Windows 10: Reinstall of Windows 10 on Surface laptop failed

Discus and support Reinstall of Windows 10 on Surface laptop failed in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys, I hope someone can help me out. I just literally sold this to someone and I went to clean it out. I selected recovery and to reinstall a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Thomas ColbertThomas, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Reinstall of Windows 10 on Surface laptop failed

Hi guys,

I hope someone can help me out. I just literally sold this to someone and I went to clean it out. I selected recovery and to reinstall a clean windows 10. This originally came with Windows 10S. I upgraded it to regular windows 10 on Microsofts website.

so after everything was going ok, now I have a message"

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered and error. Windows I installation can not proceed. To install Windows, click "ok" to restart the computer and then restart the installation"

Ok, I keep pressing ok and it keeps doing the same thing. Can someone please help me out here. I'm very computer illiterate when it comes to this. I have no idea what to try to do here or what happened.

Thanks,

Tommy

PS: this is a base model 2017 surface laptop 1 with the I5 and 4Gb or ram. Reinstall of Windows 10 on Surface laptop failed [​IMG]

:)

Thomas ColbertThomas, Dec 14, 2019
  2. Brink Win User

Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, Reinstall of Windows 10 on Surface laptop failed :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Dec 14, 2019
  3. Brink Win User
    Surface Tools for IT Update for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop

Source: Surface Tools for IT Update for Surface Pro and Surface Laptop Surface

Brink, Dec 14, 2019
  4. Reinstall of Windows 10 on Surface laptop failed

Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Dec 14, 2019
Thema:

Reinstall of Windows 10 on Surface laptop failed

1. Reinstall of Windows 10 on Surface laptop failed - Similar Threads - Reinstall Surface laptop

2. Failed to reinstall windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failed to reinstall windows 10: I have blue sreen critical process died tried to reinstall windows 10 several times but it always fail when it reach between 30-50%Following advices of friends tied to fix this by going to system restore and/or command prompt but was faced by the problem to enter password for...
  3. Failed to reinstall windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed to reinstall windows 10: I have blue sreen critical process died tried to reinstall windows 10 several times but it always fail when it reach between 30-50%Following advices of friends tied to fix this by going to system restore and/or command prompt but was faced by the problem to enter password for...
  4. Failed to reinstall windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reactivating Windows 10 Pro on a Surface Laptop after a recovery image reinstall

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating Windows 10 Pro on a Surface Laptop after a recovery image reinstall: Hello,At work, I have a Surface Laptop 3 15" Ryzen 5 that was having some trouble with printing, network drives, general UI, etc. We tried a heap of troubleshooting however the user ended up needing another device on short notice as a workaround.I then went to reset the...
  6. Reinstall windows 10 onto laptop with failed SSD.

Reinstall windows 10 onto laptop with failed SSD.: Hi all,A little bit ago my laptops SSD failed. I had an old computer to use as a backup and was doing so until it recently started experiencing some major lags. I decided to replace my SSD in my ASUS Ux430 and try to get it up and running again. The old SSD had windows 10 on...
  7. Reinstalling Windows 10 on my Surface Laptop 3

Reinstalling Windows 10 on my Surface Laptop 3: I've been using Ubuntu 20.04 on my Surface Laptop 3 for some time now but recently decided to get rid of it since Autodesk Fusion360 isn't supported on linux machines. I made a windows 10 installation media and then cleaned off my hard drive and made it into unallocated space...
  8. Surface Laptop PXE boot attempt fails in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Surface Laptop PXE boot attempt fails in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If when you perform the PXE (Preboot Execution Environment) boot on a Surface Laptop by pressing the power and volume-down buttons, the Windows logo may […] This article Surface Laptop PXE boot attempt fails in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  9. Fail to reinstall Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fail to reinstall Windows 10: So I tryed to reinstall Windows 10 on my new ssd so I run the setup on the USB and after it got "installed" the setup just run again and I don't have a idea what to do now! Can you help me pls? submitted by /u/Sirclassicx [link] [comments]...
  10. windows 10 reinstall fail

windows 10 reinstall fail: I have had to reinstall windows 7 pro because windows 10 crashed and would not run. now when I try to reinstall wndows 10 it keeps faiing .Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-reinstall-fail/06ae4723-bbd3-46a1-bb57-1db9ddfc194c