Windows 10: Reinstall: product key blocked?

Discus and support Reinstall: product key blocked? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I originally got win10 through the free upgrade from 8.1 and did the install that only replaces system files etc. Some things weren't working correctly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by arisutan, Aug 22, 2015.

1. arisutan Win User

Reinstall: product key blocked?

I originally got win10 through the free upgrade from 8.1 and did the install that only replaces system files etc. Some things weren't working correctly such as the sleep function and I kept being unable to login due to the start menu and Cortana not starting, so I decided to do a reset of the OS.
    I managed to reset and get a fresh install of win10 but now I can't get activation to work. I've run all the windows updates and tried the slmgr.vbs /ato command but it says my product key is blocked..what should I do?

:)

arisutan, Aug 22, 2015
  2. Andre Da Costa, Aug 22, 2015
  3. Lost product key after reinstall

Is there anyway to figure out what the product key on my computer was after a reinstall? I had written down the "product ID" thinking that was the key since nothing in the about screen had a "product key" like they used to, but that was not it. I have
    since reinstalled and will not spend another $200 for a key.

fishertimm, Aug 22, 2015
  4. Tony K Win User

Hello there, arisutan. Welcome to the forum.

How did you go about resetting 10?

Tony K, Aug 24, 2015
  5. arisutan Win User
    I did it from the settings within Windows, there is a "reset" function. It actually didn't work and failed to boot afterwards and I had to reinstall off a flash drive loaded with a win10 installation ISO.

arisutan, Aug 24, 2015
  6. Rudy Mas Win User
    Did you use the same version of Windows 10?

Home/Pro, 32/64-bit, Language (US, UK or other.)

The clean install has to be done with the exact same version as the Upgrade, or else you won't be able to activate it.

Rudy Mas, Aug 24, 2015
  7. arisutan Win User
    I have no idea, I wasn't aware there were different versions...I mean, obviously I kept same bit-version. I didn't know there was a home/pro. I didn't see an option to select that at any point in the download or installation process. I think I had Home Premium windows 8 so does that mean I need home of Windows 10? Am I gonna have to reinstall windows all over again @_@

arisutan, Aug 24, 2015
  8. Tony K Win User

Ok. Where did you get the ISO?

Tony K, Aug 24, 2015
  9. Rudy Mas Win User
    Yes, if you had the Home version of 8, you need to upgrade it with the Home version of 10. If you used the Pro version, it won't get activated.

The only solution here, is going back to your previous version of Windows. (This is an option in Windows 10.)

Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery

You should see an option to go back to your previous version here. After this, you can re-upgrade with the right version of Windows 10.

I just read the topic again, and you did a clean install already, then you can't go back, of course.

You could try to do a clean install with Windows 10 Home, but if you never had an activated version on your system, this probably will not work either.

Only other option left then, is installing your Windows 8 again, and do the upgrade to 10 again.

Rudy Mas, Aug 24, 2015
  10. acmanten Win User
    I have a valid Win 7 Product Key - and my Win 10 system did not accept it when I added it - to authorize my new upgrAde to Win 10.

Is there any email address or URL available at Microsoft where we are able to check a PRODUCT Key for validity ?

Thanks, Cliff M. .

acmanten, Aug 24, 2015
  11. arisutan Win User
    I had a working and activated version of 10 home for a good while but did a reset because of problems mentioned in OP. I'll try and reinstall with Home and see if it activates... (only assuming it's home since i'm fairly sure thats what my 8.1 was)

arisutan, Aug 24, 2015
  12. Rudy Mas Win User
    Windows 10 will only accept Windows 10 Product Keys (Retail Keys).

The upgrade process is activated with a general upgrade key that can't be used to activate your Windows 10 version. *Smile That's why with a clean install (after an upgrade from Win7/8.1), you need to skip the part to enter a product key, and after installation, Windows 10 will check with the Microsoft server if you already had an activated upgrade installed on that machine.

Rudy Mas, Aug 24, 2015
  13. Rudy Mas Win User

Okay, that should work then. If you had an activated Win10 Home on it, a clean install will get activated as well. When asked for a product key, just skip it.

Rudy Mas, Aug 24, 2015
  14. arisutan Win User
    Thanks so much for your help. I'll do this and if I run into any more problems I'll post again here

arisutan, Aug 24, 2015
  15. arisutan Win User
    Thanks to your help I think I managed to fix it. I made another bootable drive and made sure to select Windows 10 Home edition and it seemed to activate upon startup no problem. Thanks so much!

I have one more unrelated question: How do I know if I can upgrade my Win7 desktop to Win10 for free? I never ever got the "reserve" icon in the tray..

arisutan, Aug 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Reinstall: product key blocked? - Similar Threads - Reinstall product key

2. Blocked Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blocked Product Key: Hello i bought a HP Pavilion p6-2301sx in 2013 in 2016 the motherboard died so i replaced it with a GA-H61M-S2PT but i didn't issue a hardware change report so back in may of this year i managed to restore the original os only to find that the product key of MY PC had been...
  3. Blocked Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blocked Product Key: Hello i bought a HP Pavilion p6-2301sx in 2013 in 2016 the motherboard died so i replaced it with a GA-H61M-S2PT but i didn't issue a hardware change report so back in may of this year i managed to restore the original os only to find that the product key of MY PC had been...
  4. product key and reinstalling windows ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    product key and reinstalling windows ?: I activated my device with windows 10. then shortly asked if I wanted to upgrade to a better more fast and safer design windows 10 enterprise I did shortly before it started the form. I had the info. on the the product key asked to down load it with a flash drive I didn't...
  5. Reinstall product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall product key: hi already l have product key have i can reinstall https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-product-key/5b23a23d-7eac-4f64-aabf-38cccf021afe
  6. Reinstalling Windows with Product Key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstalling Windows with Product Key: Over the break and in the past few months I've been waiting to do a full system wipe to start from scratch on my PC. The primary reason is that I am installing a new 500 gb m.2 SSD so I wanted to make that my boot drive, but also wanted to get rid of anything I didn't and...
  7. reinstall using product key

reinstall using product key: i had to clear my computer after i installed MSO using product key. i am not able to reinstall with same key now. HELP i am not good with computers so please be patient. *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  8. Reinstalling Windows Product Key

Reinstalling Windows Product Key: I recently reinstalled windows 10 pro on my computer. I had it activated beforehand and it was working perfectly fine, but after reinstallation it wasnts another product key? Am I supposed to use my first product key?...
  9. Blocked product key issue

Blocked product key issue: Hello. I just bought recently a retailed USB stick Windows 10 home full version for my new laptop. Right now the 64 bits built is installed. When I'm trying to activate the product key, it doesn't work. I tried using command prompts to activate it, but it would tell me that...
  10. Product Key for reinstalling windows

Product Key for reinstalling windows: I want to reinstall my laptop When I bought my laptop, there were already windows 10 So, if windows ask me a product key when reinstalling, where I can see my windows product key?...