Windows 10: Reinstalled Windows and now my Start Menu search is broken

Discus and support Reinstalled Windows and now my Start Menu search is broken in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Edit: Ah for God's sake. It's still on 1809. I didn't realise we need to manually approve feature updates. My previous installation just did it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/BrotoriousNIG, Jan 14, 2020 at 10:02 AM.

1. Reinstalled Windows and now my Start Menu search is broken

Edit: Ah for God's sake. It's still on 1809.

I didn't realise we need to manually approve feature updates. My previous installation just did it without asking, so I guess that's a Professional thing. I'll bring it up to 1909 and if the problem is still there I'll make a new thread.

I've tried rebuilding the index

I've searched the sub and the Web but didn't find any solutions outside of rebuilding the index. Most similar questions seemed to be about search working but the applications not opening when clicked on.

Edit: added screenshots

I've had the same installation of Windows 10 Home since the free upgrade from Windows 7. Last week, I installed Windows 10 Professional from scratch to solve some problems irrelevant to this topic (access violation errors in some applications) and now the Start Menu search is failing to find applications. On my previous installation this problem has never, to my recollection, occured.

Examples

For example, if I hit the Windows key and type "spot" the autocomplete suggests spotify, but the search results are for web searches for Spotify, not the application, which is installed and visible on the Start Menu. Completing the word does not change this. If I click on "Apps" at the top, I get a result for the Spotify app on the Windows Store, rather than the installed desktop (i.e. non-Store) application.

Searching for "Outlook" gives me results for outlook.com, but not the application. Searching for "Word" gives me the Wordpad application. Searching for "Excel" gives me a Bing search for Excel. Searching for "Sublime" gives me a Bing search for "Sublime Text". All of these applications are installed and openable from the Start Menu. In the case of Sublime and Spotify, it is weird that the autocomplete seems to know about the application, but the search results do not.

It seems to work fine for the following applications though: GIMP, Visual Studio Code, WinDirStat, PuTTY, Filezilla.

Any ideas what's going on?

Screenshots

Search for "spot" for Spotify

Apps tab for that search

Search for "Sublime" for "Sublime Text"

submitted by /u/BrotoriousNIG
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/BrotoriousNIG, Jan 14, 2020 at 10:02 AM

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

3. Dims Win User
    Start Menu is broken after installing Windows 10

After installing Windows 10, my Start Menu got totally broken.

Most of the programs and absent in it now. They can't be found neither by search, nor by step-by-step navigation.

Some of programs are substituted for another versions.

Simultaneously, the Start Menu folder is Ok in filesystem.

So my entire Start Menu is useless now.

To run any program, I am opening Far Manager (file manager), opening Start Menu folder in it and doing search for appropriate *.lnk file.

I.e. I am doing by hand what Windows should do with it's Start Menu feature.

*.lnk files are working fine.

Various aspects of the problem were discussed in questions:

Where are ALL locations of Start Menu folders in Windows 10?

How to fix / refresh start menu in Windows 10? How to add / remove / edit items in bulk?

Can't find applications anymore in Windows 10

So, please don't suggest primitive solutions, covered there?

4. Reinstalled Windows and now my Start Menu search is broken

Vanessa Sohtun, Jan 14, 2020 at 10:18 AM
Thema:

Reinstalled Windows and now my Start Menu search is broken

1. Reinstalled Windows and now my Start Menu search is broken - Similar Threads - Reinstalled Start Menu

2. Windows 10 1909 MUI broken search bar and start menu

in Cortana
    Windows 10 1909 MUI broken search bar and start menu: Hi folks, I installed Windows 10 1909 from scratch in english. After that I installed via dism.exe german language pack call dism.exe /norestart /online /add-package /packagepath:"c:\temp\Microsoft-Windows-Client-Language-Pack_x64_de-de.cab" and set the default display...
  3. Broken icons start menu search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Broken icons start menu search: [ATTACH] In the last 2 days I found this issue on my windows, not sure how many icons are affected but it looks really awful, it seem to be only on the search part of the start menu and to include most but not all the apps, what can I do to fix it? Thanks...
  4. Windows 10 Start menu broken

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Start menu broken: We have a few machines where the start menu is just broken, clicking on the Start button or pressing the Windows key does nothing, which makes the system pretty difficult to use. There used to be a Start Menu Troubleshooter tool, however this has now been removed and...
  5. Broken item in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Broken item in Start Menu: Hi Please could someone assist me with removing the following item in my Start Menu: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broken-item-in-start-menu/7aa56942-3cde-49d1-a75a-38afb23a89f1
  6. Broken(unclickable) App Search Result in Start Menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    Broken(unclickable) App Search Result in Start Menu.: I have GeForce Experience installed and working perfectly. However, when I try to navigate to it through the windows app search, an unknown file is shown which does not respond to either left or right click. Screenshot attached. How can I find where the file shown in...
  7. Start button search broken?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start button search broken?: When I click on the Start button and type control panel, I'm sitting under Bing search which is definitely now what I want. What I expect is for this to work like it use to where it should bring Control Panel to the top left pane so I can select it to open Control panel....
  8. windows start menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    windows start menu search: i can't seem to see that windows finds simple "apps"\(programs)" like the blizzard app, twitch app etc... is there some setting that enables me to do this? so far i narrowed it down to the indexing of files. maybe that'll do something. every time i search for "twitch"...
  9. Start Menu search not working after reinstall

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu search not working after reinstall: I performed a reinstall of Windows 10 build 10532. Since then, Start menu search shows no results. Attached a pic, showing DC++ pinned to start, but still not showing during search. Please help This is really frustrating 22902
  10. No Start Menu, Search

in Windows 10 Support
    No Start Menu, Search: All, I upgraded Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home. It worked for a couple of days and suddenly there is no Start Menu (Click start and nothing happens) and no Search box (Icon present but nothing happens when clicked). MY machine is slower accessing all menus...