Windows 10: Reinstall Windows on a separate drive

Discus and support Reinstall Windows on a separate drive in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Currently I'm booting on to my C: drive which is normally just a backup drive. My current D: drive is the drive I normally boot to but when I do, it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by chujiaguo, Aug 9, 2022.

1. chujiaguo Win User

Reinstall Windows on a separate drive

Currently I'm booting on to my C: drive which is normally just a backup drive. My current D: drive is the drive I normally boot to but when I do, it's just a black screen after the load screen with the spinning circle. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm wondering if I can reinstall windows onto the D: drive without wiping all the data.Thanks!

:)

chujiaguo, Aug 9, 2022

2. Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Aug 9, 2022
  3. little cat, Aug 9, 2022
  4. zbook Win User

Reinstalling Windows (what drive)

It may be possible to troubleshoot and fix the boot problems and operating system/registry problems.
    Sometimes access denied can be fixed.
    Sometimes missing dll files can be fixed.

If you clean install, it can be performed in the shortest time however the files will be cleaned.
    If you boot rescue the files can be backed up to another drive.

If you troubleshoot these are the initial steps.
    The next steps will be based on the results displayed from these commands.

Perform the following steps:

1) Find a flash drive that you can format: ( > or = 8 GB)
    2) Create a bootable Windows 10 iso (now Windows 10 build 1803)
    Download Windows 10
    3) Insert the bootable Windows 10 iso flash drive into any USB port
    4) Power on the computer and click the applicable keyboard key or modify the BIOS boot order so that the USB external HD is on top
    List of PC brands with their corresponding hot-keys
    5) It may take 5 - 10 minutes for the iso to load while viewing the Microsoft Windows icon
    6) Select the language, time, currency, and keyboard, or click next
    7) Click troubleshoot
    8) Click command prompt > Administrator: X:\Windows\System32.cmd.exe > X:\Sources>
    PLEASE USE A CAMERA OR SMART PHONE CAMERA TO TAKE PICTURES AND POST IMAGES OF ALL OF THE FOLLOWING STEPS:
    Type all of these commands.
    Comments are in parenthesis.

9) bcdedit /enum
    10) bcdedit | find "osdevice"
    11) C:
    12) dir
    13) D:
    14) dir
    14) E:
    15) dir
    16) diskpart
    17) list disk
    18) list volume
    19) select disk 0
    20) detail disk
    21) list partition
    22) select partition 1
    23) detail partition
    24) select partition 2
    25) detail partition
    26) select partition 3
    27) detail partition
    28) select partition 4
    29) detail partition
    30) select disk 1
    31) detail disk
    32) list partition
    33) select disk 2
    34) detail disk
    35) list partition
    36) sfc /scannow /offbootdir=B:\ /offwindir=B:\windows
    (change the letters B to the drive letter displayed in steps #10)
    37) chkdsk /r B:
    (change the letter B to the partition drive letter seen in step #10)
    (This may take many hours and typically displays ETA.)
    38) (reboot as needed)
    39) (reopen command prompt > Administrator: X:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>
    40) bootrec /fixmbr
    41) bootrec /fixboot
    42) bootrec /scanos
    43) bootrec /rebuildbcd
    44) (reboot)

zbook, Aug 9, 2022
Thema:

1. Reinstall Windows on a separate drive - Similar Threads - Reinstall separate drive

2. Can I reinstall windows 10 on a separate drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I reinstall windows 10 on a separate drive?: I have two drives, one SSD and one HDD both connected to my motherboard. I have windows installed on both them. I use the SSD as the main boot and my main OS. I performed a simple driver update on the Storage Controller from Device Manager and when I restarted I got hit with...
  3. Can I reinstall windows 10 on a separate drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I reinstall windows 10 on a separate drive?: I have two drives, one SSD and one HDD both connected to my motherboard. I have windows installed on both them. I use the SSD as the main boot and my main OS. I performed a simple driver update on the Storage Controller from Device Manager and when I restarted I got hit with...
  4. Can I reinstall windows 10 on a separate drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reinstall Windows on a separate drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Windows on a separate drive: Currently I'm booting on to my C: drive which is normally just a backup drive. My current D: drive is the drive I normally boot to but when I do, it's just a black screen after the load screen with the spinning circle. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm wondering if I...
  6. Reinstall Windows on a separate drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reinstall Windows on a separate drive: Currently I'm booting on to my C: drive which is normally just a backup drive. My current D: drive is the drive I normally boot to but when I do, it's just a black screen after the load screen with the spinning circle. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm wondering if I...
  7. Separate Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Separate Hard Drive: My C Drive only has 100Gb free. Will I be able to install Microsoft Flight Sim data on the E drive where I have lots of space? Bryan https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/separate-hard-drive/a74a3df4-ef72-402b-95d5-6813869a431f
  8. SEPARATE DRIVES

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SEPARATE DRIVES: Hello r/Windows10! My PC currently has 1 HDD running Windows 10. I would like to add another hard drive to encrypt private information. I would like the drive to be inaccessible by my current version of Windows and the drive should have its own OS that I can boot into from...
  9. 2 copies of Windows on separate drives?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    2 copies of Windows on separate drives?: I have a laptop and would like to install a "clean" copy of Windows for my recording studio application. Thus when I want to run regular PC apps I load the Windows that came with the PC. When I want to record, I load the "clean" copy. I know its possible to install two but...
  10. XP and Windows 10 on separate drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    XP and Windows 10 on separate drives: As a precaution, to make sure Windows 10 was fully compatible with my desktop PC and to have easy access to all my files, I added a clean SSD and installed Win 10 on that. Somewhere during installation, I was probably asked if I wanted to install a dual-boot system (I don't...