Windows 10: Reinstall-not much helpful

Discus and support Reinstall-not much helpful in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Been having trouble since day one. Reinstalled win10 today (wiping harddrive and reinstall). Works ok as long as I don't touch the start-menu. If I do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by emtor, Apr 2, 2018.

1. emtor Win User

Reinstall-not much helpful

Been having trouble since day one. Reinstalled win10 today (wiping harddrive and reinstall).
    Works ok as long as I don't touch the start-menu. If I do that the screen blacks out every few seconds constantly and the cursor freezes.
    HP Pavilion Notebook
    Win 10 Home

I'm beginning to get seriously pissed off now. Payed 1000 bucks for something that I have not been able to use at all. Everything works well in safe mode which indicates this is not a hardware issue.
    I get a lot of advice: Power settings to max. performance, shut down services I don't need etc. etc. but not much luck with any advice.

If this computer/OS was a person I'd be on death row for murder by now.

:)

emtor, Apr 2, 2018

2. Cortana_ not so helpful

Hi Lynda,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the suggestion provided by Vinod Archak replied on August 6, 2015 from the below link and check if it helps.

Why does Cortana ask me to “Enter your old password one last time”?

Why does Cortana ask me to “Enter your old password one last time”?

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Apr 2, 2018
  3. lynda1204 Win User
    Cortana_ not so helpful

hi

to sign in to set up Cortana, I needed to change my account password as I forgotten it.

this I did and signed in again to access Cortana.

on completion it says I need to finish off by putting in my old password [which I obviously don't know] for one last time.

anyone know a way around this foolishness?

ta Lynda

lynda1204, Apr 2, 2018
  4. dmholt57 Win User

Look in the power settings under what happens when I close the lid. Link at top says Change settings that are currently unavailable. Uncheck the Fast Startup box. This uses a form of hybrid sleep/hibernation, boots from a file made on shutdown. Use Shutdown after taking the check out. Add the model number for your HP in your system specs and we can check it for known problems. *Nerd

dmholt57, Apr 2, 2018
  5. emtor Win User
    Thanks for the advice, but as soon as I open the startmenu it freezes and then it dissappears, time and time again. I can't access power settings or anything else on the startmenu when it acts this way.
    The computer is more useless now than before the re-install.
    I read about several fixes for an acting up startmenu and re-install was the last resort which made things worse.

HP Pavilion Notebook 15aw016no

Win 10 Home
    version 1709
    OSbuild 16299.309

emtor, Apr 2, 2018
  6. dmholt57 Win User
    Can you access the Notifications area and get to settings?

dmholt57, Apr 2, 2018
  7. tomseys Win User
    tomseys, Apr 2, 2018
  8. emtor Win User

Yes, I managed to access power settings and hibernation has been disabled. I read that when you disable hibernation fast startup is also disabled.
    Now I also get a blue screen saying that the computer has run into problems and will re-start.
    After re-install everything seems to work fine if I stay away from clicking on the start-menu.
    And . . . in the power settings window there is no "unavailable settings" button.

emtor, Apr 2, 2018
  9. tomseys Win User
    tomseys, Apr 2, 2018
  10. emtor Win User
    emtor, Apr 2, 2018
  11. tomseys Win User
    That's strange about HP support assistant. Are you able to right click the start button and get that list menu that pops up without issues? You can access some stuff there in the meantime if it works. Maybe check device manager/graphics driver and compare version there with one on the site in this link for your model.

HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support

Maybe also consider doing an SFC /scannow using command prompt admin.

Added: you can also try posting about your issue on the HP forum in addition to here if you haven't already:

Home - HP Support Forum

tomseys, Apr 2, 2018
  12. tomseys Win User
    With HP support assistant and the opening welcome screen, make sure you go through the options on the welcome screen and make selections. The last option you may want to choose "no" with sending information. I find that after I select that the next button will un-grey and then you can proceed to the next screen/program.

tomseys, Apr 2, 2018
  13. zbook New Member

Open the HP website > support and drivers > HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP® Customer Support > enter the computers product or serial number > select the operating system > view drivers and bios > post a URL or hyperlink into the thread.

