Windows 10: Reinstall Windows 10 (digital license)

Discus and support Reinstall Windows 10 (digital license) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a friend, she has a Dell laptop that had Windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 10 when it was free her hard drive failed and so we bought a new hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Trust_No1, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Trust_No1 Win User

Reinstall Windows 10 (digital license)

I have a friend, she has a Dell laptop that had Windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 10 when it was free
    her hard drive failed and so we bought a new hard drive and are ready to reinstall

can I download Windows 10 iso and install that and would it recognized it as the same machine?

I am uncertain how it knows if 10 was installed prior

or do I need to reinstall windows 7 and then upgrade?

:)

Trust_No1, Oct 21, 2017

2. Digital license

Thats how licensing works with Windows 10, the digital license is attached to your Microsoft Account and makes it easy to reactivate Windows 10 in the event you reinstall it.

Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, Oct 21, 2017
  3. Windows Digital License

I have Windows 10 Pro for my desktop and Windows 10 Home for my laptop.

They are both activated and given an digital license to my microsoft account. But for both of those digital license, i used one same microsoft acount to get digital license.

Does that mean that my laptop(Home) and desktop(Pro) both will have digital license? or only one of it will have the digital license.

So for example, if I get in to a situation where I have to reinstall windows on my Desktop, I would reinstall and sign in with microsoft account to activate my digital license. But because my laptop is already activated with that same microsoft account,
    would it block me from activating desktop again? Or can Digital License have multiple PC activated?(Like my Laptop and Desktop. They both do say activated with digital license but I'm still not sure of it)

Tom Chardy, Oct 21, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Digital licenses are now tied to MS accounts. If she uses one it should activate. Give it some time. If not, use the activation troubleshooter or enter her W7 keys in the Settings app > Update & security > Activation.

Use Activation Troubleshooter in Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Tony K, Oct 21, 2017
  5. Microsoft has said that "once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge.

You can also use Windows 7 product key to activate Windows 10 but you don't have to worry install Windows 10 and skip the supplying product key part for Windows 10 soon as you are online Windows 10 will activate it self.

FreeBooter, Oct 21, 2017
  6. Hi,
    Last time I reinstalled 10 there was no skip
    It was renamed to create a off line account
    Most straight forward method still is to install without a internet connection so no new freaky terms are used by the installer *Smile

If she used a MS email account there shouldn't be any issues activating.

ThrashZone, Oct 21, 2017
  7. The Linked to your Microsoft Account is just an extra feature to make Activation troubleshooting and transferring a license easier. It's not a requirement for activation. I have many times clean installed and logged in with a local account and Windows activated just fine with the Digital License it already had. Once you do the free upgrade, and activate with a Digital License. That Digital License is stored on the activation server along with a hardware hash (fingerprint) of the PC.

If you clean install the same Edition of Windows 10 (Home, Pro etc) you got with the free upgrade, and do a skip entering a key. It should activate with the DL it originally got. What account you setup with makes no difference. It will just relink to that Microsoft Account. If you use a local account it just won't link. It will still activate just fine.

alphanumeric, Oct 21, 2017
  8. Reinstall Windows 10 (digital license)

From my own testing I have found that, if you clean install with no Internet connection, you are restricted to using a local account. It's the only option shown. You can switch to a Microsoft Account latter on though, once you have an internet account.

9. There was "no skip" what exactly?

10. Tony K Win User
    You're welcome. How did it go?

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reinstall Windows 10 (digital license) - Similar Threads - Reinstall digital license

2. Reinstall Windows 10 Pro from Digital License

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Windows 10 Pro from Digital License: About a week ago I purchased a M1 MacBook Pro. I installed Parallels which installed the Arm version of Windows 11. I then purchased the upgrade to Pro in the Microsoft Store.The Arm version of Windows 11 Pro had some software incompatibilities, so I returned the M1 MacBook...
  3. Reinstall Windows 10 Pro from Digital License

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Windows 10 Pro from Digital License: About a week ago I purchased a M1 MacBook Pro. I installed Parallels which installed the Arm version of Windows 11. I then purchased the upgrade to Pro in the Microsoft Store.The Arm version of Windows 11 Pro had some software incompatibilities, so I returned the M1 MacBook...
  4. Reinstall windows 10 pro digital license Error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall windows 10 pro digital license Error: This is the second time and it seems microsoft does not link my info that I upgraded windows 10 pro from microsoft store. I went through the activate process again but not luck this time.Can anyone help please?Thanks...
  5. Reinstall windows 10 pro digital license Error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall windows 10 pro digital license Error: This is the second time and it seems microsoft does not link my info that I upgraded windows 10 pro from microsoft store. I went through the activate process again but not luck this time.Can anyone help please?Thanks...
  6. Reinstall windows 10 pro digital license Error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Digital License & Reinstallation

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital License & Reinstallation: I recently bought a new PC that came preinstalled with Windows 10. Under Activation Settings it reads 'Windows is activated with a digital license'. Considering the message below, will I still be able to re-install Windows if I don't add my Microsoft account? I don't have a...
  8. Windows 10 Reinstall with Digital License

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Reinstall with Digital License: submitted by /u/ThisIsMyName23 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hjog49/windows_10_reinstall_with_digital_license/
  9. Reinstalling of windows 10 home digital license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalling of windows 10 home digital license: Can I uninstall windows from my laptop which came with pre installed windows 10 home? I want to install windows again but after some time. Is it possible to do so?...
  10. Reinstall Windows 10 without Digital License

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall Windows 10 without Digital License: Hi, I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 as part of the free upgrade promotion. Unfortuntely I need to reinstall Windows 10 as the operating system has become corrupt. I can get to the command prompt, and the reinstall options, but not load Windows. Can I find my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 digital license reinstall

2. windows 10 digital license how to reinstall

3. digital license dell

4. windows reinstall digitl license,
  5. digital license windows 10 reinstall,
  6. digital license windows 10 dell,
  7. i want to reinstall win 10 with current license k,
  8. reinstall windows 10 with a digital license,
  9. reinstall windows 10 without a license,
  10. windows 10 reinstall digital license,
  11. reinstall pc with digital license,