Windows 10: reinstall windows without wiping data

Discus and support reinstall windows without wiping data in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'll start off with saying I'm an idiot for not backing up my files before my pc crashed and gave me the blue screen of death. Is there a way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jproulx974, Jul 15, 2020.

1. reinstall windows without wiping data

I'll start off with saying I'm an idiot for not backing up my files before my pc crashed and gave me the blue screen of death. Is there a way to reinstall windows and still keep my files on my hard drive? Can I use the installation media from a usb without wiping my computer? Or should I use the reset my pc option?

:)

Jproulx974, Jul 15, 2020
  2. Kursah Win User

Most painless way to reinstall windows 10?

It depends on the junk accumulated honestly, but there are various methods. You can always remove programs, delete download folder, media locations, etc. As some have suggested, keeping some items on a separate internal storage drive is an option as well. Depends on what you have, what your budget is and how you want to handle your system and data.

The method @RejZoR suggests is sound and a method I've used dozens if not hundreds of time with great success in the field. In many cases though the goal is to keep user data intact, and to repair the OS. In place upgrade as it is called is also only doable in that method if you can boot to desktop, if you can't, it is time for some more advanced options or a format & reinstall.

With Windows 8 and 10 there are refresh and reset options that can be leveraged as well. Hold Shift and click Restart to reboot your system, this will get you into the advanced boot menu, which you'll need to choose advanced options (I forget ATM what it is called) and choose one of a couple items, refresh or reset.

Refresh is essentially In Place Upgrade but a little more aggressive as it wipes the Windows Apps and you may need to reinstall programs. Reset is like an OS reinstall, wipes user data, wipes profiles, registry, performs a install from the system image. Often times I'll do this and bypass using a USB key on a system. Though there are instances where these options will not work if a system has a level of corruption that has not been repaired/resolved. Check the OS Repair link in my sig for more info if ya need.

*Toast :toast:

Kursah, Jul 15, 2020
  3. Change motherboards without reinstalling Windows 7!

Don't even need to go through all those steps. Once you got into safe mode,windows 7 will rebuild it's drivers automatically. Boot normally and then install chipset drivers if not already in.

Edit:
    One thing though, it gets hectic with RAID and you will NEED to reinstall/rebuild the array. Only circumstance where you will find driver conflicts.

Edit2:

See edit 1 peet.

JrRacinFan, Jul 15, 2020
  4. f14tomcat Win User

reinstall windows without wiping data

Latest Version Malwarebytes Anti Exploit

*Thumbs

f14tomcat, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

reinstall windows without wiping data

1. reinstall windows without wiping data - Similar Threads - reinstall without wiping

2. Help! Reinstall windows without wiping the drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help! Reinstall windows without wiping the drive.: Hi there, not used old Acer laptop in 5 years, I got to login on laptop which runs on Microsoft, but asking for password I used 5 years ago! Call Acer, they say call Microsoft and ask “reinstall windows but not to wipe drive”. I’ve called Microsoft and I’ve been passed around...
  3. Help! Reinstall windows without wiping the drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help! Reinstall windows without wiping the drive.: Hi there, not used old Acer laptop in 5 years, I got to login on laptop which runs on Microsoft, but asking for password I used 5 years ago! Call Acer, they say call Microsoft and ask “reinstall windows but not to wipe drive”. I’ve called Microsoft and I’ve been passed around...
  4. Reinstall Windows without losing data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall Windows without losing data: If I use media creation tool - upgrade this pc now, then it will keep my apps and files?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-without-losing-data/3c3f5739-b3c1-401e-8b1b-b7fbd8f51743
  5. Reinstall Windows without losing data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall Windows without losing data: If I use media creation tool - upgrade this pc now, then it will keep my apps and files?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-windows-without-losing-data/3c3f5739-b3c1-401e-8b1b-b7fbd8f51743
  6. Reinstall Windows without losing data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Reinstalling Windows 10 Without Data Loss

Reinstalling Windows 10 Without Data Loss: Hi, I recently have needed to reinstall windows 10. I tried using the media creation tool from Microsoft. Doing this led to me getting stuck in an automatic repair loop which eventually I managed to get out of. I still now need to reinstall windows but I don't want to use...
  8. Data wipe

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Data wipe: So I was wondering if I restart windows via wipe all data future how much disk space will windows take? submitted by /u/isusbog45 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gw2c59/data_wipe/
  9. Reinstall OS without ruining data?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall OS without ruining data?: Hi guys, sorry to come here with more of a tech support question (I'm not really getting any traction anywhere else, unfortunately). I have an SSD with Win 10 installed on it - my main drive. I was messing around with some stuff and using Win10 to edit partitions on other...
  10. Reinstalling Windows 10 on SSD and wiping data on HDD

Reinstalling Windows 10 on SSD and wiping data on HDD: I recently added an SSD to my PC which already had a 2 TB HDD. Everything works perfectly fine, but I want to install a fresh copy of Windows 10 onto my SSD and use that as my boot drive and wipe all the current data from my HDD. I don't want to do data migration. How would I...