Windows 10: RegSetValueExW failed to write value name and value data to registry

Discus and support RegSetValueExW failed to write value name and value data to registry in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; RegSetValueExW Unicode version of function failed to write the value name and value data to registry in windows 10. The value name contains more than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Sriram Murlidharan, Jan 5, 2021.

1. RegSetValueExW failed to write value name and value data to registry

RegSetValueExW Unicode version of function failed to write the value name and value data to registry in windows 10.

The value name contains more than 1000 characters,value data contains 16,000 characters. RegSetValueExW function return returns ERROR_SUCCESS but the value name and value data not written to registry.

If the value name contains less than 1000 characters then the value name and value data are written to registry properly.

Facing issue when registry value name has more than 1000 characters. As per Microsoft Unicode version of value name allowed 16,383 characters. But RegSetValueExW failed to write if value has more than 1000 characters.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Sriram Murlidharan, Jan 5, 2021

2. ForcedReboot Registry Key Value

Hi Daniel,

ForcedReboot is one of the subkeys in the registry. Subkeys contain data entries called values. The presence of a value on a key is a form of data that an application requires for it to run. An application opens a key and uses the values associated with
    the key to perform specific functions. A key can have any number of values, and the values can be in any form.

You can visit these links for further information about registry values:

Note: We do not recommend navigating and editing the values of the keys and subkeys in the registry. Changing the values of the keys and subkeys in the registry might cause serious system issues.

We would like to ask if you are experiencing any issues on your Windows device. Since you are interested on finding what the value of a subkey stands for, we think that you are trying to troubleshoot your computer. If in case you are having any errors or
    issues with your Microsoft products, let us know so that we could assist you further.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Jan 5, 2021
  3. Change registry value in dynamically created registry key

Plugging values into the registry often has no effect until the user logs off, then on again. Furthermore, the keys and values you mention differ from machine to machine. On my installation they look quite different.

I suggest you have a look at nircmd.exe (or nircmdc.exe). It might do what you want without any coding effort. If this fails then I'm prepared to write a script for you according to your precise specs, but only after you have done some manual tests on several
    different PCs.

Frederik Long, Jan 5, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

RegSetValueExW failed to write value name and value data to registry

missig registry values

Hi Alistor, if it is empty,

Right click an empty space on the right hand side

Choose New - DWORD (32bit) Value

Name it (Default)

Then double click that value

Set Value Data to “%1” %*

Hopefully after a reboot, that will do it for you . . .

DaveM121, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

RegSetValueExW failed to write value name and value data to registry

1. RegSetValueExW failed to write value name and value data to registry - Similar Threads - RegSetValueExW failed write

2. Undoing registry values

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Undoing registry values: I don't know what I've changed ik i should have created a restore point first so I'm wondering if I can just skip the restore step and go to the sfc /scannow part which I've seen listed as plan b. Basically wondering if I can just skip to step 2 as step 1 cannot be done ever....
  3. Undoing registry values

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Undoing registry values: I don't know what I've changed ik i should have created a restore point first so I'm wondering if I can just skip the restore step and go to the sfc /scannow part which I've seen listed as plan b. Basically wondering if I can just skip to step 2 as step 1 cannot be done ever....
  4. Invalid value for registry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid value for registry: A few months ago, I noticed that, out of nowhere, some preinstalled apps refused to open. The ones I can list off the top of my head are- notepad- calculator- photos- the media player for audio- the microsoft store- the snipping toolWhen I try to open a file using an app like...
  5. Editing registry data value with CMD

in Windows 10 Support
    Editing registry data value with CMD: hey all , i need to edit a registry value data without overwriting the previous one , i just want to add a string for example and not to change the entire value , and it needs to be we the command prompt , i hope i was clear with my question ill appreciate any help 173859
  6. invalid value for registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    invalid value for registry: I can't open videos or photos, I've check solutions to this problem but none worked. [ATTACH] one of the websites that I've checked said that I should have Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe. registry but when I checked it in registry editor I didn't see any....
  7. Search for a registry data value by command line

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search for a registry data value by command line: I see some MVPs and experts helping on this forum, if you can help me or give me guidance I would appreciate it! I'd like to search for the value 2004 in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion [ATTACH] not in the subkeys, as...
  8. registry return value

in Windows 10 Customization
    registry return value: hello Champs, I use one app to return a value in the browser in the following form: the registry entry is now: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" %1 the result in the IE browser is: http://SR:123456789/ is it possible to change the registry entry so that it...
  9. Invalid value for registry

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Invalid value for registry: Whenever I try to open any mp4 file on my Dell Precision 7510, it gives me an error saying Invalid value for registry. However, when I try to open said files with VLC media player instead of Movies & TV, it runs just fine. Bear in mind that the laptop I am using is issued by...
  10. Invalid value for registry.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Invalid value for registry.: Hi, I would like to know if there is a possible way to disable the Windows auto update function indefinitely. Eventough I keep disabling them in the Windows Update Settings, somehow the computer end up updating windows again which results being a problem. I am a Windows...