Windows 10: Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate

Discus and support Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have an older laptop that we used to use for basic things. Replaced it and it's been sitting. Grandkids wanted to use it so cleaned everything off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GracieAllen, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:32 PM.

1. Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate

I have an older laptop that we used to use for basic things. Replaced it and it's been sitting. Grandkids wanted to use it so cleaned everything off and reinstalled the O/S. It keeps saying Windows is not activated...

Originally Windows 7 Home. When Windows 10 came out (sometime in 2015 or 2016) I did all the stuff to create an ISO for installations and used the generic keys provided to install Windows 10 Home on this laptop. I actually upgraded all 3 PCs using the same ISO and key. This was when there was no charge for the upgrade.
    Everything worked fine.

Today, I put a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home on the laptop, then did the upgrade to Windows 10, and put in
    TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99 for the activation. It accepted it and installed the upgrade.

When I checked later it said it WASN'T activated and when I retry the activation code it says it's not valid with an error 0x803f7001.

I've not had a problem previously when I had to reinstall the O/S. Did MS deactivate the "generic codes" or are
    they actually NOT generic?

:)

GracieAllen, Dec 6, 2018 at 4:32 PM
  2. tops Win User

Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

3. MrGenius Win User
    [Solved] Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

I noticed quite some time ago that KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) kept reinstalling itself for some reason. At least once daily. Sometimes up to several times a day. I just ignored it. It didn't seem to be doing any harm. And I figured they'd eventually fix it. Well...days turned into weeks, weeks into months, with no end to the problem in sight. It dragged on unsolved for at least the last few months. Literally reinstalling itself hundreds of(at least a hundred, felt like more) times in that period of time.

So I finally googled it a couple days ago. And just got around to fixing it today. Which appears to have worked. And it couldn't have been easier to do. I feel so stupid to have let it intimidate me for so long.*Oops! Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate :oops:
    Below are links to the thread that I got the fix idea from, and the official MS support info page for KB3119142(from which I quoted the above).
    http://www.tenforums.com/windows-up...-windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-kb3119142.html
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3119142

4. Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate

cortana won`t talk to me

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It's unfortunate that you are facing this issue. Let me assist you to resolve the issue.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• Check and verify if Cortana is activated?
    • Does Cortana search and gives any output/result on screen?
    • Is the Language and region settings set to valid value?
    • Check and verify if Cortana available in your region?
    Method 1:

I suggest you to try to turn Cortana off and then try turning it on back and check if she talks. Refer to the steps below to turn Off and On Cortana:

• Open Cortana.
    • Click the hamburger button in the top left of the window.
    • Go to Settings and click on off.
    • Follow the same steps to turn it on.
    • Check if issue persists.
    I would suggest you to refer to the article given below and check if that helps.

Cortana & search

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/cortana-search

Hope this information helps, let us know the status of the issue

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Dec 6, 2018 at 5:32 PM
Thema:

Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate

1. Reinstall Windows 10 on oldlaptop - won't activate - Similar Threads - Reinstall oldlaptop won't

2. Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstall Windows 10 on old laptop - won't activate: I have an older laptop that we used to use for basic things. Replaced it and it's been sitting. Grandkids wanted to use it so cleaned everything off and reinstalled the O/S. It keeps saying Windows is not activated... Originally Windows 7 Home. When Windows 10 came out...
  3. Windows Activation Won't Work

Windows Activation Won't Work: Basically my motherboard's BIOS corrupted and died to the point where it wouldn't post or show me the BIOS splash screen and it was beyond repair so I had to replace the motherboard. I have now done that and now that I have booted into Windows again I need to activate it...
  4. Windows 10 Pro activation won't work.

Windows 10 Pro activation won't work.: When i try troubleshooter to activate the windows i keep getting this error that you can see in the screenshot below: - https://imgur.com/a/5TrttdO https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pro-activation-wont-work/e9199de2-28c4-4b06-baa6-a794ad14c477"
  5. Reinstall not activating

Reinstall not activating: I have a machine I use for a lot of playing around. I reinstalled Windows 10 and it will not reactivate. I have no idea what the original hardware configuration was when it was first activated, but I did log in using my Windows ID, as well as take photos of the previous...
  6. Windows 10 won't activate after reinstall and sees hardware from a different computer

Windows 10 won't activate after reinstall and sees hardware from a different computer: I installed Windows 10 on my laptop when it was free and my Microsoft account was linked to it. I am currently trying to reactivate on that same machine but it is registered to a desktop that I recently signed into and now my Microsoft account is linked to that PC. I never...
  7. Windows 10 Pro Won't Activate

Windows 10 Pro Won't Activate: Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site and this is my first post. It looks like a great site. My PC was running Windows 7 Ultimate and I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10. Unfortunately, my PC was in a perpetual "Reboot to finish installing updates" state, so I was unable to...
  8. Won't activate Windows 10, but will activate Windows 7, same key.

Won't activate Windows 10, but will activate Windows 7, same key.: I clean installed Windows 10 Pro x64 in VMware and used a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 key to try to active it. No go. However, Installing windows 7 Ultimate x64 in hyper-v, the same key activates win 7. Any ideas? 29249
  9. Windows 10 Home N won't activate

Windows 10 Home N won't activate: OK never mind, I just reinstalled Windows selecting the correct version and it was automatically activated. Now I'm in for another day of tweaking and reinstalling all programs *Wink Thanks.
  10. Reinstall/Activation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall/Activation: Before i say "Go for it", did you try to reboot in "safe mode"? Can you safe any data he has downloaded previously? Did you try to find any thread here with a similar situation like yours? If you try all that i ask, and if you are sure that it will work, then nothing is...