Windows 10: Reinstall Windows 10 with OEM key

Discus and support Reinstall Windows 10 with OEM key in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I am switching my Windows laptop to Linux, but I want to keep the possibility to revert to windows if I ever have the need to. Is it possible to save... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LolipopAngel, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Reinstall Windows 10 with OEM key

I am switching my Windows laptop to Linux, but I want to keep the possibility to revert to windows if I ever have the need to. Is it possible to save only the OEM key and reinstall the OS and have it properly activated? Do I need to keep an .iso image of the system?

submitted by /u/LolipopAngel
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LolipopAngel, Jun 25, 2020
  2. rtwjunkie Win User

my windows 10 oem didn't come with a product key

Dude, go to Newegg right now and read the questions and answers tab on Windows 10 OEM. The OEM copies that are listed there DO in fact, come on an optical disc. The flash drive ONLY comes on Retail copies.

rtwjunkie, Jun 25, 2020
  3. taz420nj Win User

LOL yes they do. Legit OEM copies DO come with a key - on a sticker that you affix to the case. OEM and SLP (System Locked Preactivation) are NOT the same thing. SLP is what large OEMs like Dell, HP, etc do, where every system came out of the factory activated with the same "Manufacturer's Master" key in XP, Vista, and 7. Reinstalling with the factory image preserves this activation. However if you dig that key out with Magical Jellybean and try to do a clean install with it, activation will fail. That's why every machine that came out of a factory ALSO had a COA with a unique key. That is what you need to use for a clean install. Starting with 8, large OEMs began embedding the unique key into the BIOS, which is why they no longer come with a unique key sticker. However, you can still buy legit OEM versions of every version (the ones that small shops would use for their custom machines) - including 10 - which come with the sticker with a unique key.

The only differences between OEM and Retail versions is that the OEM version locks to the first motherboard it is activated on, while Retail can be moved to a different one. OEM also come with no support.

taz420nj, Jun 25, 2020
  4. OneMoar Win User

Reinstall Windows 10 with OEM key

indeed OEM's have embedded keys a OEM upgrade is for machines with OEM copies and DO NOT COME WITH A KEY! sadly many vendors confuse the two because pre-windows 10 'OEM" came with a key
    a end user should always buy a Retail OR "System builder OEM" copy when it comes to windows 10 system builder is not `OEM` you can blame microsoft for the retarded terminology screw up

it sounds like the op bought a pirated copy with no key microsoft does not ship windows 10 on optical disks .... they use flash drives

OneMoar, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

Reinstall Windows 10 with OEM key

1. Reinstall Windows 10 with OEM key - Similar Threads - Reinstall OEM key

2. Reinstalling Windows 11 with the help of Windows 10 OEM Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstalling Windows 11 with the help of Windows 10 OEM Product Key: Right now, I have a Laptop, which had Windows 10 when I bought it. Due to my understanding, I installed Windows 11 Insiders Preview, and after Updates, I had realise that i can't go back to the Public Windows 11. So I had only one choice, to reinstall Windows 11.Now here is...
  3. Reinstalling Windows 11 with the help of Windows 10 OEM Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstalling Windows 11 with the help of Windows 10 OEM Product Key: Right now, I have a Laptop, which had Windows 10 when I bought it. Due to my understanding, I installed Windows 11 Insiders Preview, and after Updates, I had realise that i can't go back to the Public Windows 11. So I had only one choice, to reinstall Windows 11.Now here is...
  4. Windows 10 OEM KEYS

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 OEM KEYS: I bought windows 10 OEM key. Also, it enabled Windows 10, OEM keys official? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-oem-keys/5b87cf87-aa84-40c5-97bc-8de78d3932f0
  5. Windows 10 OEM KEYS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 OEM KEYS: I bought windows 10 OEM key. Also, it enabled Windows 10, OEM keys official? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-oem-keys/5b87cf87-aa84-40c5-97bc-8de78d3932f0
  6. Windows 10 OEM KEYS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Oem Windows 10 Pro Keys and Reinstall PC.

Oem Windows 10 Pro Keys and Reinstall PC.: I bought an oem windows 10 pro key on GoodOffer24. And I have some issue with forza horizon 4 So I must reinstall my PC. Do I need buy new an oem key after reinstall or my key will still work? I read on some forums and microsoft questions, somebody said oem keys written on...
  8. Reinstall Win10 with old OEM key.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall Win10 with old OEM key.: My windows 10 has been acting funny for a while, its running on an ssd but still feels sluggish. I'm hoping a fresh windows install and drivers will help it feel brand new again. My question is, can I use my current key again? I have an OEM key which has been activated. Is...
  9. Cannot activate reinstalled Windows with OEM key

Cannot activate reinstalled Windows with OEM key: I've reinstalled my Windows 10 Home edition because it was Chinese and I wanted English. Turned out my key was a single-language Chinese key so I've downloaded the Chinese installer to reinstall the original system and activate it so that I can at least have a working...
  10. Windows 10 OEM key

Windows 10 OEM key: I have bought a notebook with preinstalled Windows 10 Home Single Language OEM. Can a Windows 10 Home (without "Single Language") activated with that OEM key? Sorry for my bad english Thanks...