Windows 10: Registry fix or other command to set default for mailto Windows 10

Discus and support Registry fix or other command to set default for mailto Windows 10 in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I don't yet know how widespread this is nor what causes it but if there is a quick and easy one click method to reset I would appreciate the info.... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by questorfla, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Registry fix or other command to set default for mailto Windows 10

I don't yet know how widespread this is nor what causes it but if there is a quick and easy one click method to reset I would appreciate the info.
    What is happening is that the MailTo default is getting changed to the browser default. Or at least that was the case in the two I have seen so far. If the browser default is Edge Mailto is set to Edge. If default is Chrome, MailTo is Chrome.
    At least in all of our systems, mailto need to be Outlook 2016 and if this can be set and locked in the registry i need to be able to do that. Oddly, not everyone has the problem. No one knows when it started as most people never pay attention. It was just reported to me today and i found that my own Windows was the same setup defaulting to Chrome. Meaning any hyperlinks on websites that referred to mailto never open Outlook.
    Thanks

:)

questorfla, Jun 21, 2016

2. Windows 10 program default settings

Can anyone please assist with how to correctly register a custom email program in Windows 10?

The custom program works perfectly in Windows 10, but I am unable to get the program recognized as mailto: or the default Mail Client so as be able to stop Outlook coming up (eg when a mail link is clicked in a browser). The program works perfectly in Windows
    7 and the registry settings for Windows 7 work with respect to both default Mail Client and mailto:, but not in Windows 10.

What are the additional registry settings required in Windows 10 to get my program:

1 recognized as a mail program so I can set it as the default (the Protocol settings that work in Windows 7 registry seem to be ignored) - it doesn't even come up in the mail client options (any of the lists), and there is no option to select a mail client
    other than from the Store or the ones Microsoft wants everyone to use

2 able to be set as the default mailto: client - it doesn't even come up in the list of all apps to select from to be able to set it as a default manually by program - although it DOES appear correctly in the list of programs accessible from the All Apps
    list from the start menu

Before anyone points me to the 500 search links I have already looked at ad nauseam that suggest setting these defaults manually - I can't. The app does not come up in the list of apps (any of the options) from which defaults can be set even though it
    is correctly registered as an installed app from the start menu, nor is there a file-type I can click on in Explorer to get at the defaults that way. Nor does changing any of the registry settings as used in Windows 7 make any difference, and ALL of the
    links I have searched for come up with registry settings for pre-Windows 10, not Windows 10, even though I specify Windows 10 in my searches......

I have even tried using Advanced Installer to install the program to see if that made any difference with registering - it doesn't.

If someone can point me to where Microsoft is hiding the actual Windows 10 registry specifications for mail clients that actually work it would be very much appreciated?

Thanks

One of the Old Hands, Jun 21, 2016
  3. Cannot set Windows Mail App as default email client

I have the exact same problem. When I had Windows Live Mail installed, I could make that the default mail app and it worked. Same with Outlook. But I don't want to use either of those. I want to use Windows 10 Mail. And despite it being set as the default,
    it doesn't work with "Send to" or "mailto". There's gotta be a registry hack that will fix this. Anybody?

Bruce S.

Vienna VA USA

Bruce Scherzinger, Jun 21, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Registry fix or other command to set default for mailto Windows 10

Hello questorfla, *Smile

You might see if downloading and merging the .reg file for the listed mailto option in the table of OPTION TWO below may be able to help. It'll restore the default association for mailto.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jun 22, 2016
  5. Brink: You are a life save as usual!
    Thanks that reg file is exactly what i needed
    i will post that on our local server for anyone else this happens to. I still wish i knew what changed it in the first place

questorfla, Jun 22, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome.. I'm glad it could help. *Smile

Brink, Jun 22, 2016
  7. Update: I found the Culprit! The change is done when you try to set Chrome to be your Default APP for Browsers and it fails. I wish I knew why that doesn't work now because it used to. Now if it says EDGE it is almost impossible to get CHROME back as default browser The next most obvious option is to set the defaults by program. So you choose Chrome and it DOES become your default App for browser alright. BUT, there are many other things it also "takes over" one of which is "mailto:" It took me a while to figure this one out. A random posting somewhere on the Net led me to that conclusion and it is correct.
    And also isn't the way it used to be in widows 7 when you did the same thing. They have grouped a lot of new items WAY at the bottom under all the .cmd .doc .php and other file types. At the very end there are several of them that are not file "types" at all.
    When you set Chrome as default you cant say "use all". You have to choose to select the ones you want Chrome to have and this is the only way I will do it from now on.

questorfla, Jun 23, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Glad you found the cause.

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Registry fix or other command to set default for mailto Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Registry fix command

2. Change Registry Setting on command prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Registry Setting on command prompt: so i change something in my registry, then i get bluescreen. I can't fix it because dont remember my password when you want to go to command prompt in bluescreen advanced settings. What do i do? please someone answer me, urgent....
  3. Change Registry Setting on command prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Registry Setting on command prompt: so i change something in my registry, then i get bluescreen. I can't fix it because dont remember my password when you want to go to command prompt in bluescreen advanced settings. What do i do?...
  4. Setting Outlook 2016 to Default Application w/ Registry Editor/Command Line mailto Fix

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Setting Outlook 2016 to Default Application w/ Registry Editor/Command Line mailto Fix: Good afternoon,Is there a way to set default applications via registry editor/command line? Looking to set Outlook as the default mail application via a script so that "mailto" works as intended for our users.Thanks!...
  5. Setting Outlook 2016 to Default Application w/ Registry Editor/Command Line mailto Fix

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting Outlook 2016 to Default Application w/ Registry Editor/Command Line mailto Fix: Good afternoon,Is there a way to set default applications via registry editor/command line? Looking to set Outlook as the default mail application via a script so that "mailto" works as intended for our users.Thanks!...
  6. Setting Outlook 2016 to Default Application w/ Registry Editor/Command Line mailto Fix

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. setting registry settings to default

in Cortana
    setting registry settings to default: I downloaded iobit advanced system care and CCleaner to get more storage but it made some changes to the Windows registry due to which, my search bar is displaying correct results. I tried searching for troubleshooting and add or remove a program, but no or incorrect result...
  8. Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Set Mailto default to Gmail in Chrome: I've googled and searched tenforums and found descriptions of how to do this but nothing seems to work. I have added the mailto Handler in Chrome settings and it shows mail.google.com. I have set the Mail default app to Chrome. I have set the default Mailto protocol...
  9. All registry commands of privacy settings?

in Windows 10 Support
    All registry commands of privacy settings?: Hi, Can anyone share all cmd registry commands of privacy settings (general, camera, location, etc.) so i can apply all changes in one-click? I have these so far rem 1 - Get fun facts, tips, tricks, and more on your lock screen (ADs) / Windows Spotlight reg add...
  10. Changing default MailTo Protocol in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing default MailTo Protocol in Windows 10: I would like to change the default MAILTO Protocol in Windows 10 to a program of my choice but it won't let me choose anything other than Thunderbird or Microsoft Mail. How do I select a specific program (in my case it is OEClassic). Thanks. 9971

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mailto windows 10 registry

2. where is mailto: in windows 10 2019

3. how to fix windows 10 mailto

4. windows 10 set default mailto registry,
  5. registry mailto windows 10,
  6. set mailto default windows 10 to outlook 2016 in registry,
  7. default mailto outlook windows 10 command line