Windows 10: Registry Hack to DISABLE Master Browser

Discus and support Registry Hack to DISABLE Master Browser in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm sick and tired of loosing network sharing browsing. I have seven wired Win10 machines on my network that are not always on. I want to disable the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tzr916, Nov 17, 2017.

1. tzr916 Win User

Registry Hack to DISABLE Master Browser

I'm sick and tired of loosing network sharing browsing. I have seven wired Win10 machines on my network that are not always on. I want to disable the master browser on all my machines but one or two that are always on... There are a few sites showing a reg hack but the exact key they say to modify is not there. Has anyone tried this?

Disable the Master Browser
    Tip 4 (continued): Controlling the Master Browser election - How To: Tips for Fixing XP File and Printer sharing

Parameters does not exist under HKey_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser.
    MaintainServerList does not exist.

Do I just add MaintainServerList key? or do I have to also add Parameters subkey, and put MaintainServerList in that?

:)

tzr916, Nov 17, 2017

2. Runtimebroker.exe high cpu

Alright, I will disable runtimebroker.exe via the registry edit hack then. Thanks.

DanishDudePersonal, Nov 17, 2017
  3. How to disable network access to Windows Registry in Windows 10?

There is no need to hack the registry. Disabling your network adapter will do the trick.

Frederik Long, Nov 17, 2017
  4. Eagle51 Win User

Hey tzr916,
    I wouldn't just add those sub keys (there are other sub keys under Browser > Security & TriggerInfo) without checking to see if SMBv1 has been uninstalled. To check go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features On or Off ... Scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and see what's checked or unchecked.

Note: SMBv1 has been deprecated, so if you are running FCU (1709), it could be that SMBv1 got uninstalled and since the Master Browser is tied to SMBv1 those registry sub keys under Browser were removed as well.

Reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-version-1709

Note: To find out which PC is the Master Browser, you can use the Lan Scanner Tool from Downloads | Scotties Tech.Info

Eagle51, Nov 17, 2017
  5. tzr916 Win User
    Hmm, I may have been looking in the wrong reg key!

tzr916, Nov 17, 2017
  6. tzr916 Win User
    Actually I discovered that I was looking at the correct reg key.... But on all seven machines, that key had NO subkeys until I went to Windows Features and looked at (did not change) the check marks that were already there for SMBv1, clicked Ok. Wait one minute, go back into the SAME reg key and all the sub keys were magically there!

tzr916, Nov 18, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Master Browser is used by Homegroup and it also enables when you are making a request, then stops when another computer for a request for something from your machine. The only thing that you need to disable is SMBv1.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Registry Hack to DISABLE Master Browser - Similar Threads - Registry Hack DISABLE

2. Disable mediakeys changing master volume in registry.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable mediakeys changing master volume in registry.: I have a keyboard that has a volume control wheel that changes the master volume of windows.Is there a registry entry I can edit to disable this without disabling the key entirely? Because I want to still pick up the input inside a python script to control something else.thx...
  3. Disable mediakeys changing master volume in registry.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable mediakeys changing master volume in registry.: I have a keyboard that has a volume control wheel that changes the master volume of windows.Is there a registry entry I can edit to disable this without disabling the key entirely? Because I want to still pick up the input inside a python script to control something else.thx...
  4. Master Browser Observation

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Master Browser Observation: To start, this is an observation, not a recommendation. Once upon a time my home LAN was 100% XP and it performed flawlessly. Times change and now I have only 3 Windows 10 machines on the LAN and, like others, I've experienced LAN problems following Windows 10 upgrades....
  5. Popular registry hacks

in Windows 10 Customization
    Popular registry hacks: Major Geeks is compiling a nice bunch or registry hacks for system customization. Download MajorGeeks Registry Tweaks - MajorGeeks Just some of them [img] 152827
  6. Master Browser Timing

Master Browser Timing: The more time I spend on the Board, the more I believe that a number of recurring discovery problems may be just the unhappy side effects of the proper operation of a Master Browser in a Workgroup. So, do I have this right? 1. All the computers in a Workgroup pass...
  7. Master Browser question

Master Browser question: I have 3 computers all connected to ports on my gateway via ethernet cables. All three are running Windows 10 Version 1809 with yesterday's updates.. Desktop#1 is the Master browser (verified using the nbtstat -n command). Desktop#1 lists all three computer names under...
  8. Identification of default browser in registry?

in Browsers and Email
    Identification of default browser in registry?: Is there some place in the registry that identifies the default browser? I've already found HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet, but that continues to contain FIREFOX.EXE even after I change the default to Chrome. 95110
  9. 1703 - Master Browser/SMB Broke Again?

1703 - Master Browser/SMB Broke Again?: Hi folks. I see quite a few posts around regarding issues with Homegroups and Network Sharing. It appears to me that SMB is broken again in Creators Update 1703. I have 3 of 4 tems on 1703, the other is on 1607. What I see is that if any of the 1703 tems is the first...
  10. Registry hack to maximize all windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Registry hack to maximize all windows: Is there a provision for a registry hack in windows 10 like the old XP OS to force all window to open maximized? What I've found in the search function doesn't answer my question. I've tried all the normal ways that work for a while but windows will revert back to a normal...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disable master browser windows 10

2. change master browser windows 10

3. master browser disable

4. disable browser master windows 10,
  5. windows registry-disable browser,
  6. windows disable master browser,
  7. Disable the Master Browser