Windows 10: Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate

Discus and support Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an older laptop that we used to use for basic things. Replaced it and it's been sitting. Grandkids wanted to use it so cleaned everything off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GracieAllen, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate

I have an older laptop that we used to use for basic things. Replaced it and it's been sitting. Grandkids wanted to use it so cleaned everything off and reinstalled the O/S. It keeps saying Windows is not activated...

Originally Windows 7 Home. When Windows 10 came out (sometime in 2015 or 2016) I did all the stuff to create an ISO for installations and used the generic keys provided to install Windows 10 Home on this laptop. I actually upgraded all 3 PCs using the same ISO and key. This was when there was no charge for the upgrade.
    Everything worked fine.

Today, I put a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home on the laptop, then did the upgrade to Windows 10, and put in
    TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99 for the activation. It accepted it and installed the upgrade.

When I checked later it said it WASN'T activated and when I retry the activation code it says it's not valid with an error 0x803f7001.

I've not had a problem previously when I had to reinstall the O/S. Did MS deactivate the "generic codes" or are
    they actually NOT generic?

:)

GracieAllen, Dec 6, 2018
  2. tops Win User

Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

tops, Dec 6, 2018
  3. MrGenius Win User
    [Solved] Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

I noticed quite some time ago that KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) kept reinstalling itself for some reason. At least once daily. Sometimes up to several times a day. I just ignored it. It didn't seem to be doing any harm. And I figured they'd eventually fix it. Well...days turned into weeks, weeks into months, with no end to the problem in sight. It dragged on unsolved for at least the last few months. Literally reinstalling itself hundreds of(at least a hundred, felt like more) times in that period of time.

So I finally googled it a couple days ago. And just got around to fixing it today. Which appears to have worked. And it couldn't have been easier to do. I feel so stupid to have let it intimidate me for so long.*Oops! Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate :oops:
    Below are links to the thread that I got the fix idea from, and the official MS support info page for KB3119142(from which I quoted the above).
    http://www.tenforums.com/windows-up...-windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-kb3119142.html
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3119142

MrGenius, Dec 6, 2018
  4. Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate

cortana won`t talk to me

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It's unfortunate that you are facing this issue. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• Check and verify if Cortana is activated?
    • Does Cortana search and gives any output/result on screen?
    • Is the Language and region settings set to valid value?
    • Check and verify if Cortana available in your region?
    Method 1:

I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check if she talks. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.
    • Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.
    • Go to Settings and click on off.
    • Follow the same steps to turn it on.
    • Check if issue persists.
    I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Cortana & search

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/cortana-search

Hope this information helps, let us know the status of the issue

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate

1. Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate - Similar Threads - Reinstall oldlaptop won't

2. windows 10 reinstalling and activating

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    windows 10 reinstalling and activating: my windows 10 reinstalling and activation is not working . I have already installed but it was not activated and it is showing some error code ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-reinstalling-and-activating/b082ec7b-3332-434c-b0e9-1a02791c8a2f
  3. Minecraft Windows 10 won't reinstall.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Minecraft Windows 10 won't reinstall.: I bought Minecraft Windows 10 in July and played it just fine but I uninstalled it because I couldn't update the game and now it can't reinstall it. The install button is grayed out and when I try to download it from my library it says Error, couldn't install on this device,...
  4. Reinstalled Windows 10 Activation

Reinstalled Windows 10 Activation: I had a windows 10 which was freely upgraded from Windows 7 some years ago. Because of some freezes and crashes happened daily I decided to reinstall it. Depend on my surfs on the Microsoft website and Microsoft support suggestions, I assigned and linked my email address to...
  5. Minecraft for Windows 10 Won't Reinstall

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Minecraft for Windows 10 Won't Reinstall: I was going to uninstall Minecraft for Windows 10 because I was having loading issues. When I restarted my computer and tried to reinstall Minecraft for Windows 10 but It wouldn't do anything! When I try to click "Install" it shows a white border around the button signifying...
  6. Windows 10 won't activate

Windows 10 won't activate: I bought a refurb HP AIO desktop for my granddaughter. When it was booted up, it said Windows needed to be activated. The key from the sticker on the chassis is invalid. At first, the message was it was not a valid key for Win10 Home, and is a Pro key. We tried doing the...
  7. Activating a reinstalled Windows 10

Activating a reinstalled Windows 10: I already followed the steps mentioned in the link https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12440/windows-10-activate & nothing changed. I get the error code 0x87e10bc6 & when I press: go to Microsoft store, the store doesn't open. Please note that I reinstalled my free...
  8. Windows 10 won't activate

Windows 10 won't activate: I just got a new motherboard in the mail and swapped it out for my old one. Now when I boot up my PC it tells me I need to activate windows in the bottom corner. I bought a prebuilt PC from BestBuy with windows 10 already installed (not upgrade to) and never needed nor never...
  9. Windows 10 won't activate.

Windows 10 won't activate.: When I go to activation it says I currently have Windows 10 Pro, I purchased multiple parts for a computer and built it myself, then I purchased windows 10 home and it won't allow me to activate it due to the previous version not being activated, Error code: 0x803F7001 I...
  10. Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate

Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate: I have an older laptop that we used to use for basic things. Replaced it and it's been sitting. Grandkids wanted to use it so cleaned everything off and reinstalled the O/S. It keeps saying Windows is not activated... Originally Windows 7 Home. When Windows 10 came out...