag and drop a shortcut to a web site into the app menu the way I do it is to create a short cut on my desktop then copy it into the...
  9. Double entries in start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Double entries in start menu: Hi, I have the same problem in two different pc My start menu has some double entries (see picture) [img] and more I checked the start menu folders: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start...
  10. Pin shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin shortcuts to Start Menu: What am I missing here? I can pin exe's with a right click but trying to do this with a desktop shortcut does nothing. If it is not allowed, why does the context menu have 'Pin to start' in it? Just wondering. 8914