Windows 10: Reinstall Win10 from Win7. New hard drive; microsoft won't accept Win7 key

Discus and support Reinstall Win10 from Win7. New hard drive; microsoft won't accept Win7 key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Trying to reload Windows 10 Pro on machine with new hard drive but same MOBO. Win10 originally loaded via free upgrade from valid Win7 product key.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JeffSlusher, May 14, 2020.

1. Reinstall Win10 from Win7. New hard drive; microsoft won't accept Win7 key

Trying to reload Windows 10 Pro on machine with new hard drive but same MOBO. Win10 originally loaded via free upgrade from valid Win7 product key.

Using MediaCreationTool1909.exe to download/load reload but I get an 'invalid' response after entering original Win7 product key.

:)

JeffSlusher, May 14, 2020

2. Re-install Win10 on a free upgrade from Win7 computer with crashed Harddrive

My hard drive crashed, and I need to reinstall Windows on a new hard drive.

I've got a Win7 license and used the free upgrade to Win10.

1. Is it possible to reinstall?

I'm uncertain about the process:
    2. Should I download Win7 with another computer? if so, where?
    3. ..and then put it on a USB? if so, wher?
    4. ..and then install it on my new hard drive?
    5. When do I put in the Product Key?
    6. When do I upgrade to Win10? and how?
    Please let me know how to go about this.

Regards

/Lars

LarsEriksson3, May 14, 2020
  3. new hard drive has win7

My old laptop has a new hard drive in which I had installed win7. This was a few months before getting notified about the termination of updates to win7. laptops. Anyways what I want to know is if installing win10 software on my laptop would be better
    than buying a laptop that I can't even afford

Terry LinRandall, May 14, 2020
  4. Tim B285 Win User

Reinstall Win10 from Win7. New hard drive; microsoft won't accept Win7 key

Win10 on new hard drive, how to activate

• Installed Win10 to new hard drive, but Win7 code does not work.
    • Tried online (slui.exe 4) activation:
      • entered numeric codes online - which failed,
      • talked to 1st line tech who entered Win7 code - did not work,
      • transferred me to 2nd line tech and no one came on the phone line after 2.5 hours.

Win7 was pre-installed on HP computer with no media provided and HP support has no process to supply replacement media or ISO (last HP purchase). Tried to install Win7 to new drive using Recovery Disks I created, but it could not find system image.

Not willing to return to old hard drive as the new one has SSD and is at least 3 (7?) times faster.

QUESTION 1: Is my only option now to buy either Win7 or Win10?

QUESTION 2: Without activation, when will Win10 no longer boot? If 12 months, I can retry online activation later.

Tim B285, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Reinstall Win10 from Win7. New hard drive; microsoft won't accept Win7 key

1. Reinstall Win10 from Win7. New hard drive; microsoft won't accept Win7 key - Similar Threads - Reinstall Win10 Win7

2. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  3. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key: I have an old computer that was running Windows 7 with an original product key, I just purchased a used laptop that is much faster than my old box had Windows 10 installed on it and would like to use my Windows 7 product key to activate Win10. I tried entering the Win7...
  4. Win7 to Win10 using Win7 product key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question

Upgrading from Win7 to Win10, a hard drive question: I have an old PC running Win7 that cannot be upgraded to 10 because of the BIOS not supporting Win10.I have purchased another PC with Win10 installed, so the new PC BIOS is Win10 compatible.I'd like to be able to avoid having to reinstall all the software that I have on my...
  6. Win7 key to reinstall Win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win7 key to reinstall Win10: My PC used to run Win7 when I bought it few years ago, upgraded it to Win10 later as it was free. I would like to reinstall my windows 10 now but do I use my old Win7 product key to reinstall Win10? or is the key no longer usable at all?...
  7. Hard drive with Win10 keeps crashing to hard drive with Win7

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive with Win10 keeps crashing to hard drive with Win7: Hello, I'm not sure if this is even a Windows issue but I thought I'd try to see if maybe anyone can shed some insight as to what the heck is going on with my computer! I have a HDD with Win7 installed and as a partition from way back when. I've since gotten a SSD with...
  8. new hard drive has win7

new hard drive has win7: My old laptop has a new hard drive in which I had installed win7. This was a few months before getting notified about the termination of updates to win7. laptops. Anyways what I want to know is if installing win10 software on my laptop would be better than buying a laptop...
  9. Win7 to Win10 won't activate.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win7 to Win10 won't activate.: Hi all, I got a problem i still have about 60 notebooks left with Win7 enterprise. What i did was got the files from SCCM that we normally deploy/install our notebooks with. I started the setup and it came with a upgrade procedure, following all the steps it started...
  10. will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    will win10 accept a separate hard drive with bootable win7 on it?: In the past few days, win10 seems to have serious issues with that win7 drive plugged into the sata port? So much so that I wiped the win10 partitions and did fresh install. Prior to the fresh install win10 refused to boot to the desktop if that other win7 drive was plugged...