Windows 10: Reinstalled windows + changed motherboard ram cpu gpu, no longer have activation key

Discus and support Reinstalled windows + changed motherboard ram cpu gpu, no longer have activation key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, i recently upgraded my pc and had to reinstall windows. It now says i do not have an activation key and it gives me an annoying popup. I previously... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by TorbWasTaken, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Reinstalled windows + changed motherboard ram cpu gpu, no longer have activation key

Hi, i recently upgraded my pc and had to reinstall windows. It now says i do not have an activation key and it gives me an annoying popup. I previously had windows 7 which i upgraded to windows 10, and currently have windows 10 64 bit home edition. Can't really use live chat on phone, so i'm not sure what to do. Thanks in advance.

:)

TorbWasTaken, Dec 6, 2018
  2. erpster4 Win User

Changed Motherboard CPU and Ram windows is now not activated

OP could try a phone activation of Win10 as a last resort since he changed the motherboard, processor & RAM, which is pretty close to doing an "overhaul" of an computer

what were the original (old) motherboard, original CPU and old RAM chips before this problem occured?
    and what kind of new board, new CPU & new RAM sticks did OP use before trying to reactivate Win10?

I know replacing an old motherboard with a new board that uses a different chipset & RAM chips (lets say old board uses AMD CPU with DDR3 RAM sticks and new board uses Intel CPU but using DDR4 RAM sticks) is pretty much a very substantial change that will require re-activation.

erpster4, Dec 6, 2018
  3. Re-activating windows after Motherboard, CPU and ram change

Hello HonCheung,

About a year or so ago, I upgraded my gaming PC's motherboard and CPU from AMD to Intel and this was a question I had as well. At the end of the day, I was able to reactivate my copy of Windows 10 without too much hassle. This process will differ depending
    on the type of Windows 10 license that you have.

Here's a snippet from Microsoft regarding this process: "You can reinstall Windows 10 after you make a significant hardware change to your PC (such as replacing the motherboard), but it may no longer be activated. If you were running Windows 10 before the hardware
    change, use the Activation troubleshooter to reactivate Windows."

Using the Activation troubleshooter -
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20527/...

I hope this helps and let us know if you require further assistance. Thank you.

BravoMan21, Dec 6, 2018
  4. Reinstalled windows + changed motherboard ram cpu gpu, no longer have activation key

I want to change my motherboard, cpu and ram.

Can i change my motherboard,cpu and ram without re-installing windows or loosing the license.

Currently i have Intel CPU and i want to change it to Ryzen cpu.

Gorelov Bogdan, Dec 6, 2018
Thema:

Reinstalled windows + changed motherboard ram cpu gpu, no longer have activation key

1. Reinstalled windows + changed motherboard ram cpu gpu, no longer have activation key - Similar Threads - Reinstalled changed motherboard

2. Windows 11 Reactivation - changed Motherboard/CPU/RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Reactivation - changed Motherboard/CPU/RAM: My display has the dreaded watermark of death "Activate Windows, Go to Settings to activate Windows"I just got done swapping my old motherboard/CPU to my wife's Windows 10 desktop, and I purchased new ones for myself, also upgrading to DDR5 ram in the process, so indeed a...
  3. Windows 11 Reactivation - changed Motherboard/CPU/RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Reactivation - changed Motherboard/CPU/RAM: My display has the dreaded watermark of death "Activate Windows, Go to Settings to activate Windows"I just got done swapping my old motherboard/CPU to my wife's Windows 10 desktop, and I purchased new ones for myself, also upgrading to DDR5 ram in the process, so indeed a...
  4. all games crashing after changing cpu motherboard ram but the gpu is the same

in Windows 10 Gaming
    all games crashing after changing cpu motherboard ram but the gpu is the same: i have been crashing in every game for many errors blue screens these are a few errors i've been getting--------------------------------------------------Log Name: Application Source: Application Hang Date: 5/26/2022 12:47:57 AM Event ID: 1002 Task Category: 101 Level: Error...
  5. all games crashing after changing cpu motherboard ram but the gpu is the same

all games crashing after changing cpu motherboard ram but the gpu is the same: i have been crashing in every game for many errors blue screens these are a few errors i've been getting--------------------------------------------------Log Name: Application Source: Application Hang Date: 5/26/2022 12:47:57 AM Event ID: 1002 Task Category: 101 Level: Error...
  6. Windows won't activate after changing motherboard/CPU/RAM + windows reinstall

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows won't activate after changing motherboard/CPU/RAM + windows reinstall: So i literally just changed my hardware, reinstalled windows and won't activate.Last time i activated windows was with the Free windows 7 - 10 free upgrade, 6 years ago - So im left at a loss.How do i get Microsoft to allow my windows to get activated again?...
  7. Windows won't activate after changing motherboard/CPU/RAM + windows reinstall

Windows won't activate after changing motherboard/CPU/RAM + windows reinstall: So i literally just changed my hardware, reinstalled windows and won't activate.Last time i activated windows was with the Free windows 7 - 10 free upgrade, 6 years ago - So im left at a loss.How do i get Microsoft to allow my windows to get activated again?...
  8. Windows won't activate after changing motherboard/CPU/RAM + windows reinstall

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. Windows Won't Activate After MotherBoard, CPU, and RAM change.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Won't Activate After MotherBoard, CPU, and RAM change.: First off, I had to reinstall windows after it (almost) booted to a blue screen after the hardware change, figured that would happen so no big surprise. Got to the troubleshoot screen and reinstalled or whatever its called from there. Works great, except windows doesn't want...
  10. Changed Motherboard CPU and Ram windows is now not activated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Changed Motherboard CPU and Ram windows is now not activated: Hi I have been running an retail windows 10 pro on this PC for years which has been activated from new. I have just Changed Motherboard CPU and Ram and now windows is NOT activated nor can I activate it. I checked my MS account and it shows I have 2 devices both the same...