Windows 10: Regular "User" account, separate "Administrator" account for escalation...whats the right way?

Discus and support Regular "User" account, separate "Administrator" account for escalation...whats the right way? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have two 2 accounts, one is a standard user account for all daily tasks; the second is for elevating privileges when required installing software,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by StrikerDingo, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Regular "User" account, separate "Administrator" account for escalation...whats the right way?

I have two 2 accounts, one is a standard user account for all daily tasks; the second is for elevating privileges when required installing software, etc.

This works 'ok' most of the time, but there are scenarios where doing this causes the software to install instead on the administrator's user profile, and does not show up on the start menu for the regular user account. Another example is when attempting to perform administrative tasks on the Registry or other user specific apps; this leads to inconsistencies or incorrect results. ie. HKEY\CURRENT USER

Ideally it would be nice if inputting admin credentials temporarily elevated the standard user until the task was done, rather than performing the action as another user Administrator.

Do I need to use command prompt to elevate the standard user account and then de-elevate after I am done? Is there a better way? Let me know your thoughts or workflow.

Thanks.

:)

StrikerDingo, Feb 17, 2021
  2. Bree Win User

Administrator account keeps disappearing after regular user logs off

Welcome to TemForums @Sidster

The Administrator account is not intended for regular use and is disabled by default.

If you require an account with admin privileges to appear in the list of available accounts for sign in, then it is better practice to create an additional local user account and make it an administrator. Then you should disable the Administrator account and only enable it in emergencies.

3. NavyLCDR Win User
    Weird account name and lost Administrator rights.

Well, I know what I would do.

Under Settings, Accounts, Family & other users, then under Other users, add someone else to this PC. Then click the link for "the person I want to add doesn't have an email address". Then click the link for "Add a user without a Microsoft account". Then enter a temporary user name like TempAdmin. When the account appears in the Other Users list, click on it. Click change account type. Make the temporary account an Administrator.

Log in as the temporary administrator account, and copy all the files you want to keep from both the Andrius folders under Users to the temporary account's folder. Then delete whatever Andrius users are listed under settings, accounts. Go back to the Users folders and delete any remaining Andrius folders in there. Reboot the computer, log in as the temporary administrator and recreate an Andrius account using the exact same steps you made the temporary account - you can convert it to a Microsoft account if you want later.

Then do the rest of the steps to copy all your files back and delete the temporary administrator account.

NavyLCDR, Feb 17, 2021
  4. Regular "User" account, separate "Administrator" account for escalation...whats the right way?

Is there still reason to use standard user account in Windows OS?

Using an administrator account with UAC basically gives you a prompt to perform administrator actions. Using a regular user account won't let you make administrator actions at all (without an administrator password) so basically, no if you're the only one using the computer there is no point in using limited accounts.

Papahyooie, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

Regular "User" account, separate "Administrator" account for escalation...whats the right way?

1. Regular "User" account, separate "Administrator" account for escalation...whats the right way? - Similar Threads - Regular User account

2. User account keeps losing administrator rights

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User account keeps losing administrator rights: I have been setting up brand new laptops/desktops for other users at work. I have been using the option of personal use at OOB setup. I create a local user and then add the user to the Administrator group within Computer Management. Later in the process I add the laptop to...
  3. User account keeps losing administrator rights

in Windows 10 Customization
    User account keeps losing administrator rights: I have been setting up brand new laptops/desktops for other users at work. I have been using the option of personal use at OOB setup. I create a local user and then add the user to the Administrator group within Computer Management. Later in the process I add the laptop to...
  4. Is there a way to give a user account super admin rights?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to give a user account super admin rights?: Hi all. I'm wondering if there is a way to give my user account absolute authority in the operating system? I occasionally bump into files that my user account doesn't have access to, and when I click 'get access' it says I've been denied permissions, and that I need to go...
  5. Clear Explorer Administrative Rights on Standard User Accounts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Clear Explorer Administrative Rights on Standard User Accounts: I am encountering quite the security issue here that seems pretty blatant. I have two users on my Windows 10 device: 1 Adminstrator and 1 Standard. From the Standard account, I try to access Administrator folders. I get prompted for administrative rights and I provide...
  6. Daily usage with Administrator or Regular User Account Windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Daily usage with Administrator or Regular User Account Windows 10: Is it safer using a regular user account than an administrator account for day to day usage? If I add a 2nd user, does that mean that I have to also have a second Microsoft account, or can I have two user accounts, one admin, one regular, logged in with the same Microsoft...
  7. Separate user accounts

Separate user accounts: Why set up separate user accounts? I was expecting that each user could have different program icons on their home screen to simplify their use of the PC, but all icons are the same on screens and task bars. Also, is there a way to hide or turn off the brightly colored...
  8. Administrator account keeps disappearing after regular user logs off

Administrator account keeps disappearing after regular user logs off: Hi, Win10 v1903 build 18362.295. I have a regular user configured and the default administrator account. Every time the regular user is done and shuts down the computer, the administrator account is missing on startup at the Windows login prompt - the only option is to log...
  9. Types of sign in accounts... administrator or regular user??

Types of sign in accounts... administrator or regular user??: When I set up my new Pavilion desktop, I set up my profile account using my Gmail/ Microsoft account as an ADMINISTRATOR. When I try to access my Quicken account, I get a message that Quicken does not allow administrators to access accounts! So, I suppose I have to set up...
  10. User Account / Administrator

User Account / Administrator: well, I have nobody to blame but myself but when installing Windows 10 I allowed the software to create a Microsoft account and it naturally built an account with no administrator privileges. Of course this is totally wortless for me - I'm the only User on this laptop and...