Windows 10: reinstall windows 8.1 then upgrade to windows 10

Discus and support reinstall windows 8.1 then upgrade to windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I originally purchased windows 8.1 few years ago and then subsequently got free upgraded to windows 10. Recently, the computer went hay wire and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ThomasNg2, Feb 25, 2019.

1. ThomasNg2 Win User

reinstall windows 8.1 then upgrade to windows 10

I originally purchased windows 8.1 few years ago and then subsequently got free upgraded to windows 10. Recently, the computer went hay wire and cannot be booted up. I am planning to build a brand new computer. Should I use my original windows 8.1 to install to the new computer and then still get free upgrade to windows 10? Or what should I do in order to install the windows 10 back? Can I simply put the old HD to the new computer?

:)

ThomasNg2, Feb 25, 2019

2. How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Feb 25, 2019
  3. pigulici Win User
    How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Yes, still work, no need to call, just be sure to have internet access when you start to install 10, I work at pc shop and did this few days ago, used a key of 7 to put clean 10(wasn't used for upgrade).

pigulici, Feb 25, 2019
  4. reinstall windows 8.1 then upgrade to windows 10

How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Your ild keys should work but if you registered the key to your online ms persona (email address) it should be tied to your account , install without a key login with your credentials , then activate.

theoneandonlymrk, Feb 25, 2019
Thema:

reinstall windows 8.1 then upgrade to windows 10

1. reinstall windows 8.1 then upgrade to windows 10 - Similar Threads - reinstall upgrade

2. When upgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 11 Pro, will I need to reinstall my programs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When upgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 11 Pro, will I need to reinstall my programs?: When upgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 11 Pro, will I need to reinstall my programs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-upgrading-from-windows-11-to-windows-11-pro/7e5205aa-c833-4fe3-a08b-753beeefa1f1
  3. When upgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 11 Pro, will I need to reinstall my programs?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When upgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 11 Pro, will I need to reinstall my programs?: When upgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 11 Pro, will I need to reinstall my programs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-upgrading-from-windows-11-to-windows-11-pro/7e5205aa-c833-4fe3-a08b-753beeefa1f1
  4. I recently reinstalled windows. ! was running and purchase Windows 10!11 Pro upgrade.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I recently reinstalled windows. ! was running and purchase Windows 10!11 Pro upgrade.: I recently reinstalled windows, it is now Windows 11 home edition.. ! was running and purchase Windows 10 / 11 Pro upgrade. How do we remedy this? My order is visible in Microsoft accounts....
  5. I recently reinstalled windows. ! was running and purchase Windows 10!11 Pro upgrade.

I recently reinstalled windows. ! was running and purchase Windows 10!11 Pro upgrade.: I recently reinstalled windows, it is now Windows 11 home edition.. ! was running and purchase Windows 10 / 11 Pro upgrade. How do we remedy this? My order is visible in Microsoft accounts....
  6. purchased win11pro upgrade license in 2020 and now need to reinstall - trying to get key...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    purchased win11pro upgrade license in 2020 and now need to reinstall - trying to get key...: purchased win11pro upgrade license in 2020 and now need to reinstall - trying to get key and invoice is unavailable to see key - how do I get the key to reinstall on new hard drive....
  7. purchased win11pro upgrade license in 2020 and now need to reinstall - trying to get key...

purchased win11pro upgrade license in 2020 and now need to reinstall - trying to get key...: purchased win11pro upgrade license in 2020 and now need to reinstall - trying to get key and invoice is unavailable to see key - how do I get the key to reinstall on new hard drive....
  8. Upgrading SSD and reinstalling windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading SSD and reinstalling windows 11.: I recently purchased a refurbished Dell OptiPlex 7020 with a 3.6ghz Intel i7-4790 and 32gb RAM. It has Windows 11 pro installed ona 500gb SSD. I'm trying to upgrade the SSD to a 2TB SSD. I've created a USB disk with Windows on it, but when I try to boot up the PC, the...
  9. Upgrading SSD and reinstalling windows 11.

Upgrading SSD and reinstalling windows 11.: I recently purchased a refurbished Dell OptiPlex 7020 with a 3.6ghz Intel i7-4790 and 32gb RAM. It has Windows 11 pro installed ona 500gb SSD. I'm trying to upgrade the SSD to a 2TB SSD. I've created a USB disk with Windows on it, but when I try to boot up the PC, the...
  10. Upgrading cpu, motherboard and ram, do i need to reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading cpu, motherboard and ram, do i need to reinstall windows?: Hello i am using i5 3gen with h61 motherboard and i am upgrading with i5 11 gen with new motherboard and ram and im gona use my old ssd so do i need to reintall windows or just driver update gona work...