Windows 10: Reinstall Win 10 upgrade after HD reformat

Discus and support Reinstall Win 10 upgrade after HD reformat in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The original OS on my PC was Win 7 Pro. I upgraded to Win 10-Pro a while ago with the free upgrade path. I was having trouble with the PC running very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by pachmarhi, Jul 6, 2020.

1. pachmarhi Win User

Reinstall Win 10 upgrade after HD reformat

The original OS on my PC was Win 7 Pro. I upgraded to Win 10-Pro a while ago with the free upgrade path. I was having trouble with the PC running very slowly and was told by the manufacturer that it was probably because the HD was dying. I don't think it is, but to give the PC its best chance I decided start out afresh, so reinstalled Win7 from the original CD supplied, spent 2 days with Windows update to get Win 7 'up to date' and updated all the drivers I could. and then tried to upgrade again. Unfortunately it now asks for the product key. I used the original Win 7 product key (worked last time) but this now no longer works. I tried using the Win 10 product key that I got off a Belarc Advisor report I ran before reformatting the HD. That doesn't work either. I know this is well past the deadline for upgrade, though I upgraded a couple of other PCs about 3 months ago without difficulty. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Also I have errors showing in Device Manager saying driver not installed for SM Bus Controller and USB Controller. The PC has both USB 2 and USB 3 ports. The USB 2 work but the USB 3 have stopped working.

PC is quite old (2012) but still working reasonably. The Win 7 reinstall has dealt with the speed issue I had previously.

Thanks

current Win ver: Win 7 Pro ver 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

:)

pachmarhi, Jul 6, 2020

2. win 10 to pro upgrade reinstall

Purchased Win 10 Pro upgrade from MS store. HD crashed. Reformatted HD. Can't figure out how to reinstall Pro upgrade.

BuddyMorgan1, Jul 6, 2020
  3. Fresh Install of Win 10 without Serial Key?

Looking to reformat a laptops HDD, and then reinstall Win 10 fresh. The problem is it came pre-installed with Win 8 and I did the free upgrade to Win 10. How exactly would I re-format the HDD, reinstall Win 10 and ensure it reactivates properly? I don't see a Win 8 serial key anywhere in the contents of the box.

Flogger23m, Jul 6, 2020
  4. Reinstall Win 10 upgrade after HD reformat

Can I reinstall Windows 10 "free upgrade" version, after a HD failure?

I have a computer that the hard drive failed in, that was running the free Upgrade version of Windows 10. That computer was running Windows 7 Pro, which I still have the original disk and licence for. I upgraded to Win 10 on that computer, when it first
    was offered as a free upgrade.

Is it possible to replace the HD and somehow do a Windows 10 basic "clean install" and continue to use this computer? I'm not replacing any other hardware.

I don't have the Win 10 download files, if there ever were any, and even if I do, they are on the now-dead HD.

And, I can't remember if the free download version just used my valid Win 7 licence for the valid install of Win 10.

I checked my Microsoft account, and it does not list that now-dead PC as a device. I may not have registered it when I did the upgrade.

Anyway, can someone help me? Is this possible to continue to use the free upgrade Win 10 that I had, on the new HD/old computer setup?

Do I just use my old Win 7 licence to activate the new install? Where can I download the version of Win 10 that matches the "free download" version, if possible.

Any help would be appreciated. Perhaps a link to someone who has had the same trouble, with step by step for the "new" install.

Thanks for your help!

maherdavidj, Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

Reinstall Win 10 upgrade after HD reformat

1. Reinstall Win 10 upgrade after HD reformat - Similar Threads - Reinstall upgrade reformat

2. Corrupted files even after reformat / reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Corrupted files even after reformat / reinstalling Windows 10: So this issue started the other day after I had a windows update stop in a middle of a percentage and then after many hours I turned off the computer. Tried doing the update again. Then after that update windows gave me a black screen, only thing working was ctrl alt del....
  3. Reinstall software after Win 10 reinstall

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Reinstall software after Win 10 reinstall: I just purchased a blue ray player from the Microsoft store and had to reinstall windows 10. I was able to reinstall my 2019 Outlook that I just purchased but it does not show me how to reinstall my blue ray player. What do I have to do about this? I have searched all over...
  4. win 10 to pro upgrade reinstall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win 10 to pro upgrade reinstall: Purchased Win 10 Pro upgrade from MS store. HD crashed. Reformatted HD. Can't figure out how to reinstall Pro upgrade. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-to-pro-upgrade-reinstall/29a87778-4144-454c-9bb3-b86900d705af
  5. Win 10 not upgrading to Pro after reinstall

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 not upgrading to Pro after reinstall: Hi all, I had to reinstall my OS after a hard disk crash, I re-installed by downloading again the original setup from Dell. That's all working. The problem is I had upgraded my OS from Home to Pro before the crash, but my PC has not upgraded itself to the Pro version...
  6. Reformatting SSD and not HD

Reformatting SSD and not HD: Hello there! I have an MSI Laptop with a 128gb SSD and a 500gb HD. I have windows installed on my SSD and personal files on my HD. But now my SSD is almost full i wish to format it / reinstall windows 10 on it for a fresh start, but without losing the data on my HD. I...
  7. Product code for Win 10 Clean reinstall after upgrade

Product code for Win 10 Clean reinstall after upgrade: I have downloaded the Windows 10 Pro ISO file from MS and burnt it to a DVD. It offers to install it as an upgrade over my Win 8.1 Pro installation on my PC. Once I have done this, can I then format the hard drive, and do a clean installation of Win 10 on the same...
  8. Win10 free upgrade after reformatting

Win10 free upgrade after reformatting: EDIT: For future reference, when resetting (reformat) your windows 10 PC, you won't need to reinstall your OS. I'm not sure if its the same thing for when you completely wipe your PC though. [How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC] We've only bought the Win8 disk and got the Win...
  9. Realtek HD audio non sound after win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Realtek HD audio non sound after win 10 upgrade: So I just installed windows 10 on my Asus N55SL (previously running windows 7), for the most part it works great however I am having trouble getting sound to play. I have tried installing the latest realtek HD audio drivers but thishas not helped at all, I have found that if...
  10. Reformat win 10

Reformat win 10: Hello all, Can someone instruct me the correct way to reformat windows 10 home. I want reformat to where everything is erased and back to factory condition (like new). I assume when this done that win 10 will reinstall itself and any programs, etc that came with the Pc...