Windows 10: Reinstall and partitions question

Discus and support Reinstall and partitions question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm wanting to reinstall Windows 10 on my SSD. Before I do I'll unplug the additional drives I have inside my PC for storage (E: onwards), to isolate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by abibee, Jan 23, 2016.

1. abibee Win User

Reinstall and partitions question

I'm wanting to reinstall Windows 10 on my SSD. Before I do I'll unplug the additional drives I have inside my PC for storage (E: onwards), to isolate the SSD. However, C: (disk1 in the screenshot below) has several partitions and unlabelled volumes that I'm guessing Windows created. Do I remove all of them during the install process? I'm a bit stuck.

Reinstall and partitions question [​IMG]

:)

abibee, Jan 23, 2016

2. Windows 10 Partitions and programs

Hi all,

I was told that the best way to install windows is to have it in it's own partition and all other software on a different partition. Which I did. Unfortunately, I had to reinstall Windows , because of a virus. So my question is. Since windows was in
    it's own partition, I reinstalled there. All my programs are still on the other partition. Do I have to reinstall all the programs again or can the new installation run the programs that were already installed?

JoseGarcia75, Jan 23, 2016
  3. Willy9000 Win User
    Windows 10 & Too many Recovery partitions

The (U)EFI partition and all the Recovery partitions are allocated to Disk 0.

And then there are the other 2: C and D.

I put the same question of all the Recovery partitions twice to ASUS support and they replied not to remove any of the Recovery partitions.

According to support the 20,01 GB is necessary to reinstall Win 8/8.1. But with Win 10 now installed I see no need to keep that partition.

I am almost certain that in case of crash I can reinstall Win 10 without any problem by means the Microsoft Media Creation Tool, or by using a DVD with the Win 10 ISO file. From experience I know that after reinstalling Win 10, you can skip the Product
    Key question and Win 10 will be automatically activated when the installation is completed.

Willy

Willy9000, Jan 23, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

You have to first wipe disk1. Those partitions will come back with your new installation on disk1.

5. abibee Win User
    I'm using a DVD I burnt to install with. I'll wipe disk1 from within the install process yes? The process is unknown to me. Last time I did this was Fdisk days, much simpler. *Smile

abibee, Jan 23, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    After you boot from the DVD and click Install Now - select the option for a custom install. Next will be a screen with a list of disks and partitions. Select each partition on the SSD and delete it, then click on the large unallocated space to install to.

NavyLCDR, Jan 23, 2016
  7. abibee Win User
    Ok thanks, I think I have it. I appreciate the help.

abibee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reinstall and partitions question - Similar Threads - Reinstall partitions question

2. Partition Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition Question: Hello, I have a 2TB HDD and when I partitioned it I ended up making one that should be a little bit larger. One of the other partitions has plenty of extra capacity but I tried Disk Management and Aomei Partition Master and neither allow me to make an existing Partition...
  3. Partition Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partition Question: Hello, I have a 2TB HDD and when I partitioned it I ended up making one that should be a little bit larger. One of the other partitions has plenty of extra capacity but I tried Disk Management and Aomei Partition Master and neither allow me to make an existing Partition...
  4. Partition Question

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. partition question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    partition question: I was going going to partition my system and was concerned that since I'd have to do it from my admin user account would it affect the other users on my computer. please let me know thanks....
  6. partition question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    partition question: I was going going to partition my system and was concerned that since I'd have to do it from my admin user account would it affect the other users on my computer. please let me know thanks....
  7. Partition question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partition question: Does my drive look partitioned correctly? looks strange to me. *Confused [img] 168130
  8. Partition Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition Question: I'm trying to create Win14393PE_x86 ISO v170116 or Win14393PE_x64 ISO v170116. I created the 31.85 GB unallocated partition. Is this the right place for instruction "I created a 6 GB FAT32 partition at the end of my second HDD". By NavyLCDR. In Windows 10 Recovery Tools...
  9. Question for partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Question for partition: Hi, dear forums, I was wondering why do I have this partition created - I have done a clean install of Windows 10 AU, then automatic update to CU? Please, can anyone tell me if I need it, what is it and possibly - how to remove it without 3rd party software. Thank you all in...
  10. Partition Question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partition Question: Hello, I've got a Win-10 Pro system on which I need to shrink C:\ by 15GB and increase the D:\ by 15GB. Since the increase to space is on the left of D:\, I was wondering if I have no option but to use a third-party software or can Win-10 handle this requirement. If...