Windows 10: Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10

Discus and support Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; And now I can't get into my Start menu! Windows Updating it doesn't work. Trying to reinstall using Powershell doesn't help. How do I get my Start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by COMPUTIAC Guest, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10

And now I can't get into my Start menu! Windows Updating it doesn't work. Trying to reinstall using Powershell doesn't help.
    How do I get my Start Menu back?

HoneycombWX, Nov 30, 2015
  2. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 30, 2015
  3. syga Win User
    I don't know why, but I lost my photo and music apps. Kept getting error messages: "MS-WIndows-Store Purge Caches", and some other messages.
    I followed the instructions on the first page of this thread using Powershell. Now everything works properly again, thanks.

4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10

I'm glad it could help syga. *Smile

Brink, Mar 15, 2016
  5. fareez Win User
    Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    How about my problem

fareez, Apr 22, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Apr 22, 2016
  7. username1 Win User
    A little addition for those struggling to restore just some apps without restoring all (use PowerShell):
    Code:
    • Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore*\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode
    • Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsCamera*\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode
    • Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsCalculator*\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode
    • Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsAlarms*\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode
    • Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos*\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode
    [/quote] The syntax to remove all apps but some (several exclusions) is:
    1) for current user:
    Code: Get-AppXPackage | where-object {$_.name –notlike ‘*calculator*’} | where-object {$_.name –notlike ‘*photos*’} | where-object {$_.name –notlike ‘*scan*’} | Remove-AppxPackage[/quote] 2) for all current users:
    Code: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | where-object {$_.name –notlike ‘*calculator*’} | where-object {$_.name –notlike ‘*photos*’} | where-object {$_.name –notlike ‘*scan*’} | Remove-AppxPackage[/quote] 3) for core system account:
    Code: Get-AppxProvisionedPackage –online | where-object {$_.name –notlike ‘*calculator*’} | where-object {$_.name –notlike ‘*photos*’} | where-object {$_.name –notlike ‘*scan*’} | where-object {$_.name –notlike ‘*store*’} | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online[/quote] Tested and working in Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14322.

username1, May 7, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, May 7, 2016
  9. fnanfne Win User
    Hi Brink et al.

I get an error indicating that the app I'm trying to fix/reinstall is currently in use.

I'm assuming I need to close this before executing the PowerShell command. However, as soon as I exit the app, it just starts up again! Do I need to run this from Safe Mode or what?

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be installed because resources it
    modifies are currently in use.
    error 0x80004004: Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed
    Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI.
    NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] b80dca0d-e273-0003-9909-0eb873e2d101 in the Event Log or use
    the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID b80dca0d-e273-0003-9909-0eb873e2d101
    At line:1 char:28
    + ... | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Win ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (C:\Windows\Syst...ppxManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

fnanfne, Jul 19, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello fnanfne, *Smile

This is a normal error to get when trying to re-register an app currently in use.

If you are not having any issues with Cortana, then you can safely ignore it.

If you are having issues with Cortana, then you might try again after restarting the computer, or try in safe mode.

Brink, Jul 19, 2016
  11. fnanfne Win User
    Hi Brink, thanks for the swift reply.

Yes, I have issues with Search (Cortana). Windows 10 Search (Cortana) Not Working - Windows 10 Forums

I made the unfortunate mistake of upgrading a few select users to Windows 10. Each one of them has numerous issues and 90% of them all share this Cortana Search issue which is beyond annoying. The one thing it's supposed to do, "search", it fails at miserably so my confidence in this app is dwindling.

I'm guessing I need to try this (re-registering or re-installing apps) from Safe mode? I'm thinking this as the app just opens again each time it's closed.

fnanfne, Jul 21, 2016
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Jul 21, 2016
  13. cdiota Win User

When I try to use Option Two for Calculator (for example):

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage *WindowsCalculator*).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}"
    I receive the following error:

Add-AppxPackage : Impossibile trovare il percorso 'C:\AppxManifest.xml' perché non esiste.
    In riga:1 car:94
    + ... fest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manife ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\AppxManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], ItemNotFoundException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

Can you help me ?
    Thank you,
    Claudio

cdiota, Aug 10, 2016
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Claudio, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

That error message indicates that Calculator is missing which usually means that it as been completely uninstalled.

