Windows 10: Reinstalled my Windows 10 onto SSD on the same PC and now Windows says the serial number is...

Discus and support Reinstalled my Windows 10 onto SSD on the same PC and now Windows says the serial number is... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; This is preventing me from activating and I'm unsure what to do when I'm using the exact same PC. Any help? Cheers, William... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by LostintheBardo, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Reinstalled my Windows 10 onto SSD on the same PC and now Windows says the serial number is...

This is preventing me from activating and I'm unsure what to do when I'm using the exact same PC. Any help?

Cheers,
    William

:)

LostintheBardo, Nov 30, 2019

2. Windows 10 serial on OEM

So I'll summarize steps made...

1. Saved serial number (taken with Belarc Advisory) from preinstalled (half chinese language) Windows 8.1 (don't know exactly the version, suspect Windows 8.1 with bing) on tablet
    2. Formatted tablet
    3. Tried to make a clean Windows 10 (HOME, HOME N and also PRO, everytime with the same result) install with ISO taken with MediaCreationTool, during install (and also after completing installation) it says that the saved serial is not valid
    4. Tried to reinstall Windows 8.1 (ISO taken with MediaCreationTool again) HOME, it says that the serial is not valid

So i suspect that the saved serial, is from a WINDOWS 8.1 WITH BING OEM version and this kind of ISO is not accessible/downloadable anywhere (at least I can't find it, any suggestion?)

Still not tried SHOWKEY with that serial, I am in office now, and the serial is saved on a usb pen at home, will try this evening.

So I'm stucked but if everything is like I suspect, it's incredible. If I have a tablet/notebook/netbook with Windows 8 preinstalled, it seems that I can update to Windows 10 without problems, but if I want to make a clean Windows 10 install that serial is not valid...

CapitanCatarro, Nov 30, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 30, 2019
  4. Reinstalled my Windows 10 onto SSD on the same PC and now Windows says the serial number is...

How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Nov 30, 2019
Thema:

Reinstalled my Windows 10 onto SSD on the same PC and now Windows says the serial number is...

1. Reinstalled my Windows 10 onto SSD on the same PC and now Windows says the serial number is... - Similar Threads - Reinstalled onto SSD

2. Windows serial number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows serial number: Hi, last week i bought a new laptop with DOS so i installed Windows 11 and then i I bought actiavion key online. I activeted windows, everything went good but laptop started to get BSOD atleast once evry 30-60 minutes so i sended it back to the store and apperently it was...
  3. Windows serial number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows serial number: Hi, last week i bought a new laptop with DOS so i installed Windows 11 and then i I bought actiavion key online. I activeted windows, everything went good but laptop started to get BSOD atleast once evry 30-60 minutes so i sended it back to the store and apperently it was...
  4. Reinstall windows 10 onto laptop with failed SSD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstall windows 10 onto laptop with failed SSD.: Hi all,A little bit ago my laptops SSD failed. I had an old computer to use as a backup and was doing so until it recently started experiencing some major lags. I decided to replace my SSD in my ASUS Ux430 and try to get it up and running again. The old SSD had windows 10 on...
  5. Reinstall windows 10 onto ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reinstall windows 10 onto ssd: So i got a 1tb ssd and was wondering how i set it up and install windows onto it. Right now i use a 1tb hard drive with windows and all of my stuff on it. How do i install windows onto my SSD? Do i install windows 10 onto a flash drive and use it as my boot device? Or do i...
  6. Paperport 14.5- crashed. I uninstalled. Now cannot reinstall b/c says "serial number is...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Paperport 14.5- crashed. I uninstalled. Now cannot reinstall b/c says "serial number is...: I have my paid for purchased copy saved. I have the serial number from this original software download. I know it is correct. But the wizard will *not* take it. Is this perhaps a Windows glitch? I cannot get anywhere with Nuance/Kofax who makes the software. Thought maybe...
  7. reinstalling w10 onto ssd?

reinstalling w10 onto ssd?: laptop comes with 2 drives it looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/bDw1QSf disk 1= hdd disk 0 = sdd question #1: im guessing w10 is running on the hdd? but the sdd says it has 'system' w/e that means w10 installed, is activated did the windows updates problem:...
  8. Reinstalled windows 10 onto my ssd everything is gone

Reinstalled windows 10 onto my ssd everything is gone: I reinstalled windows 10 onto my new ssd from the usb media and wen i loaded my desktop back up all my apps and games were gone. I check my hardrive and the storage is still there with everything but i have to reinstall everything even tho its on my drive. When i do...
  9. Windows 10 Serial Number

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Serial Number: Just bought an SSD, planning on reinstalling Win10 on it. I can't use CMD, so... Is the "Product ID" the same as the Serial number/Product key? Edit: Solved, thanks to everyone...
  10. Find Serial Number of Windows PC

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Find Serial Number of Windows PC: How to: Find Serial Number of Windows PC How to Find Serial Number of Windows PC Sometimes abbreviated as Serial No., SN or S/N, a serial number is a unique number assigned to the PC by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) used for identification and inventory...