Windows 10: Reinstall OS without ruining data?

Discus and support Reinstall OS without ruining data? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi guys, sorry to come here with more of a tech support question (I'm not really getting any traction anywhere else, unfortunately). I have an SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nlightningm, May 12, 2020.

1. Reinstall OS without ruining data?

Hi guys, sorry to come here with more of a tech support question (I'm not really getting any traction anywhere else, unfortunately).

I have an SSD with Win 10 installed on it - my main drive. I was messing around with some stuff and using Win10 to edit partitions on other drives, and eventually started messing around with Gparted (didn't really do much with it to be honest). I think it's *possible* that I tried to move a small 500MB 'recovery partition" to the end of the volume in Gparted (for reasons not worth explaining) and then cancelled super early on in the process, but I'm not sure as it's been 4 or 5 days since I've been working with these drives.

However, now when I try to boot from my SSD, I get a Windows logo for a few seconds, and then suddenly get stuck on the spinning white circles. Strangely, when booting from another OS I can still explore all of the partitions and see my files as if it were my original C drive, I just can't boot Windows 10 from it.

I've tried chkdsk (which seeeems to be my only option?). I would love to be able to just reinstall Win10 directly on top of everything that's already there, but I doubt that's possible... Of course I had JUST thought of making restore points/backups of this drive before this happened and I didn't get the chance. Lucky me.

Hopefully someone here can help... it'd be massively appreciated!

submitted by /u/nlightningm
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/nlightningm, May 12, 2020
  2. swapan81 Win User

How to reinstall windows 10 OS into another PC with the same product key?

I want to reinstall my OS into another PC. What's the procedure to do it if anybody knows, please suggest me step by step procedure.

swapan81, May 12, 2020
  3. Help!EVGA GTX460 768MB SuperClocked ruined my weekend Reinstall OS without ruining data? :((

he is currently on Win 7 Ultimate 32Bit (god knows why your talking about Vista!?!?). I was suggesting he steps up to Win 7 Ultimate 64Bit (because he has Ultimate edition already) so he can make use of all 6GB of his RAM, not just 4GB.

If he cant test the new card in another system, to see if the card is defective, what other option does he have? (if he has tried everything else). Sometimes, a fresh install of Windows is needed. if he doesnt have a lot of data/programs to backup, I dont see the problem.

HookeyStreet, May 12, 2020
  4. Reinstall OS without ruining data?

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, May 12, 2020
Thema:

Reinstall OS without ruining data?

1. Reinstall OS without ruining data? - Similar Threads - Reinstall without ruining

2. Transferring Data to an External SSD without an OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transferring Data to an External SSD without an OS: Do i need to install an OS on a new SSD that i want to use as an external Storage Drive or i can just transfer my data without having to go through the hustle of installing the ISO image to the external SSD...
  3. Transferring Data to an External SSD without an OS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring Data to an External SSD without an OS: Do i need to install an OS on a new SSD that i want to use as an external Storage Drive or i can just transfer my data without having to go through the hustle of installing the ISO image to the external SSD...
  4. Transferring Data to an External SSD without an OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reinstall Windows without losing data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Windows without losing data: If I use media creation tool - upgrade this pc now, then it will keep my apps and files?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-without-losing-data/3c3f5739-b3c1-401e-8b1b-b7fbd8f51743
  6. Reinstall Windows without losing data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Windows without losing data: If I use media creation tool - upgrade this pc now, then it will keep my apps and files?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-without-losing-data/3c3f5739-b3c1-401e-8b1b-b7fbd8f51743
  7. Reinstall Windows without losing data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Full reinstall or reset without saving data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Full reinstall or reset without saving data?: My pc has too much trash as of now so I'd like to know which will work best without me wasting time, since I just want a pretty much clean state of my system for it to be fast again submitted by /u/SandeMC [link] [comments]...
  9. Can I install the OS to an SSD by reinstalling windows with the "Install without losing data"?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I install the OS to an SSD by reinstalling windows with the "Install without losing data"?: Hello, so I have gotten an SSD from a broken laptop, and I want to install windows to it, problem is, I have way too many files to archive them and do a clean install, and my C draive is much, much, larger than the SSD, can I install it there using the windows reset thing?...
  10. reinstall windows without wiping data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reinstall windows without wiping data: I'll start off with saying I'm an idiot for not backing up my files before my pc crashed and gave me the blue screen of death. Is there a way to reinstall windows and still keep my files on my hard drive? Can I use the installation media from a usb without wiping my computer?...