Windows 10: Reinstall Win10 Pro UEFI or Legacy BIOS

Discus and support Reinstall Win10 Pro UEFI or Legacy BIOS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am preparing to reinstall Windows 10 Pro. I am going to do a complete delete-everything reinstall. I am going by the article posted in this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by expertbigwheelpilot2, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Reinstall Win10 Pro UEFI or Legacy BIOS

I am preparing to reinstall Windows 10 Pro. I am going to do a complete delete-everything reinstall. I am going by the article posted in this community by Greg Carmack - Windows MVP “Clean Install Windows 10

I am going to use the basic Media Creation Tool referenced in the article to do the reinstall. I will put it on a 8 gb USB flash drive I have. That seems like the simplest method to reinstall Win10. I quoted from this article below. In the article the paragraph above the quote references avery complete article about the many options for the Win install media creation. From that article “Option One: Use Media Creation Tool to create Bootable Windows 10 USB for Legacy BIOS and UEFI”. This implies I need to know if I have UEFI or Legacy BIOS.

Under “Backup and Prepare” section it says “The new modern UEFI BIOS replacement requires 64 bit media - you can check BIOS mode in System Information or by presence of EFI System partition in Disk Management.”

I restart computer and > Press F2 to get into BIOS utility.

The BIOS settings page at top says “ASUS UEFI BIOS Utility EZ Mode” and “Z87-A BIOS Version 2103”. Then, according to the above quote, I go into “System Information”. That says I have “Legacy” BIOS. I go into Windows Disk Management. I do not know why there are so many partitions. I did not knowingly create these. I do not see anything that references UEFI. “ASUS UEFI BIOS Utility EZ Mode” implies the installed BIOS on my computer is UEFI. Windows System Information and Windows Disk Management says my BIOS is Legacy.

Do I have UEFI or Legacy BIOS? Using the basicMedia Creation Tool to reinstall Win10 will I need to know if I have UEFI or Legacy BIOS. Thank you for your help. Bob.

I run i7-4770 Haswell midtower, 15GB memory, 500GB SSD, 2GB video card & Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909, Build 18363.1083 Windows firewall. I use my computer in a normal user account not an administrator account. I vigilantly keep everything updated.

Reinstall Win10 Pro UEFI or Legacy BIOS fedd5d2a-9913-49aa-9818-2f111570127e?upload=true.png Reinstall Win10 Pro UEFI or Legacy BIOS 8dad2d27-53dc-4173-a085-a7ef54af6259?upload=true.png

:)

expertbigwheelpilot2, Oct 1, 2020
  2. dac81048 Win User

Problem Regarding Bios Change from UEFI to Legacy

I have hp pavilion p045tx with windows 10 pro. I recently install Ubuntu with windows 10 so for that I convert my bios setting from UEFI to Legacy mode for install third party software like wireless Driver and all in Ubuntu.
    But after every restart the bios setting change to default and that is to UEFI mode and that will cause an problem of no OS detect. Every time I have to go to bios setting and enable the legacy mode to start my OS. Can anyone suggest me what to do in this
    case.

dac81048, Oct 1, 2020
  3. 72westy Win User
    Legacy to UEFI

I'm debating moving to UEFI form my now legacy BIOS (Award Software Int.) the mother board is a GA-Z68XP-UD3 rev1.0 on the the following link it shows a UEFI BIOS U1J )UEFI BIOS)

GA-Z68XP-UD3 (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

Currently I'm running the legacy F10 BIOS. Does installing the UEFI BIOS automatically take care of everything to get to the UEFI BIOS? Installing the UEFI BIOS following the instructions using the Q-flash method GIGABYTE How to Reflash Motherboard BIOS

What's steps do I take and in what order?

Much appreciated

72westy, Oct 1, 2020
  4. globrif Win User

Reinstall Win10 Pro UEFI or Legacy BIOS

Converting from bios (legacy) to uefi - How?

Hi

thank you and Andre for the speedy replies.

I was aware of some of the windows limitations you described, and the varying stages of UEFI readiness in Linux.

I also know that Win10 will run in legacy mode. My reason for going UEFI is that I may need to install some larger-capacity disks (4TB)

When going to UEFI, I am prepared to format my disks and reinstall ARCH etc.

Trying to crystalise where I think I am now:

My understanding is that the UEFI setup can only happen as part of a clean install (or re-install) - rather than as part of an upgrade. Am I correct?

My understanding also is that the upgrade to Win10 MUST be done by way of an upgrade - as opposed to a clean install, but that after that it can be reinstalled i.e clean install. Am I correct?

That would suggest that I convert to UEFI either

- by reinstalling WIn8.1 now, I do not want to do this now, not least because my WIn8.1 came by way of Win7 upgraded with Win8 Pro upgrade followed by upgrade to Win8.1 pro using MS update. I'm just not sure how I would do this reinstall so I would rather
    just leave it as it is until I get to Win10.

- by re-installing Win10 after I have done the Win10 upgrade.

Am I correct in my assumptions ?

Again, thank you both for taking the time to reply so promptly.

firbolg

globrif, Oct 1, 2020
Thema:

Reinstall Win10 Pro UEFI or Legacy BIOS

1. Reinstall Win10 Pro UEFI or Legacy BIOS - Similar Threads - Reinstall Win10 Pro

2. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  3. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  4. Bios swap legacy to uefi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bios swap legacy to uefi: Motherboard/cpu upgraded ready for win 11. How to reinstall win 10 digital license to use new uefi bios. No facility for doing this. only gives option for retail licence install of win 10.trying to get system ready for win 11 but this is an obstacle to installation...
  5. Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem: I have a DELL Optilex 990 so when I go to my bios I go to Boot Sequence then I switch to UEFI and the Boot Sequence is empty. When I boot up my Device it says no bootable devices found. How do I fix this. Please tell me the file path to Windows Boot Manager because I still...
  6. Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS: Hello,First time posting here. I want to change from LEGACY to UEFI, I'm thinking:Will the computer be able to boot?I use it regularly, and I hope it works after this changover!I am not a computer geek. But I do know how to get into BIOS.Thanks...
  7. UEFI / Legacy BIOS Mess and Windows Update

in Windows 10 Support
    UEFI / Legacy BIOS Mess and Windows Update: Hi When Windows 10 ran its automatic update I got a message "Windows can't be installed because this PC has an unsupported disk layout for UEFI firmware". I think this is probably my own fault - I remember having boot problems a while ago (can't remember what caused them...
  8. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  9. EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......: This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running flawlessly with Windows 10. I will use the clean install tutorials from this forum. I hav two options, with or without UEFI...
  10. Help with Legacy BIOS Boot setup and Windows 10 reinstall non-UEFI

Help with Legacy BIOS Boot setup and Windows 10 reinstall non-UEFI: I've been having constant problems with my new Sound BlasterX AE-5 soundcard not being consistently recognized at boot. It seems it is extremely similar to the issue that the older Sound Blaster Z cards had several years ago where they were not recognized on many, but not...