Windows 10: Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate

Discus and support Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have an older laptop that we used to use for basic things. Replaced it and it's been sitting. Grandkids wanted to use it so cleaned everything off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GracieAllen, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate

I have an older laptop that we used to use for basic things. Replaced it and it's been sitting. Grandkids wanted to use it so cleaned everything off and reinstalled the O/S. It keeps saying Windows is not activated...

Originally Windows 7 Home. When Windows 10 came out (sometime in 2015 or 2016) I did all the stuff to create an ISO for installations and used the generic keys provided to install Windows 10 Home on this laptop. I actually upgraded all 3 PCs using the same ISO and key. This was when there was no charge for the upgrade.
    Everything worked fine.

Today, I put a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home on the laptop, then did the upgrade to Windows 10, and put in
    TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99 for the activation. It accepted it and installed the upgrade.

When I checked later it said it WASN'T activated and when I retry the activation code it says it's not valid with an error 0x803f7001.

I've not had a problem previously when I had to reinstall the O/S. Did MS deactivate the "generic codes" or are
    they actually NOT generic?

:)

GracieAllen, Dec 6, 2018

2. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Dec 6, 2018
  3. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Your ild keys should work but if you registered the key to your online ms persona (email address) it should be tied to your account , install without a key login with your credentials , then activate.

theoneandonlymrk, Dec 6, 2018
  4. tops Win User

Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate

Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

tops, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate

1. Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate - Similar Threads - Reinstall old laptop

2. Windows 11 Activation with old windows 10 key After Reinstallation of OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Activation with old windows 10 key After Reinstallation of OS: hello, i recently had to reinstall windows due to some corrupted files, and I had upgraded to windows 11 for free from windows 10. my product key for windows 10 is apparently not good enough for my windows to be considered activated, and i am now getting an error code of...
  3. Windows 11 Activation with old windows 10 key After Reinstallation of OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Activation with old windows 10 key After Reinstallation of OS: hello, i recently had to reinstall windows due to some corrupted files, and I had upgraded to windows 11 for free from windows 10. my product key for windows 10 is apparently not good enough for my windows to be considered activated, and i am now getting an error code of...
  4. Laptop not activating after reinstalling Windows

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Laptop not activating after reinstalling Windows: I recently reinstalled Windows on my Laptop and Windows wont activate since then. I am signed into my Microsoft account, but the Account is a Local Account. Is there a simple way to retrieve the Code of my digital license and enter it to activate my Windows?...
  5. Windows Activation on my old laptop

Windows Activation on my old laptop: Hello! So here's my problem. In 2017, my mom bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Installed. After a year, that new laptop was broken due to spilled water. So I bought myself an SSD enclosure and saved the files, in which, it has Windows 10 Installed. April 5, 2020, I have...
  6. Activating Windows on Old School Laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activating Windows on Old School Laptop: how on earth do you activate windows on an old school laptop? right now im using windows non genuine 10 version. i dont have my product key because i didnt purchase it from anyone, i used it at school and never took it back, so nowhere on the PC shows its product key either....
  7. Activate windows in a laptop after reinstallation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Activate windows in a laptop after reinstallation: HI, I have a Lenovo laptop with win10. Windows came already activated, but in Win8 version. A year ago it ungraded to win10. Using Lenovo recovery tool I managed to reinstall windows because it was running slow. However, recovery tool installed win8. A problem: I can not...
  8. Windows 10 Home - Activation on an old laptop

Windows 10 Home - Activation on an old laptop: Hello, I have just installed a fresh, clean install of Windows 10 Home on an old laptop which formerly ran Windows Vista. As this was my first time doing this on an old machine and I did not know if it would work or run properly on the old machine, I did the installation...
  9. Activating a reinstalled Windows 10

Activating a reinstalled Windows 10: I already followed the steps mentioned in the link https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12440/windows-10-activate & nothing changed. I get the error code 0x87e10bc6 & when I press: go to Microsoft store, the store doesn't open. Please note that I reinstalled my free...
  10. Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate

in Windows 10 Support
    Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate: I have an older laptop that we used to use for basic things. Replaced it and it's been sitting. Grandkids wanted to use it so cleaned everything off and reinstalled the O/S. It keeps saying Windows is not activated... Originally Windows 7 Home. When Windows 10 came out...