Windows 10: Registry subfolders empty in HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Discus and support Registry subfolders empty in HKEY_CURRENT_USER in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I was about to look through my registry to clean some old things up, but before I could I noticed that under HKEY_CURRENT_USER all the subfolders had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Allen42B, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Allen42B Win User

Registry subfolders empty in HKEY_CURRENT_USER

I was about to look through my registry to clean some old things up, but before I could I noticed that under HKEY_CURRENT_USER all the subfolders had weird titles as if using an incompatible font, and each contain an empty default registry. This is probably over a thousand folders long, starting from what you see in the screenshot all the way to Z in odd combinations. The standard registry folders, such as System and Software are still in there apparently, but only seemed to reappear after a restart. What caused this, and is there a way to clean this up? So far this hasn't seemed to have caused any other problems.

Thank you for any help.

Registry subfolders empty in HKEY_CURRENT_USER e1343146-a923-4c9f-9ca8-9c6823f5ea6f?upload=true.png

:)

Allen42B, Jul 3, 2020
  2. budi Win User

Registry strange behavior in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\...

I tried to clear all contents of
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts
    then set security permission to logger user name () to be clear from:

• create key
    • set value
    and let it inherently apply to all keys under it

But it responds with icons flickering / blinking very often
    so I undo the security setting.. but while keeping on registry browsing under this key I came across:

1. The jpg filetype key and userchoice key were created
    2. On userchoice key the logging user () ACL was created, and
    3. It's set to DENY on SET VALUE !

Registry subfolders empty in HKEY_CURRENT_USER [​IMG]

Is it windows 10 behavior or an intruder's been screwing up ?
    Please help me.. many thanks in advance

budi, Jul 3, 2020
  3. Registry folder removed after reboot

You need to do this to find out:

1. Play the game, then close it.
    2. Check if the registry subkeys of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\ exist.
    3. Reboot.
    4. Check if the registry subkeys of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\ exist.

I strongly suspect that the answer is "Yes" in Steps 2 and 4. This would mean that the game deletes the subkeys.

Frederik Long, Jul 3, 2020
  4. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Jul 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Registry subfolders empty in HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Similar Threads - Registry subfolders empty

2. how to delete empty DCIM subfolders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to delete empty DCIM subfolders: How to delete empty DCIM subfolders https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-empty-dcim-subfolders/e3086f89-b89f-451e-9ea0-e9832476605c
  3. how to delete empty DCIM subfolders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to delete empty DCIM subfolders: How to delete empty DCIM subfolders https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-delete-empty-dcim-subfolders/e3086f89-b89f-451e-9ea0-e9832476605c
  4. What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?: What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?×ÑÊ´ïA~[äGì¡“÷¯—¬Ã\ýYLì…eȨÕ{ܨWü¸_ÝLx3/xø https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-these-strange-characters-in-the-registry/aecc71c8-ee0b-4c67-bbf5-2a328fbc85d0
  5. What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?

What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?: What are these strange characters in the Registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER?×ÑÊ´ïA~[äGì¡“÷¯—¬Ã\ýYLì…eȨÕ{ܨWü¸_ÝLx3/xø https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-these-strange-characters-in-the-registry/aecc71c8-ee0b-4c67-bbf5-2a328fbc85d0
  6. Registry key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local...

Registry key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local...: I asked another question about this yesterday and another user responded, however I didn't get the answer I was looking for. They said that the key was legit, but he didn't know about it being in the "AppModel\PolicyCache" branch, so I wanted to know if it was a fake key or...
  7. Registry key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Registry key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local...: I asked another question about this yesterday and another user responded, however I didn't get the answer I was looking for. They said that the key was legit, but he didn't know about it being in the "AppModel\PolicyCache" branch, so I wanted to know if it was a fake key or...
  8. Registry key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry change does not save in Audit Mode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry change does not save in Audit Mode: I am preparing a Lenovo Flex 4 laptop for Windows Out of Box Experience (OOBE). Looks like Lenovo's default touchpad driver configuration is misconfigured such that two finger tap (right click) does not work. I found setting the registry under...
  10. Registry strange behavior in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Registry strange behavior in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\...: I tried to clear all contents of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts then set security permission to logger user name () to be clear from: create key set value and let it inherently apply to all keys under it But it...