Windows 10: Reinstall Windows 10 while keeping data and applications

Discus and support Reinstall Windows 10 while keeping data and applications in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I’ve been following this article https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall to try and resolve some underlying issues that i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bernard46, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Bernard46 Win User

Reinstall Windows 10 while keeping data and applications

I’ve been following this article https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4000735/windows-10-reinstall to try and resolve some underlying issues that i believe are present in my Windows 10 Home system. The article says there is a way to ‘recover’ a Windows 10 system after the 1903 version and still retain ones data and very importantly ones installed applications - this has been a long desired feature for Windows users, so i was thrilled to find it. However my experience has been someone less thrilling.

It seems that whenever one follows one of these articles to recover Windows 10 the proces is always a bit more tricky than one would expect - for instance the process rarely tells you when to remove the removeable media that containing the latest Windows 10 system from the machine and also when it has finished, either successfully or unsuccessfully.

On this ocassion I installed the USB device cotaining a 2004 edition the only one i can get and i started the process. All seemed to go well for a while and the system rebooted at least once and then started applying the update with a % figure increasing constantly and then it rebooted without reaching 100%. There was no error message nor any message proclaiming success. Had the recovery been completed or not - I don’t think so because when i look in System to get the level of the system it still says 1903.

Does anyone know how I can check what has happened - was it only supposed to recover to the 1903 level, despite me using a 2004 version or did it fail, and if so how can i find out why.

The process sounded just what millions of people have wanted for many years but its no good if it doesn’t work!

:)

Bernard46, Jul 11, 2020
  2. MrGenius Win User

[Solved] Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

I noticed quite some time ago that KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) kept reinstalling itself for some reason. At least once daily. Sometimes up to several times a day. I just ignored it. It didn't seem to be doing any harm. And I figured they'd eventually fix it. Well...days turned into weeks, weeks into months, with no end to the problem in sight. It dragged on unsolved for at least the last few months. Literally reinstalling itself hundreds of(at least a hundred, felt like more) times in that period of time.

So I finally googled it a couple days ago. And just got around to fixing it today. Which appears to have worked. And it couldn't have been easier to do. I feel so stupid to have let it intimidate me for so long.*Oops! Reinstall Windows 10 while keeping data and applications :oops:
    Below are links to the thread that I got the fix idea from, and the official MS support info page for KB3119142(from which I quoted the above).
    http://www.tenforums.com/windows-up...-windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-kb3119142.html
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3119142

MrGenius, Jul 11, 2020
  3. Kursah Win User
    Most painless way to reinstall windows 10?

It depends on the junk accumulated honestly, but there are various methods. You can always remove programs, delete download folder, media locations, etc. As some have suggested, keeping some items on a separate internal storage drive is an option as well. Depends on what you have, what your budget is and how you want to handle your system and data.

The method @RejZoR suggests is sound and a method I've used dozens if not hundreds of time with great success in the field. In many cases though the goal is to keep user data intact, and to repair the OS. In place upgrade as it is called is also only doable in that method if you can boot to desktop, if you can't, it is time for some more advanced options or a format & reinstall.

With Windows 8 and 10 there are refresh and reset options that can be leveraged as well. Hold Shift and click Restart to reboot your system, this will get you into the advanced boot menu, which you'll need to choose advanced options (I forget ATM what it is called) and choose one of a couple items, refresh or reset.

Refresh is essentially In Place Upgrade but a little more aggressive as it wipes the Windows Apps and you may need to reinstall programs. Reset is like an OS reinstall, wipes user data, wipes profiles, registry, performs a install from the system image. Often times I'll do this and bypass using a USB key on a system. Though there are instances where these options will not work if a system has a level of corruption that has not been repaired/resolved. Check the OS Repair link in my sig for more info if ya need.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Jul 11, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Reinstall Windows 10 while keeping data and applications - Similar Threads - Reinstall while keeping

2. Clean install while keeping data and apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clean install while keeping data and apps: 1 I have some things I don't like with my installation of Windows 11 Pro things like: restore points not working, DISM not working, etc.2 I have tried a reinstall but the option to keep apps, data etc doesn't seem to work3 I have another SSD in my machine that I could use to...
  3. Clean install while keeping data and apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clean install while keeping data and apps: 1 I have some things I don't like with my installation of Windows 11 Pro things like: restore points not working, DISM not working, etc.2 I have tried a reinstall but the option to keep apps, data etc doesn't seem to work3 I have another SSD in my machine that I could use to...
  4. Change Account while keeping data and files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Account while keeping data and files: I am currently using my parents Microsoft account for my pc but I would like to change that to my Microsoft account. I have not been able to find a way to change the two accounts without losing data. For windows 11...
  5. Change Account while keeping data and files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Account while keeping data and files: I am currently using my parents Microsoft account for my pc but I would like to change that to my Microsoft account. I have not been able to find a way to change the two accounts without losing data. For windows 11...
  6. How do you reinstall Windows 10 and keep data, apps, and programs.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you reinstall Windows 10 and keep data, apps, and programs.: If the answer is posted somewhere please share the link that has worked. I had to move my hard drive to a temporary computer and now it won't boot into Windows. This computer and hard drive worked just fine. Now the computer I moved it to keeps trying to do an automatic...
  7. Problem while reinstalling Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Problem while reinstalling Windows 10: Hey community, ToDay, i tried to uninstall my Windows 10 Home from a PC, and reinstall it to my newest laptop. Everything went as planned with the deactivation of the Windows 10 Key on the old pc, I did it with the Command prompt. But when i try to take the license key,...
  8. Windows 10 Application and data Backup

Windows 10 Application and data Backup: I would like to back up my data and applications on windows 10 computer, then reinstall windows 10 operating system clean(Latest version). Can I use the back up and restore applet from win 10? TO back up applications and data then reinstall on same hardware, new OS? Thanks...
  9. Saving data while reinstalling

Saving data while reinstalling: I had a power surge during a Strom last night . Now my computer is stuck in an automatic repair loop. I can't get to the desktop. I tried doing system restore, it failed. I don't have an image to use. System reset failed. I can get to cmd but all of the things I can...
  10. Problems reinstalling windows keeping existing data Win10

Problems reinstalling windows keeping existing data Win10: I attempted to reinstall Windows with the option to keep the existing setup, but that choice didn't really work Here's what happened: A problem occurred during a Windows update, and I received an error message. Windows attempted to repair the problem, but was not...