Windows 10: reinstall/in place upgrade only solution?

Discus and support reinstall/in place upgrade only solution? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; have a win10 machine that has been running un-updated 1607 fine for a year, but now it has started crashing if it's left unattended for a long time.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by zdoe, Dec 27, 2019.

1. zdoe Win User

reinstall/in place upgrade only solution?

have a win10 machine that has been running un-updated 1607 fine for a year, but now it has started crashing if it's left unattended for a long time. coming back to it, it either shows black screen with the mouse pointer, or a log-on screen that doesn't display the desktop even if it gets the correct password. i have been unable to recreate the problem when the machine is being used.

scannow /f doesn't fix it.

is an in-place upgrade the best option? does the activation stay.

does the upgrade maintain the security features where i've disabled microsoft's spying functions as much as i could?

:)

2. reinstall after upgrade

I have a Surface Pro that originally had Windows 8.1 Pro. I have installed the free Windows 10 upgrade, but I now want to reinstall it. I want to completely wipe my hard drive and install Windows 10. I know this can be done, but I need a list of steps to
    get everything necessary to reinstall Windows 10 (including exporting settings & preferences) and how to wipe my hard drive. Are there any good places to get a good detailed list of steps to do these things? Thanks.

Nathan Sokalski, Dec 27, 2019
  3. Kari Win User
    In-place upgrade - XP to 10 without losing the apps

Wolfgang, you need at least two steps (Vista & Seven) between XP and 10, the Eight can be bypassed:
    • XP can only be in-place upgraded to Vista, not Seven or later
    • Vista can be in-place upgraded to Seven but not Eight or later
    • Seven can be in-place upgraded to 10
    • Ergo: XP to Vista is a must, as well as Vista to Seven but then you can bypass the Eight and jump to 10

4. vincec Win User

Solution: Repair or reinstall WPT

I had the same problem with WPA disappearing on startup. Tracked it down to a conflict between my installation of the ADK and SDKs. Specifically, Microsoft.Performance.Core4.Data.dll could not be loaded which I could see using fuslogvw.

The solution was to reinstall the Windows Performance Toolkit using the MSI in the ISO.

1. Download the ISO from here: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=2033686
    2. Try repairing WPT by going to "[ISO Drive Mount]:\Installers\WPTx64-x86_en-us.msi", right clicking, and selecting Repair. This didn't work for me because I didn't have WTP installed, but it might for you so it's worth a try. If it doesn't work continue to the next step.
    3. Run the MSI mentioned above. This installed WPT for me and WPA was able to run again.
    4. If that doesn't work then try installing WPA from the Windows Store.

I had also tried uninstalling/reinstalling the SDK and repairing Visual Studio, but neither of those things worked.

My sources tell me that the conflict between various installers is being ironed out so this shouldn't be such a pain in the future.

vincec, Dec 27, 2019
Thema:

1. reinstall/in place upgrade only solution? - Similar Threads - reinstall place upgrade

2. In place upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In place upgrade: Was wondering could in place upgrade be used to resetting like regdit changes and if so then what else can it restore to default? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-place-upgrade/ff153579-7322-4e44-8daa-8c1e0587e6dc
  3. In place upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In place upgrade: Was wondering could in place upgrade be used to resetting like regdit changes and if so then what else can it restore to default? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-place-upgrade/ff153579-7322-4e44-8daa-8c1e0587e6dc
  4. In Place reinstall of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In Place reinstall of Windows 10: Hi again, there seems to be various ways of doing a in place install of Windows 10. Could I just go into settings, update and security and Recovery ? I want to save settings and personal files etc. I seem to think someone sent me a link about two years ago which worked fine....
  5. in-place upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    in-place upgrade: in-place upgrade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-place-upgrade/ba32d89f-3c2a-40a0-bbfa-ceb62204675e
  6. in-place upgrade

in-place upgrade: in-place upgrade https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-place-upgrade/ba32d89f-3c2a-40a0-bbfa-ceb62204675e
  7. MECM: 20H2 In-Place Upgrade TS Running As Scan-Only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MECM: 20H2 In-Place Upgrade TS Running As Scan-Only: We are testing out some in-place upgrades from 1909 to 20H2 and noticed that during the task sequence step Upgrade OS the logs state the following.Upgrade with Windows Update didn't run, return with 0x87D00708, set ScanOnly to true.ScanOnly mode: nothing else to do in this...
  8. MECM: 20H2 In-Place Upgrade TS Running As Scan-Only

MECM: 20H2 In-Place Upgrade TS Running As Scan-Only: We are testing out some in-place upgrades from 1909 to 20H2 and noticed that during the task sequence step Upgrade OS the logs state the following.Upgrade with Windows Update didn't run, return with 0x87D00708, set ScanOnly to true.ScanOnly mode: nothing else to do in this...
  9. In-Place Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In-Place Upgrade: Hi Paul. Understood your In-place process. But what if I have multiple accounts on my PC Admin, my kids, and my wife...etc would I lose any of those accounts if I did this procedure? Do I need to be worried about any loss of any personal data/info/files on my computer?Sam...
  10. In-place upgrade error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    In-place upgrade error: Hello everyone, I tried a In-place upgrade by downloading the windows 10 iso, but as soon as the installation process start (after selecting keep personal files and apps) the process fails at 0%. Using Windows 10 version 21H1 build 19043.1081. Error log attached 181888