Windows 10: Reinstall Windows 8 after 10 upgrade

Discus and support Reinstall Windows 8 after 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am trying to remember.. After a machine has been upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8, let us say a year later, will the license key allow you to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Trust_No1, May 17, 2017.

1. Trust_No1 Win User

Reinstall Windows 8 after 10 upgrade

I am trying to remember..

After a machine has been upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8, let us say a year later, will the license key allow you to download, create a Windows 8 iso and reinstall that. Someone has a Surface Pro 2 (I think thats what it is) that was upgraded to 10 and I am just curious if it can still be rolled back.

During the upgrade is the license key changed? or is it still the Windows 8 key, I just can't remember how all of that goes.

thanks

:)

Trust_No1, May 17, 2017
  2. 313230 Win User

Reinstall windows 10 after upgrading from windows 8?

Microsoft said windows 10 is free to upgrade from windows 8 in one year after 1st Aug 2015. So I have a few questions:

1. Does that mean windows 8 user owns that windows 10 copy like normal user who purchases windows 10?

2. If yes, then can windows 8 user reinstall windows 10 directly after that? For example, each time user want to reinstall windows 10, user must reinstall windows 8 first then upgrade it to windows 10, or user can reinstall windows 10 directly after upgrade
    from windows 8?

3. What if user want to reinstall windows 10 after one year from 1st Aug 2015?

Thanks

313230, May 17, 2017
  3. Erdeslawe Win User
    Reinstallation Upgrade to Windows 10

Is there some confusion here? You can't upgrade from 8 to 10 : '8' isn't a qualifying version for the 'free' Windows 10 Upgrade.

After reinstalling Windows 8, you have to do the free upgrade to 8.1 first, then install all required Windows 8.1 Updates, then you qualify for the 'free' Upgrade to Windows 10.

Erdeslawe, May 17, 2017
  4. AddRAM Win User

AddRAM, May 17, 2017
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Microsoft surface products should have embedded keys.

Otherwise, Windows 8 product key may be embedded if the OEM installed Windows 8 came from one of the larger PC manufacturers. Small PC assemblers and DIY built PCs with Windows 8, and PCs that have been upgraded to Windows 8 may or will not have an embedded Key.

ShowKeyPlus - Windows 10 Forums will help to establish if your Windows 8 key is embedded or available from your Windows 10 system. Ask Superfly, the author, if you have difficulties on that forum thread.

Oherwise is there a sticker with a COA OEM product key supplied with the system? Does it refer to Windows 8 or an earlier version?

Fafhrd, May 17, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    COA stickers with product key died out with Windows 7.

cereberus, May 17, 2017
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    Oh, did it? @cereberus

Reinstall Windows 8 after 10 upgrade [​IMG]

Reinstall Windows 8 after 10 upgrade [​IMG]

Fafhrd, May 17, 2017
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Not in all cases. Only when the Windows 8 or 10 is installed by a manufacturer that has the ability to store the product key in BIOS/UEFI. A Microsoft Certified Refurbisher or Reseller won't have the ability to store product keys in UEFI, so they will affix a COA sticker with the product key to the computer. The certified refurbished laptop I just bought for my wife was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 by a certified refurbisher and it had a Windows 10 COA on it with a product key, the first 5 characters of which were covered by the silver scratch-off type material.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reinstall Windows 8 after 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Reinstall upgrade

2. When upgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 11 Pro, will I need to reinstall my programs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When upgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 11 Pro, will I need to reinstall my programs?: When upgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 11 Pro, will I need to reinstall my programs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-upgrading-from-windows-11-to-windows-11-pro/7e5205aa-c833-4fe3-a08b-753beeefa1f1
  3. When upgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 11 Pro, will I need to reinstall my programs?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When upgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 11 Pro, will I need to reinstall my programs?: When upgrading from Windows 11 to Windows 11 Pro, will I need to reinstall my programs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-upgrading-from-windows-11-to-windows-11-pro/7e5205aa-c833-4fe3-a08b-753beeefa1f1
  4. I recently reinstalled windows. ! was running and purchase Windows 10!11 Pro upgrade.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I recently reinstalled windows. ! was running and purchase Windows 10!11 Pro upgrade.: I recently reinstalled windows, it is now Windows 11 home edition.. ! was running and purchase Windows 10 / 11 Pro upgrade. How do we remedy this? My order is visible in Microsoft accounts....
  5. I recently reinstalled windows. ! was running and purchase Windows 10!11 Pro upgrade.

I recently reinstalled windows. ! was running and purchase Windows 10!11 Pro upgrade.: I recently reinstalled windows, it is now Windows 11 home edition.. ! was running and purchase Windows 10 / 11 Pro upgrade. How do we remedy this? My order is visible in Microsoft accounts....
  6. purchased win11pro upgrade license in 2020 and now need to reinstall - trying to get key...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    purchased win11pro upgrade license in 2020 and now need to reinstall - trying to get key...: purchased win11pro upgrade license in 2020 and now need to reinstall - trying to get key and invoice is unavailable to see key - how do I get the key to reinstall on new hard drive....
  7. purchased win11pro upgrade license in 2020 and now need to reinstall - trying to get key...

purchased win11pro upgrade license in 2020 and now need to reinstall - trying to get key...: purchased win11pro upgrade license in 2020 and now need to reinstall - trying to get key and invoice is unavailable to see key - how do I get the key to reinstall on new hard drive....
  8. Upgrading SSD and reinstalling windows 11.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading SSD and reinstalling windows 11.: I recently purchased a refurbished Dell OptiPlex 7020 with a 3.6ghz Intel i7-4790 and 32gb RAM. It has Windows 11 pro installed ona 500gb SSD. I'm trying to upgrade the SSD to a 2TB SSD. I've created a USB disk with Windows on it, but when I try to boot up the PC, the...
  9. Upgrading SSD and reinstalling windows 11.

Upgrading SSD and reinstalling windows 11.: I recently purchased a refurbished Dell OptiPlex 7020 with a 3.6ghz Intel i7-4790 and 32gb RAM. It has Windows 11 pro installed ona 500gb SSD. I'm trying to upgrade the SSD to a 2TB SSD. I've created a USB disk with Windows on it, but when I try to boot up the PC, the...
  10. Upgrading cpu, motherboard and ram, do i need to reinstall windows?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading cpu, motherboard and ram, do i need to reinstall windows?: Hello i am using i5 3gen with h61 motherboard and i am upgrading with i5 11 gen with new motherboard and ram and im gona use my old ssd so do i need to reintall windows or just driver update gona work...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Can I reinstall win 8.1 with product key after upgrading to win 10