If you like, you could do a repair install to restore it without losing anything.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Brink, Aug 10, 2016
  15. tfwul Win User
    Am not sure, but removing apps using the powershell command works fine, but can be tricky once a you want to restore an app.
    example: I want to restore the Appconnector and maybe also Commsphone (after removing these apps outlook.com on my tablet does not work anymore, so I wish to check if these apps may have something to do with it)

the elevated command gets me an error

==
    Code: PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted -Command "& {$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage *AppConnector*).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest}" Add-AppxPackage : Cannot find path 'C:\AppxManifest.xml' because it does not exist. At line:1 char:89 + ... fest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manife ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\AppxManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], ItemNotFoundException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand [/quote] With me, Settings->Apps and Features->Get Started->Advanced Options is missing
    Tutorial: "App - Reset in Windows 10"

=

Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10 [​IMG]

=

So, I guess, one has to go thru the repair thing....? *Sad

=

==

tfwul, Aug 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Reinstall and Re-register Apps in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reinstall register Apps

2. Reinstalling Windows. Will the files be re-registered in the Registry Editor Regedit?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling Windows. Will the files be re-registered in the Registry Editor Regedit?: I want to reinstall Windows. I have 1 SSD and 1 HDD in my computer. All games and some programs are installed on the HDD. Windows is on the SSD.So, when I reinstall Windows, I'll disconnect the HDD so as not to confuse the disks. Then the Windows installation process will...
  3. Reinstalling Windows. Will the files be re-registered in the Registry Editor Regedit?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalling Windows. Will the files be re-registered in the Registry Editor Regedit?: I want to reinstall Windows. I have 1 SSD and 1 HDD in my computer. All games and some programs are installed on the HDD. Windows is on the SSD.So, when I reinstall Windows, I'll disconnect the HDD so as not to confuse the disks. Then the Windows installation process will...
  4. Reinstalling Windows. Will the files be re-registered in the Registry Editor Regedit?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Reinstalling and Re-registering apps

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Reinstalling and Re-registering apps: Hi, Another user, another issue reinstalling and re-registering apps.Last week I upgraded my motherboard, CPU, and RAM, and did a clean - CLEAN - install of Windows to mark the occasion. It's running fine except I don't have a lot of the default apps installed - from the...
  6. Reinstall and Re-register All Built-in Windows Apps in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall and Re-register All Built-in Windows Apps in Windows 10: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/FreeBooter_ [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f053fs/reinstall_and_reregister_all_builtin_windows_apps/
  7. Re-Registering win10 apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-Registering win10 apps: 1) hi i'm trying to convert this powershell command to work in cmd file Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} how can i convert it to work like this PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy...
  8. Re-register Store app in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Re-register Store app in Windows 10: How to: Re-register Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 How to Re-register Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 The Microsoft Store app in Windows 10 offers various apps, games, music, movies & TV, and books that users can browse through, purchase, or get for free to...
  9. Reinstall and Re-register Cortana in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reinstall and Re-register Cortana in Windows 10: How to: Reinstall and Re-register Cortana in Windows 10 How to Reinstall and Re-register Cortana in Windows 10 Cortana is your cloud-based personal assistant that works across your devices and other Microsoft services. Depending on the capabilities of your device and...
  10. Reinstall and Re-register Microsoft Edge in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reinstall and Re-register Microsoft Edge in Windows 10: How to: Reinstall and Re-register Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 How to Reinstall and Re-register Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that is available across the Windows 10 device family. It is designed for Windows 10 to be faster, safer, and...