Windows 10: Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate

Discus and support Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have an older laptop that we used to use for basic things. Replaced it and it's been sitting. Grandkids wanted to use it so cleaned everything off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GracieAllen, Dec 6, 2018 at 5:32 PM.

1. Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate

I have an older laptop that we used to use for basic things. Replaced it and it's been sitting. Grandkids wanted to use it so cleaned everything off and reinstalled the O/S. It keeps saying Windows is not activated...

Originally Windows 7 Home. When Windows 10 came out (sometime in 2015 or 2016) I did all the stuff to create an ISO for installations and used the generic keys provided to install Windows 10 Home on this laptop. I actually upgraded all 3 PCs using the same ISO and key. This was when there was no charge for the upgrade.
    Everything worked fine.

Today, I put a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home on the laptop, then did the upgrade to Windows 10, and put in
    TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99 for the activation. It accepted it and installed the upgrade.

When I checked later it said it WASN'T activated and when I retry the activation code it says it's not valid with an error 0x803f7001.

I've not had a problem previously when I had to reinstall the O/S. Did MS deactivate the "generic codes" or are
    they actually NOT generic?

:)

GracieAllen, Dec 6, 2018 at 5:32 PM

2. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

3. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Your ild keys should work but if you registered the key to your online ms persona (email address) it should be tied to your account , install without a key login with your credentials , then activate.

theoneandonlymrk, Dec 6, 2018 at 5:34 PM
  4. tops Win User

Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate

Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

Thema:

Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate

1. Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate - Similar Threads - Reinstall old laptop

2. Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate

in Windows 10 Support
    Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate: I have an older laptop that we used to use for basic things. Replaced it and it's been sitting. Grandkids wanted to use it so cleaned everything off and reinstalled the O/S. It keeps saying Windows is not activated... Originally Windows 7 Home. When Windows 10 came out...
  3. Reinstall not activating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstall not activating: I have a machine I use for a lot of playing around. I reinstalled Windows 10 and it will not reactivate. I have no idea what the original hardware configuration was when it was first activated, but I did log in using my Windows ID, as well as take photos of the previous...
  4. Windows 10 won't activate after reinstall and sees hardware from a different computer

Windows 10 won't activate after reinstall and sees hardware from a different computer: I installed Windows 10 on my laptop when it was free and my Microsoft account was linked to it. I am currently trying to reactivate on that same machine but it is registered to a desktop that I recently signed into and now my Microsoft account is linked to that PC. I never...
  5. reinstall win 10 in an old laptop from Win7 home premium

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reinstall win 10 in an old laptop from Win7 home premium: I have an old laptop, initially bought with win 7 home premium. I updated to Win 10 and run for a long time. I had a somehow a malfunction on the SSD that made the win10 to crash. I didn't have a restore point or a backup made. Please help reinstall the windows. Thank...
  6. Windows 10 reinstallation on a laptop shipped with Windows

Windows 10 reinstallation on a laptop shipped with Windows: Hello! Is is possible to make a clean reinstall (suppose I want to completely wipe out my hard drive and then perform installation) of Windows on a laptop from downloaded ISO and use licence key which was provided with laptop for pre-installed Windows to activate that...
  7. Activation with old key?

Activation with old key?: So, I had Win 8.1 retail on my machine, updated it to W10. Now I swapped the mobo and trying to activate W10 again. It won't accept my old serial...is there a way to activate it? I thought retail (not OEM) versions could be transferred to a new build as long as they are...
  8. Windows 10 Pro Won't Activate

Windows 10 Pro Won't Activate: Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site and this is my first post. It looks like a great site. My PC was running Windows 7 Ultimate and I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10. Unfortunately, my PC was in a perpetual "Reboot to finish installing updates" state, so I was unable to...
  9. Windows 10 installation on old laptops

Windows 10 installation on old laptops: Hi guys, I have two laptops wanted to upgrade to windows 10, so one of them is u41sv ASUS laptop, according to Microsoft get Windows 10 on the desktop taskbar, it can be upgrade, I talk to the ASUS support, and they told me that Windows 7 drivers do not work on Windows 10 and...
  10. Reinstall/Activation

Reinstall/Activation: Before i say "Go for it", did you try to reboot in "safe mode"? Can you safe any data he has downloaded previously? Did you try to find any thread here with a similar situation like yours? If you try all that i ask, and if you are sure that it will work, then nothing is...