Windows 10: Reinstalled Windows 10 on same computer/ no hardware changes and I can't activate

Discus and support Reinstalled Windows 10 on same computer/ no hardware changes and I can't activate in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I installed a clean copy of windows 10 on my homemade computer. But as it was going through its updates I had a problem and had to reinstall the OS.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Scoobydoobydoobydoobydo, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Reinstalled Windows 10 on same computer/ no hardware changes and I can't activate

I installed a clean copy of windows 10 on my homemade computer. But as it was going through its updates I had a problem and had to reinstall the OS. Now the activation key doesn't work and troubleshooting is no use either

:)

Scoobydoobydoobydoobydo, Nov 9, 2018

2. Activation problems after hardware changes and reinstallations.

Hi Meli,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Was Windows 10 activated before re-installing it?

Along with the suggestions provided by Greg, you can also refer the steps below.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    If you replace the CPU, TPM, or Motherboard you may have to re-activate but this will not require a purchase of Windows 10.

Why can't I activate Windows 10?:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Get help with Windows 10 activation errors:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Can I clean re-install Windows 10 after upgrading?

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 9, 2018
  3. Windows can´t activate after hardware change.

Hi Elias,

When you make important hardware changes such as replacing the motherboard or hard drive, Windows 10
    is unable to identify your computer correctly. As a result, the operating system won't activate.

To help you resolve your concern, add your Microsoft account and link it to the digital license. You may refer to the steps provided on this

link
    . The link has steps on how to add your Microsoft account and use the Activation troubleshooter.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to let us know.

Raymond Ave, Nov 9, 2018
  4. Reinstalled Windows 10 on same computer/ no hardware changes and I can't activate

How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

Reinstalled Windows 10 on same computer/ no hardware changes and I can't activate

1. Reinstalled Windows 10 on same computer/ no hardware changes and I can't activate - Similar Threads - Reinstalled same computer

2. Windows Activation after reinstall on same computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activation after reinstall on same computer: I want to gift my current PC to my son as I have just bought a new PC. The current PC is Windows 10 Pro and activation says "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account". I am going to reinstall windows afresh using a USB created using the...
  3. Windows Activation after reinstall on same computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Activation after reinstall on same computer: I want to gift my current PC to my son as I have just bought a new PC. The current PC is Windows 10 Pro and activation says "Windows is activated with a digital licence linked to your Microsoft account". I am going to reinstall windows afresh using a USB created using the...
  4. Windows Activation after reinstall on same computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Hardware change, can't activate Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hardware change, can't activate Windows: Hardware change, can't activate Windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hardware-change-cant-activate-windows/7392d83f-8d32-4cfe-bb6e-54a0642cb88e
  6. Hardware change, can't activate Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hardware change, can't activate Windows: Hardware change, can't activate Windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hardware-change-cant-activate-windows/7392d83f-8d32-4cfe-bb6e-54a0642cb88e
  7. Hardware change, can't activate Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. change of hardware can't activate windows

change of hardware can't activate windows: Hey I recently upgraded my computer so now I can't activate my windows, please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-of-hardware-cant-activate-windows/d6b68ebc-3432-4d48-b100-d0367bddc93f
  9. Can't activate windows after changing some hardware + reinstall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't activate windows after changing some hardware + reinstall: A fault on my mobo fried my CPU and NVMe SSD so had to replace hardware and do complete reinstall. I go in to activation settings and run the troubleshooter, click the "I recently changed hardware" link but it won't let me recover my old activation key? Otherwise it's like a...
  10. I Can't activate Windows 10 after hardware change

I Can't activate Windows 10 after hardware change: Yesterday I changed CPU, motherboard and RAM on my PC. Everything works fine as with the previous hardware but a while after turning on the PC I get the Activate Windows watermark. (At the moment of writing this there is no watermark) NOTE: My system is in Spanish so some...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cant activate visio same computer