Please run the beta log collector and post a zip into the thread:
    log collector v2-beta08.zip
    (extract > open)

There a many problems that you have encountered after a clean install:
    Freezing
    black screen
    inability to access start menu

Can you start fresh with another clean install then install fresh drivers?
    Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials
    Download Windows 10

zbook, Apr 2, 2018
  14. emtor Win User
    Everything works in safe mode. But, is it possible to run MS Word in safe mode?
    I know Word has a safe mode, but what I mean is running Word when the computer is in safe mode.
    It's my wife's computer and she needs it for a university exam coming up soon.

emtor, Apr 2, 2018
  15. emtor Win User
    I do not know what I did but now the start menu works,-at least for the last five minutes.
    I ran powershell and created a new user, then restarted. The new user did not appear on the startupscreen, only the old user so I logged in as the old user, and now it works.
    Also the fan doesn't blow with gale force anymore, no more blackouts, everything is lightning fast and so far all seems good.

emtor, Apr 2, 2018
Thema:

1. Reinstall-not much helpful - Similar Threads - Reinstall much helpful

2. 2070 super help much appreciated

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2070 super help much appreciated: Hey everyone. So I just got a new 2070 super founders edition for an amazing price so couldn't pass it up as I was coming off using a GTX 1660 super. Also I'm running i5 9400f. My question is what would be the best controller panel settings for my games to be running high to...
  3. Help reinstalling Visio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help reinstalling Visio: Before landing in the hospital two months ago, I purchased Visio. My old computer melted down and I need to reinstall Visio on my new computer. It wants me to enter the 16-digit key that came with the download. How do I get that key from you so I can activate Visio....
  4. how much data will be removed during reinstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how much data will be removed during reinstall: Hi,I am a Windows 11 Beta insider user and I am now frustrated with windows 11 bc of so many bugs and slow performance. I want to reinstall windows 10 and I have this question:During the reinstall of Windows 10 using Installation media will the Data on only the C:/ Drive will...
  5. how much data will be removed during reinstall

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how much data will be removed during reinstall: Hi,I am a Windows 11 Beta insider user and I am now frustrated with windows 11 bc of so many bugs and slow performance. I want to reinstall windows 10 and I have this question:During the reinstall of Windows 10 using Installation media will the Data on only the C:/ Drive will...
  6. Much help required

Much help required: Hey guys, My laptop was fine and was working perfectly and smoothly without any error till now. Today in the morning, as I switched on my laptop, I noticed that the sound widget with volume slider wasn't going away ( you know that widget thing that appears on our screen when...
  7. Help much appreciated

Help much appreciated: if I bought a portable hardrive to connect to my MacBook (I'm running Windows 10 through boot camp) will it add storage to windows 10? Or do I have to reinstall windows 10 and allocate it more storage? submitted by /u/InfinitySlayerX [link] [comments]...
  8. Windows reinstall help

Windows reinstall help: Hi there, I originally had windows 7 home installed on my HDD, it was then updated to Windows 10 and was automatically activated. I’ve recently installed an SSD for my OS. Since my HDD was too full to clone over to the SSD, I simply reinstalled my version of windows 7 on...
  9. help with reinstalling windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    help with reinstalling windows: so my pc has been randomly restarting itself with different errors each time quite often and one that i have been seeing more often is memory management. i have tried to reinstall windows 8.1 as i have the disk for it and when i put the disk in and set it as the highes...
  10. Help with windows reinstall

Help with windows reinstall: I have a doubt, so I got an ssd and hdd and I have windows installed on the ssd but all my libraries are on the hdd (Downloads, documents, videos etc.) will there be a problem when I reinstall windows and I try to reconnect the same libraries? because I dont want to format...