Windows 10: Reinstall Windows from Recovery USB without losing files

Discus and support Reinstall Windows from Recovery USB without losing files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop blackscreened, and none of the normal recovery options have worked. So, I decided to try reinstall Windows 10 from a USB drive. However, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by EmmaWestern, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Reinstall Windows from Recovery USB without losing files

My laptop blackscreened, and none of the normal recovery options have worked. So, I decided to try reinstall Windows 10 from a USB drive. However, the Upgrade option which allows me to keep my files does not work; it says I must do this once Windows is booted, which is impossible because of the blackscreen.

I really don't want to lose my files if possible. Is there a way to work around this and reinstall Windows 10 from a USB drive without wiping everything? Thanks.

:)

EmmaWestern, Nov 30, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Windows 10 recovery USB - which size???

Not even that. What creating a recovery drive does (if you select 'include system files') is to construct the files required to clean install Windows. If this is made on an OEM install these file will include the OEM custom apps and drivers - effectively a 'factory reset' drive. It is extracting an install image from your existing system files that takes the time.

The steps in making a recovery drive are shown in this tutorial...

Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10 | Tutorials

• first you choose whether or not to include system files (step 5 in tutorial)
    • next the recovery drive files are constructed (this can take a long time if you include system files)
    • only after that is complete will you be asked which usb to use (step 6 in tutorial). At this point you will be told how large a usb you need.

Without system files 512 Mb is sufficient. Including system files it will be just over 4GB.

At which step did you get the error? If you were not asked which usb to use then it was the construction of the system files that failed, nothing to do with what usb you had.

3. RCoon Win User
    Macbook system/file recovery [Help!!]

Tear out the drive and then run PhotoRec from a PartedMagic Live CD. PhotoRec recovers anything and everything that has bits and keeps it as it is. Format the drive after recovery, reinstall the OSX and dump the files back on.

RCoon, Nov 30, 2020
  4. Reinstall Windows from Recovery USB without losing files

How to: Create a Recovery Drive for reinstalling Windows 10

When the recovery drive program reaches the step to "select USB Drive" no USB drives are listed even though the USB clearly shows up in File Explorer.

CathyMiller3, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

Reinstall Windows from Recovery USB without losing files

1. Reinstall Windows from Recovery USB without losing files - Similar Threads - Reinstall Recovery USB

2. Reinstall Windows without losing data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Windows without losing data: If I use media creation tool - upgrade this pc now, then it will keep my apps and files?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-without-losing-data/3c3f5739-b3c1-401e-8b1b-b7fbd8f51743
  3. Reinstall Windows without losing data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Windows without losing data: If I use media creation tool - upgrade this pc now, then it will keep my apps and files?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-without-losing-data/3c3f5739-b3c1-401e-8b1b-b7fbd8f51743
  4. Reinstall Windows without losing data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to reinstall windows from usb without losing files or apps if possible

How to reinstall windows from usb without losing files or apps if possible: I cannot log into my user account and I would like to reinstall windows without losing data from a usb. How could I go about doing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-reinstall-windows-from-usb-without-losing/bccaa6c8-551c-4fc1-9393-8822ae82ccc5
  6. Reinstalling windows from recovery usb

Reinstalling windows from recovery usb: I downloaed the program from the site and my dead computer does recognize the drive and for at least 90 minutes it says SET UP IS STARTING. How long will this continue? Just let it run all night? help, please....
  7. Repair windows from USB without losing data and program files

Repair windows from USB without losing data and program files: So I recently installed an SSD onto my pc that was previously running off just an HDD. I cloned the HDD disk onto the SSD and changed my bootup option to the SSD in the BIOS. Then I cleaned the HDD through command prompt, tried booting up again off the SSD but am getting the...
  8. how to reinstall windows 10 from recovery drive without losing personal files????

how to reinstall windows 10 from recovery drive without losing personal files????: I created a recovery drive for my windows 10 PC. Now my PC not works well. So I wish to reinstall windows from the recovery drive I created. I need all my personal files. Also I need to reinstall windows. Please guide me in correct way what should I do?????...
  9. how to reinstall windows 10 from recovery drive without losing personal files?????

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to reinstall windows 10 from recovery drive without losing personal files?????: I created a recovery drive for my windows 10 PC. Now my PC not works well. So I wish to reinstall windows from the recovery drive I created. I need all my personal files. Also I need to reinstall windows. Please guide me in correct way what should I do????? Please...
  10. how to reinstall windows 10 from recovery drive without losing personal files???

how to reinstall windows 10 from recovery drive without losing personal files???: I created a recovery drive for my windows 10 PC. Now my PC not works well. So I wish to reinstall windows from the recovery drive I created. I need all my personal files. Also I need to reinstall windows. Please guide me in correct way what should I do?????...