Windows 10: Reinstall Windows and activate using current license

Discus and support Reinstall Windows and activate using current license in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi. I am planning to uninstall Windows from my laptop and run Ubuntu exclusively for some time. I would like to know if I can reinstall Windows on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by rohit.mishra, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Reinstall Windows and activate using current license

Hi.

I am planning to uninstall Windows from my laptop and run Ubuntu exclusively for some time.

I would like to know if I can reinstall Windows on the same laptop or another laptop that didn't come with it pre-installed and activate it using my current license that's linked to my Microsoft account.

Thanks.

:)

rohit.mishra, Jun 10, 2019
  2. Andrew Li Win User

How to reinstall and reactivate Windows 10 with an OEM license

Before you continue, I suggest you remove the bloatware by the Control Panel and uninstalling the junk. That is faster and easier, with less potential for problems, but the steps for reinstallation are as follows:

Before you do anything, backup valuable data, if any, on some form of media (i.e. USB) so you can move it onto the reinstalled Windows.

1. Download the appropriate ISO file from Microsoft and burn it to a CD or use it with a bootable USB.
    2. (Optional if you have no internet) Download all the appropriate drivers for your machine and save them on media for later access.
    3. Locate the product key on your machine. It is usually under the laptop on a sticker, and if not, use special software to locate it. This will be used during the reinstallation. Note that PCs sometimes auto-activate if it is in the BIOS so this step is not needed if this is case.
    4. Boot from the bootable media (disc or USB). Continue as usual through the installation, and when the partitions screen comes up, format the current Windows partition and install in there. (The Recovery partition can be deleted, but I recommend keeping it so if anything goes wrong you can restore to factory settings). If the key doesn't work you may need to contact Microsoft and activate over phone.
    5. After installation, install the drivers and run Windows Update and you're done.

Andrew Li, Jun 10, 2019
  3. theking2 Win User
    Reinstall Windows 10; how to keep the current License

I've been insider tester for Windows 10 for about one and a half year now. As a recent update confused my installation in thinking that it was no longer activated and the TwinUI is no longer working properly, I plan to format the SSD and reinstall Windows
    10. I hold a Windows 7 and a Windows 8 licence

What steps do I have to take to install windows 10 properly, without losing the insider license.

JKi

theking2, Jun 10, 2019
  4. Reinstall Windows and activate using current license

License activation issue: Your windows license will expire soon

Windows 10 Activation reports your license will soon expire.

This can happen for a number of reasons:

• You copied a Windows 10 Pro off the Internet (usually a volume license - organization - key) and changed on a Windows 10 Home installation. Windows 10 Pro is not free. If this is what you did, you will need to reinstall the previous edition
      or version you were running. You inadvertently installed the wrong edition.
      • The copy of Windows 10 you download and upgrade from will correspond with the edition of Windows you have installed, if it does not, this is why you might be experiencing problems activating:

• Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core will install Windows 10 Home

• Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro will installWindows 10 Pro

If the edition of Windows 10 installed does not correspond with the edition of Windows 7 or Windows 8 you were previously running, then you need to reinstall the right edition.

Did you purchase the laptop brand new out of the box?

You might want to reinstall Windows 10 Home to resolve the problem.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

Andre Da Costa, Jun 10, 2019
Thema:

Reinstall Windows and activate using current license

1. Reinstall Windows and activate using current license - Similar Threads - Reinstall activate using

2. Activating Windows using Windows Business License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating Windows using Windows Business License: I have assigned the Windows Business Premium License to the Sys Admin 2 account in the admin centre, as can be seen here:I've performed a clean install of Windows Business, with the latest build installed: However, Windows is not detecting this digital license, and continues...
  3. Activating Windows using Windows Business License

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Activating Windows using Windows Business License: I have assigned the Windows Business Premium License to the Sys Admin 2 account in the admin centre, as can be seen here:I've performed a clean install of Windows Business, with the latest build installed: However, Windows is not detecting this digital license, and continues...
  4. Activating Windows using Windows Business License

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows activation with digital license after reinstalling

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows activation with digital license after reinstalling: Hello.I had digital license since Windows 7 and using ever since to Windows 11Windows 7 to 10 to 11. But in since my last reinstall of windows 10seems bit more stable than 11 it’s giving 0xc004f213 error and now it wouldn’t active both on Windows 10 and 11. What does it mean...
  6. Windows activation with digital license after reinstalling

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows activation with digital license after reinstalling: Hello.I had digital license since Windows 7 and using ever since to Windows 11Windows 7 to 10 to 11. But in since my last reinstall of windows 10seems bit more stable than 11 it’s giving 0xc004f213 error and now it wouldn’t active both on Windows 10 and 11. What does it mean...
  7. Reinstall a win10 that uses volume licensing activation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall a win10 that uses volume licensing activation?: I dont suppose you can reinstall the OS, and MS just reactivates using your volume licensing server? That PC does show up in my PC list properly in my MS online account. OR will it? 167955
  8. Windows was "Activated by Digital License" after reinstalling Windows 10

Windows was "Activated by Digital License" after reinstalling Windows 10: I asked the same question awhile ago, but I was not satisfied of my explanation. Here was the situation, few months back, I use an unlicensed version of Windows 10 in my laptop. I was thinking of reverting back to Windows 8.1, hoping that I might use the OEM key of my...
  9. Windows is activated with a Digital License after reinstalling Windows 10

Windows is activated with a Digital License after reinstalling Windows 10: Hi, this kept bothering me if this is legal or not. Awhile ago, I am trying to downgrade to Windows 8.1 because I was trying if the OEM key might work there, but it failed and I have to reinstall Windows 10. After installing it, it shows that it was "activated with a...
  10. Activation errors using digital license.

Activation errors using digital license.: I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 when the free offer was first extended. About a month ago I started receiving an activation error saying my windows 10 is not activated. When clicking on the activate now link the settings window opens and the activation screen is...