Windows 10: Registry. Write access lost to the c:\Users folder and subfolders.

Discus and support Registry. Write access lost to the c:\Users folder and subfolders. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Dear all, The error described below occurred only after I had used regedit. I messed up the uninstall (I had to use rmdir/s) of a compiler (Delphi),... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gustaf4711, May 1, 2019.

1. Registry. Write access lost to the c:\Users folder and subfolders.

Dear all,

The error described below occurred only after I had used regedit.

I messed up the uninstall (I had to use rmdir/s) of a compiler (Delphi), and the only way out thereafter, was to use regedit. All keys that referred to that compiler --- certainly numerous --- were deleted.

Of course I removed too many and now I meet a few difficulties. Here is the current one (the first one was a lost Windows default "path")

The compiler writes warnings and errors to a log-file under Appdata\Local\Temp. Now, the compiler is run from within my text-editor, which normally erases this log-file upon exit if the compilation was successful. The following message now follows:

Cannot delete output file c:\Users\gustaf\Appdata\Local\Temp\29456.err

So the failure to erase the file is my problem. Any suggestions?

I have tried google and only found suggestions that the permissions for the current folder must be checked: both the administrator and myself (only user) have all permissions.

Best regards,
    ChG

:)

gustaf4711, May 1, 2019
  2. Nicrite Win User

Vista Ultimate - 'User' Folder Location

No tried that.

Can copy the entire folder to D; but Windows still points to C as the location. Can change personal folders location to a folder on D;, but this still leaves hidden files etc on C;. Thus meaning there are 2 Users folders. Have managed to change the Public folder location to D;, with some registry tweaks, but this doesnt seem to work for the entire folder.

any more suggestions

Nicrite, May 1, 2019
  3. Access denied to user folders

Thanks Pero Z. I have tried your suggestion but unfortunately whilst I selected C:\Users and changed to a new administrator account, all folders and subfolders in the Users directory changed ownership EXCEPT the ones I was trying to change.

ValFenwick, May 1, 2019
  4. gacuxz Win User

Registry. Write access lost to the c:\Users folder and subfolders.

Windows Security. Allow user access only to subfolder and not root

I've tried to search about this there and here, but hadn't found a solution.

SITUATION
    I have a following folders structure:
    root
    ----|A
    ----|B
    --------|B1
    --------|B2
    ----|C
    I need to give permission for user to access only folder B2 and deny access to any root folders. I want to lock user inside this folder.

WORKAROUND
    After reading this, I almost achieved it doing these two steps:
    1. I gave the only "Traverse Folder/Execute File" permission for desired user to root folder and forced this permission to all subfolders.
    2. I disabled inheritance for folder B2 and gave "Full control" permission for desired user.
    In this way user can't access root folder's content, but can access B2 folder directly through direct link or shortcut.

PROBLEM
    The problem is that user can get one directory "up" from his folder and see root folder B with subfolder B1 along with B2. He can even go inside B1 directory and see all files inside. Although he can't access main root folder root - Windows shows "Access denied" error. Windows Security was always very messy but now I'm out of ideas.

gacuxz, May 1, 2019
Thema:

Registry. Write access lost to the c:\Users folder and subfolders.

1. Registry. Write access lost to the c:\Users folder and subfolders. - Similar Threads - Registry Write access

2. WSL: No Write Access to Certian Folders in Windows User Profile Folder Regardless of...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    WSL: No Write Access to Certian Folders in Windows User Profile Folder Regardless of...: In WSL, I'm unable to write to my "Videos" folder in my Windows user profile at /mnt/c/Users/UserProfile/OneDrive/Videos in WSL however all the other folders in my user profile seem to have full read-write access, such as "Downloads" or "Documents"The permissions for all the...
  3. Folders and Subfolders

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders and Subfolders: Using windows explorer to organize photos by year and then subfolders for activities during that year I want to be able to see all folders and subfolders on the main windows explorer screen without having to click on the year folder to see what that year contains. Is that...
  4. Sharing folders with write access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sharing folders with write access: I have a need to share some folders/directories with write access on a small office network. I can't figure out how to do this now. What's needed: Some machines have write access to some folders, everything has read-access to everything shared we don't need or desire...
  5. No write access to C:\Program Files?

No write access to C:\Program Files?: First of all, only people who really know I reinstalled Windows 2004 a week or so ago because I changed the SSD. All worked great as always. At some point I wanted to install a few programs and then I got a message that no matter which program I installed, the rights for...
  6. Registry subfolders empty in HKEY_CURRENT_USER

in Windows 10 Customization
    Registry subfolders empty in HKEY_CURRENT_USER: I was about to look through my registry to clean some old things up, but before I could I noticed that under HKEY_CURRENT_USER all the subfolders had weird titles as if using an incompatible font, and each contain an empty default registry. This is probably over a thousand...
  7. How to write or rewrite your username in the C: Drive users folders

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to write or rewrite your username in the C: Drive users folders: As the title suggests and in the picture, I wish to change my current profile name "patri" to "Patrick" in Windows 10, for consistency accross my devices. I did connected my Microsoft account, so my account's name is "Patrick Family name", and I was able to change something...
  8. Lost Users folder

Lost Users folder: In the properties for my C:\Users\ten24 folder, I checked "Hidden", hoping to be able to get to my AppData file. I wasn't paying attention to what happened after that, but now the ten24 folder is gone, with all of the files in Documents, etc. Is there someway for me to...
  9. Allow write access to C:/ root

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Allow write access to C:/ root: Even though I am administrator on my PC, I do not have write access to C:/. (Win 10 Pro) Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know of a fix? Thanks 10905
  10. Duplicate subfolders in User folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate subfolders in User folder: Hi there. Have been working with Build 10074 for several days. Just realized yesterday that my main user folder has duplicate sub-folders (2 Documents, 2 Music, 2 Videos, 2 Downloads, 2 Pictures). They are the same size, have the same properties). Whichever one I delete,...